ORFFU 2023 Pre-Season Draft

Discussion in 'ORFFU' started by YAD69, Feb 15, 2022.

1. insider

insider Administrator Staff Member

I concur with my learned colleague from the west

2. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

@Wolffy84 Is there a solution to more trades? I only have one idea and that would increase teams to 30 players ......

3. Wolffy84

Wolffy84 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the extra background. As they say, "People can come up with statistics to prove anything. 14% of people know that!" So it's always good to get the background story.

There is no right number of trades and also no specific reason coaches have to trade. But a quick check of the trade thread suggests a third of coaches are yet to trade or post players/draft picks they are interested in. More just trying to make sure that everybody has a good opportunity to review their lists and get active before draft day.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Wolffy84

That's a great question. I run a small BBL keeper league. We are two seasons in and I'd love to see more trades happening in that one also. We may bring in incentives for frequent traders, related to overseas player retention picks. Coaches get very attached to their players, and they are their players, so they have every right to be.

I agree that larger squads increase the opportunities for trades, but it's not a guarantee. The coaches that like to trade, will probably be the first ones doing the extra trading. And more players in squads lowers the value of the draft pools.

So the more players in squads, the greater benefit to the early and frequent traders. So you may get a widening gap in squad quality between the frequent and not so frequent traders.

5. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

Not completely true. Its a minimum 4 players turnover - this can be achieved however a choach wants to - it doesn't have to be draft picks (it can be all trades).

I completely agree with the points you've made here:
    Coaches are very attached to their own players (myself included), and often over-value their own players, while undervaluing players in other teams, and sometimes even draft picks...
    Going very off-topic here, but maybe a reduction in squad sizes (yes I know we increased them only a few years back) will see more player turnover as each player makes up a bigger portion of the squad, and is thus more valuable, so they need to be performing, not speculative.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Wolffy84

Thank you. Personally, I think the current squad size is quite good, offering coaches the opportunity to speculate somewhat, but not too much, on a handful of players.

My original post wasn't directed at trying to cause wholesale changes to squad sizes in the league. More about identifying a trend that coaches may be returning to their squads later than in previous seasons, and does this impact when we should hold the PSD?

7. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

When we had those heavy trade years the PSD was before preseason games ........ I'm up for a trade at any point during the off-season , I regularly jump on to check my inbox. Plenty of opportunities after the draft to trade as well. I send out more DMs than come my way :(

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tylo

Tylo Moderator

I hated the increase in list sizes and would love to see it return to what it was. It's almost impossible to get a bargain in the draft now as nearly all players that show potential are already on lists.

On coaches getting attached to their players, the psychological theory of loss aversion explains this really well. The theory is well proven by studies and widely accepted. Basically the psychological impact of giving up a good player outweighs the impact of gaining a good player. It's how our brains are wired. Look up Daniel Kahnemann for a proper explanation.

• Like Like x 5
  9. YAD69

YAD69 Moderator Staff Member

Alrighty Coaches,
    I have updated the PSD23 Table and the PSD23 Order.
    Please check and let me know if there are any mistakes, I'll try and keep it up-to-date each day prior to the Draft.

• Like Like x 6
  10. eagle_eyed

eagle_eyed Training the house down!

I’m happy with the early draft, puts all of us on a level playing field, plus it always leaves some options for the MSD.

Leaves some time for coaches to trade after they’ve taken their picks.

• Like Like x 2
  11. YAD69

Hey Coaches,
    Just waiting for @JPK to get back to me regarding a pm that I sent him and then I'll update the PSD Order, hopefully that's tonight.

• Like Like x 3
  12. ron swanson

ron swanson Well-Known Member

Hey guys, just letting you all know that I'm in Perth so a couple of hours behind most of you and will be running around getting kids to school in the morning so might be a bit late getting the draft started. Advanced apologies for any frustration caused

13. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

There is a few of us in the west , all good mate....I believe it's a 24hr time limit on picks

14. YAD69

OK Coaches, I have updated the PSD 2023 order, it's the first post in this thread, Good Luck everyone!

• Like Like x 3
  15. ron swanson

With the first pick of the 2023 Draft Pearcedale selects Will Ashcroft, Brisbane.

• Like Like x 8
  16. choppers

choppers Well-Known Member

(b) There will be a 12 hour (maximum) time limit on picks. If you don't pick within time you will be given the highest ranked player on previous season averages. If the time limit isn’t practical, you must notify the ORFFU in advance – i.e. if it is one or two picks before yours but you are flat out at work or have a wedding etc. then post that you may need to extend your 12 hours. Alternatively, nominate a proxy and give them a standby list.

• Like Like x 3
  17. ron swanson

With the second pick of the 2023 Draft Pearcedale selects George Wardlaw, North Melbourne

• Like Like x 5
  18. fresh

fresh Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 5
  19. Wolffy84

With pick 4, the Horsham Huskies select Elijah Tsatas

@wrightbrendan

That's my draft done, but will be around to discuss potential trades. Have a fun draft everybody.

• Like Like x 5
  20. wrightbrendan

wrightbrendan Well-Known Member

Apologies all. Sympathetic to the boys in the West as I'm currently in the outer, outer west of South Africa. Up and about now though and ready to make our selection.

At pick 5 Serengeti select Aaron Cadman.

@Batfink

• Like Like x 6