Position Focus - Forwards

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

I wrote a wrap on Caff and I think he could break out in a big way this year. The problem is he could easily just play his role in the Magpie Machine.

He gives you loads of tackles each week, is a great contested mark for his size, and in general (few yips aside) is a reliable disposer of the footy.

What is more pertinent is he's always started slowly then got better in all the grades he's played. As a late developer, he missed the selections in the draft, so went through rookie, then VFL bench player, getting to play forward, then slowly into AFL.

In the VFL for example, he rattled off 70 goals in a season so he's no mug in front of goal. If he can translate that confidence and form along with his defensive intensity to the big stage, he could kick a few big bags.

I see Caff averaging in the low 90s this year, with a few massive 150+ matches.

On Gus Monfils...no taker for mine, just at the wrong price zone. At best 95 ppg.

2. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

I've tried to go for a mix between KPFs and mids in my forward line - have five premiums in Roo, Chappy, Franklin, Rioli and Pav. I'm probably going to change Pav though due to the Round 6 byes and bring in either Goodes or ROK.

Have Knights at F6 and then rookies after that.

Reckon its important to have that KPF/mid mix - it adds a bit of consistency to your scoring because of the mids, and also covers you if one of your KPFs has a downer.

3. eagles2011

eagles2011 New Member

I have read on one of the DT blogs that Cyril said himself that he had not done enough endurance work in the preseason to get a gig in the midfield, but there was no source listed. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
    Maybe some hawks fans.

4. BrennyC

BrennyC New Member

Everybody talks about ROK... what about Travis Cloke. Price is about the same, both averaged 91 in 2010, Cloke is 6yrs younger has potential to have a bigger year maybe up the ground some.

I don't think Cloke can be counted out. I took ROK over Cloke because I didn't have the spare 1100 to grab him. I only have $100 left in the kitty.

I'd probably look at Jack Reiwoldt too, to be honest.

5. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Problem with Cloke is he can't kick for goal.
    Fix that and he's a 110 ppg.

Jumping Jack has a lot more going for him.

6. BrennyC

BrennyC New Member

<blockquote>Quote from Lucas on February 10, 2011, 11:25
    Problem with Cloke is he can't kick for goal.
    Fix that and he's a 110 ppg.

Jumping Jack has a lot more going for him.
    </blockquote>

Fair point :)

I'm going to keep an eye on big Trav. See what he does in NAB Cup. If he's pushing up the ground more and taking contested marks, inside 50's and teaming well with Dawes, then I might consider the bloke.

Might keep and eye on him and ROK for the first 7 rounds (seeing pies buy is R7).

Jumping Jack for me is one I'd consider from R6 or so on, considering some of the teams they have to play in the first half dozen rounds.

I think it's clear to say, I have NFI :p

7. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

@Lucas

Thanks for the lowdown on Caff. Have only seen him in a few games over the years but he always impressed as having that "something" near the goals. He will now come into my SC calculations since Daisy is no longer a forward option. Next test will be to see if Mick loves him or not.

8. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

Something that i find interesting when people talk about Collingwood players, is that people expect so many of them to raise their average. If the likes of Pendles, Mcaffer, Beams, Krakouer etc. will be taking more points then they were last year, that means less for the likes of Swan, Shaw, and Cloke etc. Even on the best of days, they still probably only have 1900 odd points available to them. There simply can't be the points rise that people are expecting without the other players taking a hit in points.

9. yumcha

yumcha Member

what do u guys think of Jack Watts and Majak Daw?

As Dees supporter, I have incentive for him to do well. Figured it'll make things more fun if i have him in the team as well.

Majak Daw looks like a mean prospect.

Thoughts?

10. bonesy

bonesy Member

<blockquote>Quote from eagles2011 on February 10, 2011, 10:28
    I have read on one of the DT blogs that Cyril said himself that he had not done enough endurance work in the preseason to get a gig in the midfield, but there was no source listed. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
    Maybe some hawks fans.</blockquote>

From what I've read, the hawks have pretty much spent the last 2 preseasons(this one included) building his tank for a midfield role. maybe he's still 1 more preseason away from a permanent midfield spot, but even still, I have no doubt he can average 100+ playing forward and rotating through the middle like he did 2nd half of last year.

11. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

<blockquote>Quote from bonesy on February 10, 2011, 13:26
    <blockquote>Quote from eagles2011 on February 10, 2011, 10:28
    Maybe some hawks fans.</blockquote>

From what I've read, the hawks have pretty much spent the last 2 preseasons(this one included) building his tank for a midfield role. maybe he's still 1 more preseason away from a permanent midfield spot, but even still, I have no doubt he can average 100+ playing forward and rotating through the middle like he did 2nd half of last year.</blockquote>

From what i can gather, he will basically do the same thing as last year, with a slightly higher amount of time in the midfield. Basically, if he is fit like the second half of last year, he is WAY under priced to what he can score.

12. Morko78

Morko78 New Member

@Ruddy- check out the Herald Sun website re: Cyril. Just what we don't need. Hopefully it won't affect his season with all that has happened with the passing of Maurice as well.

13. Gods_Gift

Gods_Gift New Member

<blockquote>Quote from Morko78 on February 10, 2011, 13:42
    @Ruddy- check out the Herald Sun website re: Cyril. Just what we don't need. Hopefully it won't affect his season with all that has happened with the passing of Maurice as well.</blockquote>

Is that the court case?

14. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

<blockquote>Quote from Gods_Gift on February 10, 2011, 14:17
    <blockquote>Quote from Morko78 on February 10, 2011, 13:42
    @Ruddy- check out the Herald Sun website re: Cyril. Just what we don't need. Hopefully it won't affect his season with all that has happened with the passing of Maurice as well.</blockquote>

Is that the court case?</blockquote>

Yes it is. But i reckon it won't affect Cyril too much.

15. Morko78

Morko78 New Member

Anyone considering Liam Jurrah? The bloke is around 6'4 is agile, takes a serious contested mark and knows where the goals are. Has all the makings to be the next indigenous star ala Buddy. He is priced at that awkward 350K mark though.

16. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Sorry if its been asked but cant be bothered checking back through all the pages.

What are peoples thoughts on Mark Williams? Only &#36;230K and I would assume will play 22 games under Hird. Think i heard somewhere that he's lost some weight and training pretty well?
    I had Chris Knights in that price range, but his lack of playing last night has me worried he may be carrying a injury again...

Ive mentioned it before but people should start to consider Ryan Gamble, even for a bench spot as he will be playing a hell lot this season. (was told from someone at the Season Launch who spoke to Lenny and he mentioned he was going to be vital part of our forward line)

17. Morko78

Morko78 New Member

Yeah, I heard Mark Williams has trimmed down and is pushing hard to be a regular in their best 22 this year. The thing with him is his attitude. He is a smart forward as we saw at Hawthorn, he just needs to put his head down and work. I'm not sure he will be in my side but he's pretty cheap. Gamble is an interesting one though. He was recruited for a reason so as you mentioned he should play regular games- at 180K could be handy coverage.

18. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

Is it just me, or does Williams not really seem to fit in with Essendon's forward line? Their most effective forwards seem to be the small crumbers, rather than the small leading forwards.

19. Morko78

Morko78 New Member

Ruddy- time will only tell I suppose. Essendon went out and recruited him for a reason so they obviously thought he could play a role down there. Problem is that was under Knights. What does Hird plan on doing with him?

20. austin

austin New Member

@Stkildathunder

I'm considering taking Gamble ahead of Knights at the moment, I'm surprised more people aren't looking at him. At &#36;184,900 he's not exactly going to go backwards.