ORFFA Finals and Zac Dawson Cup - Teams and Banter thread

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by Bandit, Jul 22, 2024.

1. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

Hi everyone,

well the home and away has finished, with @chris88 taking out the minor premiership! Congrats mate.

I'll throw the fixture in for the big dance and the also rans in the next couple of days

• Like Like x 6
  2. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

Good luck @bama ... going to be an intriguing match up.

I'll be without any ruckmen due to injuries and I think you might be getting your ruckman back from injury.

Lets see which of my troops wants to take the centre bounces. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. chris88

Thanks Bandit. Have to give a massive amount of credit to @TheTassieHawk who was looking after things when a number of quality Nuffers players were drafted and recruited.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Bandit

Tasty one this week

Here is my provisional team to take on @snoz

upload_2024-7-25_16-18-2.png

• Like Like x 4
  5. dmandrews

dmandrews Well-Known Member

Cradle Mountain Elimination Finals team

Out: T Nankervis (concussion), B Cox (omitted), J Laverde (omitted), J Cripps (omitted)
    In: E Langdon, N Vlastuin, D Heppell, A Naughton

Def: N Vlastuin, D Heppell, J Battle, J Lever (J Laverde)
    Mid: J Steele, R Laird, S Pendlebury, J Hopper (S Sidebottom)
    Ruc: T English
    Fwd: D Zorko, T McDonald, A Naughton, S Mannagh (D Wilson)
    Int: R Marshall, E Langdon (R Ginbey)

With a change in the finals structure for the 2024 ORFFA season the seventh placed Devils travel to play the sixth placed Waikickamoocow Incorrigbles in the first week of this season's finals. The Cows had nine wins and six losses to finish one game ahead of the Devils. Whilst Waikickamoocow had the betterer win/loss record Cradle Mountain had the advantage in terms of points scored, ranking third in this category to the Cows 10th.

Cradle Mountain are playing their 14th final in club history and have a record of seven wins and six losses. It is the sixth final in a row that the Devils are the away team, however this time they will heading in a different direction, going east to play the Cows in New Zealand. Cradle Mountain have performed well when facing the task of playing on the road in finals to have a positive record with five wins and four losses. In each of Cradle Mountain’s 13 finals the winning side has scored 1300+. The losing side has only scored over 1300+ twice – Venus Bay in the 2021 Grand Final and the Devils in the 2023 preliminary final against Mount Beauty.

The Cows and Devils rank third and equal fourth respectively for premiership points in ORFFA history – Thanks @TheTassieHawk for the table summarising the ORFFA’s history. The two club’s also rank in the league’s top six for all-time top eight finishes. Cradle Mountain have finished in the top eight nine times – ranked equal second in ORFFA history along with Venus Bay and Gundagai, behind Foul Bay Chickens (11). The Cows have eight top eight finishes to rank equal fifth with Iron Knob. 2024 is the sixth season that the Cows and Devils have both made the ORFFA finals however their game this weekend is the first time the two clubs will have a finals encounter. It is great that the Cows and Devils finally get to clash in a final. Congratulations @graeme on your Waikickamoocow Incorrigbles finishing sixth at the end of the ORFFA 2024 home and away season, wishing you all the best for this weekend’s game. The winner of the Cows vs Devils elimination final will progress to play an away game against the team that loses the qualifying final between the second placed Charlies Opening and third placed Gundagai Grasshoppers.

• Like Like x 2
  6. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

The cows are struggling to field a team worthy of finals @dmandrews ; it seems prophetic now that I posed the question. in the review of round 15, who would want to play the devils week one. We certainly did not want the fixture. We present the cattle that were named Thursday night:

D - Nic Newman (84), Mitch Hinge, Brae Campbell, Jeremy McGovern
    M - Josh Dunkley, Bailey Williams, James Jordon, Jaspa Fletcher
    R - ROB
    F - Josh Treacy, ANB, Zac Bailey, Brad Close (Harvey Harrison)
    I - Nat Fyfe, Will Graham (Mitch Owens)

• Like Like x 3
  7. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

Well done @dmandrews ; reckon your side will provide stiff competition in the upcoming games. Best of luck amigo.

• Like Like x 3
  8. chris88

Geez, happy just to get the win over the Uglies (despite a bit of a Will Day masterclass in the last game of the round), but in looking at the scores among the remaining contenders, I can't see the Nuffers progressing much further unless we get some consistency going.

Messers Langford and Warner might need a talking to. Young Samson Ryan's ruck contribution was very necessary in the end.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bandit

Finals for week 2 loaded... there are some tasty ones in there

Hope @Fitzy & @Lenny120 gave each other heaps of sledges, and that you are still living in the same house as @Tracey @Len after you took the choccies!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

We are actually in a cabin in the middle of nowhere outside Temora, I don't think she has seen the restults yet :p

• Like Like x 1
  11. chris88

I may be mistaken but believe that may have been Jen's first finals win as coach of the Lilacs.

And I'm pretty sure it was the first time a team I am coaching has won a final since the first year of the ORFFA in the Darraweit days.

• Like Like x 2
  12. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

@chris88 per the second quote it appears the Nuffers won a final in 2023, before bowing out in the prelim !

• Like Like x 2
  13. chris88

Reckon you might be right!

Man, that was only last year, how could I forget that .... been a bit of a long 12 months I think.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Bandit

Yep, put me to the sword last year

15. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Congrats to @Jen and the Lilacs for putting a disappointing Battlers team out for the year. Good luck for the rest of the finals. I hope you go well.

The Battlers will limp into the Birdsville Hotel and drown their sorrows and say goodbye to season 2024, after which the list management team will begin sharpening the axe.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Bandit

If any of the teams knocked out, or the ones having the week off want a practice match, let me know and I will load it up

17. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

@JC would you be interested in home and away games so patrons of the Birdsville Hotel and The Bulls Hit Tavern can visit each others favourite watering hole and share stories / lies from the 2024 season during the remainder of the finals series? The winning pub holds a to be named cup based on total score from the two games.

• Like Like x 3
  18. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great idea @graeme :thumbsu:

• Like Like x 3
  19. snoz

snoz Moderator

This feels like facing Murderer's Row......Last week up agst the Spelunkers & lose.
    This week the sneaky hard hitting Devils. Brutal.......my poor insects feeling the pain.

• Like Like x 3
  20. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

Ah diddums - you have gone soft up in the Northern Hemisphere. Harden up man. :)

Dawson should be back which makes the 'hoppers stronger.

• Like Like x 4