Dual Position Players

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Rev, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Rev

Rev New Member

Trying to get an idea on what people believe is the best way to use the dual position players?

I've read with interest on this site people talking about "manipulating" dual position players. What exactly are people talking about when they use this term?

I had a couple of DPP's last season, but never figured how to activate this new tool. Any info people can give will be a great help :)

2. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

Say if you have Deledio in your midfield, and Goddard in your back line, you can use the 'swap' function, as you would bringing a sub on and off, and your able to swap those two players. It's the S under the players name, next to C for captain V for Vice captain and T for trade.

3. Rev

Rev New Member

<blockquote>Quote from Ruddy on February 3, 2011, 14:56
    Say if you have Deledio in your midfield, and Goddard in your back line, you can use the 'swap' function, as you would bringing a sub on and off, and your able to swap those two players. It's the S under the players name, next to C for captain V for Vice captain and T for trade.</blockquote>

I understand that much. But why would you want to swap Goddard to the backline and Deledio to the midfield? When people say they will "manipulate" the DPP's, what competitive advantage are they trying to to gain here?

4. Fez

Fez Moderator

Rev - The best way it could be used is to have bench DPP, for example when the bye/injury comes and it leaves u short in the midfield and have plenty of depth in defence you could swap say Heppell from your midfield bench to your defensive bench and bring Goddard to the midfield, understand??

5. suther

suther Member

My query is how many DPP links do you need to have at season start?

Last year I went with DPP rookies (M. Farmer & M. Duncan) linking to DPP premiums for both Def & Fwd, but found that when I came to do an upgrade etc I was limited by the desire NOT to give up the link. This year is a little different given the number of F/M's available, but I feel the question still applies for DEF.

Say your rookie DPP is the best cash cow option you have and a ripper (mid only) rookie comes up. You are then faced with the decision to give up your link (until another rookie DPP becomes available) or make a lesser trade on a mid-rookie that hasnt yet maxed out his earnings.

Throw in the need to cover bye's, this become an even more difficult choice.

Given you try to make the best trade you can, does a 2xDPP link make sense to ensure you maintain the link?

Or do you simply select the best rookies available and plan to establish the DPP throughout the season?

6. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Risk v Return suther, that's the question in the whole game.

If you want to lose the DP link, then go for it, but you risk it if the player gets injured or whatever.

If the return is good enough then go for it.

(From what I could remember last year not many defensive rookies were any chop at the end of the year, meaning keeping Farmer wasn't a bad move.)