Position Focus - Defenders

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. BennyBopper

BennyBopper New Member

Like to hear some opinions on Tarrant, if anyone has any.

2. Bongwater

Bongwater Guest

IMO Gods, Lids and Gibbs are first three picked. Nothing ground breaking there.

Am serious considering Ken Bruce has gone made for set and forget ao D4.

Any one at Hawkland know where he is going to play, can't remember much defensive work at the D's.

Also news from out west on Callum Wilson, some good games for a reasonable average in 2010 and MPP.

Am I Imagining things with regards these two players.

3. Bongwater

Bongwater Guest

My typing after a few reds is appalling.

Ken Bruce has gone Mad ..... at D4.

Also "any" news from out West on Callum ......

4. spud

spud New Member

Hmm, that match vs the swans didn't do a whole heap to help decide between Coad or Toy. 9 disposals and 2 tackles each, with both preferring to kick more than handball.

Maybe the second game will help separate them a tad.

5. ALLSTAR22

ALLSTAR22 New Member

I spotted a goodun for my Def bench + based on his performances in both games tonite is entitled to get pleny of oppurtunities in the season proper ...a tackling machine. His name : Danny Stanley.
    A DEFINITE BARGAIN LOCK @ 106K
    AND SHOULD BE IN EVERYONES TEAMS !!!!!!

6. FunkSoulBrother

FunkSoulBrother Member

yep.. I think he will be on everyones bench now..
    definate starter on mine.

They dont have too many experienced players with hardened bodies so he should be assured plenty of games. If not all of them.

7. spud

spud New Member

There's no doubting Stanley had a ripper of a second match, with 12 disposals (9 by foot) and a thumping 6 tackles! However this was against a high school footy side, senior blokes aren't going to be quite so squishy and easy to bring to the ground (ie will avoid/break the tackle) and know when to dispose of it.

Coad and Toy seemed ahead of him against the Swans though, which are a better reflection of the teams they'll be playing against this year. But, the flip side is he may have just been shrugging off the nerves in the first game and then found the confidence to explode in the second.

I guess that's the point of multiple rounds - we'll have those questions at least partially answered when the GC play next round, and in a much more suitable format.

Picking 1 or 2 max in each position is going to be really hard...as someone has to miss out!

8. BrockyFreo

BrockyFreo Member

And does anyone have any idea about the quality of campbell Brown? I hear he used to play at hawthorn, but never saw him catch my attention.

He's a mid priced player who at the moment that spot is filled in my back line by my smokey Michael Johnson, but would be interested if anyone else has a better idea and why?

Also to toss up in this idea is Bock, or the fact that if you pick up an experienced GC player, you limit yourself to only one rookie in that position (max 2 players from one team)...

9. FunkSoulBrother

FunkSoulBrother Member

Campbell brown = Essendon bitch slapped.. LOL

Can't beleive you have never heard of him. Son of Mal Brown. He's been around for a fair while!

10. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

Are you serious?

You do live in the West don't you Brocky? Mal (his father) is always very opinionated - and Brown was integral to the Hawk's prem defence. That said, I don't think he's a viable option in SC

11. Steve

Steve Moderator Staff Member

I would not even consider Campbell Brown for SC unless you get points for puffing out your chest a lot.

12. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Correct Steve

I know I will get flamed by Hawks but I always found Brown to be a bit overrated.

Maybe the old quote "his bark was worse than his bite"...I dunno.

I know he may have been important to the Hawk "structures" in 2008, but so were Stuart Dew and Grant Birchall

13. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from Lucas on February 21, 2011, 10:45
    Correct Steve

I know I will get flamed by Hawks but I always found Brown to be a bit overrated.

Maybe the old quote "his bark was worse than his bite"...I dunno.

I know he may have been important to the Hawk "structures" in 2008, but so were Stuart Dew and Grant Birchall</blockquote>
    You are right Lucas, in that he played his role well, as did a lot of other hawks. But he was so much more important than a lot of other players - Dew + Birchall as you mentioned.
    He can play on so many different types of players, and his aggression just sets the tone for his team mates. His game against Freo in the finals last year was one of the best i have seen him play - and it was his last in the brown and gold - It is a shame to see him go. but we got well compensated i suppose.

Brocky - i cant believe you have not heard of him - surely you are kidding?? Did you go to that final at Subiaco last year. I was there. CB was prob Hawthorns best player that day i reckon.

14. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

i wouldnt have him in SC though... especially at GC when there are only so many spots available for their players and there are so many cheapies worth having.

15. crew

crew New Member

Brown = supercoach abyss full stop.

His old man spoke with actions, he squeaks with his mouth.

16. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

<blockquote>Quote from FunkSoulBrother on February 20, 2011, 17:22
    Campbell brown = Essendon bitch slapped.. LOL
    </blockquote>

Campbell Brown premierships since the start of his career: 1
    Essendon: 0
    Haha.

But in all seriousness, C Brown shouldn't be on anyones watch list. While he would be a great player to play with, he doesn't get the possessions or stats required to score well.

17. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

And he's a toothless tiger.

Back to rookie talk, its a real squeeze now for def bench. Its seems its between Duigan, Toy, Coad, Stanley, Lower, Puopolo, and at a stretch Retzlaff assuming you go with the "cookie cutter" defence (which includes Heppell). Jacobs and Faulks seem to have fallen off the wagon.

Can anyone have a stab at separating these guys? Job security and age will be factors for sure.

18. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

This early on? No. However I'd only take one of those GC boys

19. GeneralHodge

GeneralHodge New Member

I've got Duigan but unsure how he will go and if he is good enough to earn a spot in my team. Did he have a good Round 1 NAB cup?

20. crew

crew New Member

Duigan is mature age rookie and the worst kept secrect as a gun. Must have in my book.