ORFFA round 1 review

Discussion in 'Blog' started by That KI Guy, Mar 21, 2023.

By That KI Guy on Mar 21, 2023 at 8:09 AM
  1. That KI Guy

That KI Guy Moderator Staff Member

Penned by the mighty @TerryinBangkok

Round 1 – Here we go again

I am guessing most coaches were keen to see how their new acquisitions from the draft would go. Any visible signs of improvement in the team, or perhaps that the footy gods might be kinder this year. Those hosting games at home anxiously watching if the grass survived the rock concert. And a bunch of new AFL coaches – any subtle changes in role for my stars? Owners of Dunkleys and Lairds no doubt confident about the outcome of this round.

Battlers 1255 vs Cave Men 1093

Bit of a toweling here, Birdsville picking up where they left off in the last round of the previous season. Scores were fairly ordinary all round except for the Birdsville backs who combined for 3 tons. The No. 1 draft pick was busy on the bench signing autographs for Spelunkers fans. He is already complaining that the coach told him to get stuffed.

Devils 1241 vs Packers 1130

A scattering of tons for our resident ruck hogs saw them comfortably over the line. Another high draft pick was spotted sitting on the winner’s bench. Quite a good showing from the Packers, particularly when you cast an eye over some of the other scores on the weekend. The team is rounding out nicely.

Beetles 1018 vs Warriors 1035

Nothing comfortable about this one. A close encounter. Poo kept the Beetle Bench warm whereas the Warriors put Mackenzie on field. Tom Green looks like being top Beetle this season. The Warriors picked up two donuts in defence which will be a worry going forward. Fortunately, the former birdman Wittsy in the ruck dragged them over the

Chooks 1189 vs Cows 1207

Was topping up the old pullets with some young chicks the way to go? At least Brennan Cox has arrived and Charlie Constable may have a home.No rookies or risks for the Cows, but Coleman and Fyfe must be of some concern. Tmitch okay in his new colours, things back home in Hawkland not so good.

Cockies 1072 vs Wombats 1271

A 99 point victory. So what, I hear you ask.No young cockiesapart from Fergus on a bench of the bench. No rookie Wombats either but they must be thrilled in Wagga with the performance of LDU. Nicely balanced team the ‘Bats.

Hoppers 1298 vs Vultures 1268

Game of the round. The injury to Howe may have cost Venus the match. No mucking about with rookies for these two teams. The Hoppers will be very hard to beat again this year, even their bench would be welcome in most on-field teams, but Fitzy has shown us hope.

Cods 941 vs Nuffers 1284

All you teams lounging in the bottom half of the ladder, the Nuffers are showing the way. Rachele and the Goat were good for the hosts, but that was about it. The Nuffers gave JHF a run and will not regret that and had some impressive scorers all round, but they must trade for a ruck.

Lefties 1059 vs the Uglies 1339

Sometimes I think Mike’s team and mine have a lot in common. This causes me great concern on his behalf. At least he gave the kids a run in Goater and Wilmot. Junior will likely be on field next week. Fact you can count on it. There was nothing ugly about Mount Beauty top scoring for the round. A lesson for all in how to use your bench.

Lilacs 1123 vs Misfits 1223

Not 99 – a ton. No rookies for the Lilacs, but Tom Stewart. Ouch! Bodhi got a bench for the Misfits, but Josh Kelly and Whitfield. Double ouch! Still, the Giants showing a bit more resistance this year and that can only be good for Marble Bar.

Too early to talk about the table, but some interesting match-ups next week.

• Like Like x 11

Comments

Discussion in 'Blog' started by That KI Guy, Mar 21, 2023.

1. Len
    2. snoz
      snoz
      Miss you & love you TiB !!! Great write up my friend......
      • Like Like x 1
    3. Bandit
      Bandit
      Great write up TiB... Ashcroft might be on the pine again this week... might not, depends on how he behaves at training!
    4. JC
      JC
      Thanks, as always, @TerryinBangkok. Hope you're travelling ok there, mate.
      • Like Like x 1
    5. graeme
      graeme
      Succinct TiB. Oh, and to the point. Oh, and get stuffed @Bandit
      • Like Like x 2
    6. anthak
      anthak
      Thanks TiB, good one
    7. TerryinBangkok
      TerryinBangkok
      Return the love, WTF is George Wardllaw?
    8. snoz
      snoz
      Hahaha you’ll see in a few weeks !!!
      • Like Like x 1
    9. HeavyMen
      HeavyMen
      I see TiB is taking the writers licence, now going by "the mighty TiB" which I think was probably a miss print as he meant the "All Mighty" surely :p
      Nice start by Bama & the boys Ta La La La La LA (whistling whilst grinning like a banshee harder than I thought) :)
      • Like Like x 1
    10. TerryinBangkok
      TerryinBangkok
      Come on without, come on within,
    11. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      Thanks for the write up @TerryinBangkok

No doubt @chris88 has a long term plan for the ruck but Samson Ryan has been selected for his 2nd AFL game and hopefully provides the Nuffers with a better return than an out of position alternative
      • Like Like x 1
    12. HeavyMen
      HeavyMen
      You'll not see nothing like the (All) Mighty Quinn :)
    13. chris88
      chris88
      Yeah, so happy Samson has returned to the seniors this week. He has a lot of potential as a F/R, and should be getting games with Soldo out.
      • Like Like x 1