Position Focus - Midfielders

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. yumcha

yumcha Member

Is Swan + Hodge + Goddard the new permacaptains for this year?

2. JMac

JMac Member

Just wanted to hear other peoples' thoughts on premium mids. Not counting Swan (already have him in) and Ablett (don't want him [think he'll struggle this year]) who would be the next best mid to have in. I am thinking Judd, Selwood, Bartel or Pendlebury. Thoughts?

3. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

I'm looking at Selwood and Murphy (and currently have them in my team accordingly). Pendlebury and Boyd are in my view the next closest, but I'm not going to start any more than 3 premium mids at this stage.

4. spud

spud New Member

JMAC,

Sorting by last years average and reading down the list on the stats page, gives us

Goddard (D/M)
    Ablett
    Swan
    Judd
    Selwood
    Chapman (F/M)
    Hodge
    Barlow
    Montagne
    Cross

Assuming Goddard would be preferred in the backline and Chapman in the forward, and taking your comment into account (you have Swan and don't want Ablett), that would suggest the next best were:

Judd
    Selwood
    Hodge
    Barlow (keep an eye on how he's going with injury)
    Joey
    Cross

Note that NDS, M.Murphy and Pendles are only 1,2 and 3 ppg average behind Cross last year respectively.

5. yt

yt New Member

who does everyone think is the better option for this year
    boyd, bartel or A swallow?

boyd is the most expensive i can afford at the moment

6. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

<blockquote>Quote from yt on February 22, 2011, 18:04
    who does everyone think is the better option for this year
    boyd, bartel or A swallow?

boyd is the most expensive i can afford at the moment</blockquote>

Bartel presents the most value, given a quiet year last year. Swallow presents a fair bit of value, and could rise 5-10+ this year. Boyd, imo, will keep his average somewhere about the same. Tbh, not a huge fan of Boyd, and also, Bartel just had his tonsils out. I currently have Bartel and Swallow, but whether Bartel is affected too much by tonsils may change that.

7. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

A.Swallow I reckon. Would definantly go him over Bartel as they are pretty much the same price.

Not sure if his name has been mentioned at all but what are peoples thoughts on Brad Sheppard? Has MPP this year and under &#36;300K. Going to be a gun and have a feeling he could increase his output this year.

8. spud

spud New Member

A.Swallow will be a good option if you find you're already missing a number of players missing rounds 4 and 6.

Bartel is a proven gun, and appears to be undervalued by quite a margin. I also don't buy into the 'Ablett leaving will cause him to get tagged' rational either as the majority of teams simply gave up on tagging Ablett and chose to tag Selwood/Bartel anyway.

Boyd - for one reason or another I never find myself with a doggies player in the mids. Perhaps because it can be so hard to split them, or maybe because in years gone by I've filled the midfield with 3 cats and 3 saints. A gun none the less, but sharing the first bye with the Saints is a nuisance as you might already be missing a few premiums.

9. jbennett

jbennett New Member

Priddis anyone? anyone? Bueler? i rekon he's a gun and could really elevate this year.

10. Jason

If Boyd's performance in the NAB cup is anything to go by, his new role as captain is a breath of fresh air for him. He looks like he might just relish the responsibility and rise in his SC output, at least slightly. I won't say significantly, because I think his disposal accuracy lets him down a bit too often. But he is very unlikely to go backwards on 2010 in my opinion.

Bartel has been rumoured to maybe take the floating HF role that GAJ was used in often enough last year. It really depends on what opposition clubs do against this, i.e. whether to forward tag or not, as to what Bartel's SC scores will do in 2011. Certainly potential for an increase, and also unlikely to go backwards on 2010 - the only way is up for mine. Slightly up or significantly up? I'm not currently excited enough to want to start Bartel. But I'm still looking.

A. Swallow is the pick of these three for me, but then I'm still not starting him in my initial team either, as my strategy is about starting with 3 elite MIDs rather than a mix of elite and premium MIDs. I'll be looking to upgrade into premium MIDs, as I don't think there will be too many new elite MIDs in 2011 and I'm hoping to start with all of them.

11. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

@Jason
    I agree Boyd killed it in the NAB cup, yet he scored poorly. Obviously it's just the NAB cup game, but that is my biggest worry with him, even when he has great games, he may not score that well.

12. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Bartel will not miss a real game with tonsils. He played last year with a broken arm. Great value. I like a 3 prem mid gp myself, and a low pricer like Bartel fills it nicely. Not that there aren't a few decent options around that level. Bartel is at times feast or famine; that is the main concern in taking him.

13. Jason

Yeah Ruddy, it is his disposal efficiency that lets him down. In fact our midfield group disposal efficiency last year was well down overall and with hindsight possibly the difference between getting to a prelim and getting into a grand. Boyd's TOG was pretty low on Sunday though, so I'm not going to take too much notice of the actual SC score, more his intent - which was obviously pleasing to see.

14. eagles2011

eagles2011 New Member

Am I crazy for considering JP Kennedy as my M4? Had a great finish to last year, massive frame and plenty of potential this year as a mid. Can he become a premo this year?

15. Jason

Not crazy per se, but it will certainly make for a unique selection. It's a bigger risk than most are prepared to take on. Risk, reward, yada yada yada...

16. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Jason, would you say Boyd is a better DTer than SCer?

17. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

<blockquote>Quote from Ruddy on February 22, 2011, 19:09
    @Jason
    I agree Boyd killed it in the NAB cup, yet he scored poorly. Obviously it's just the NAB cup game, but that is my biggest worry with him, even when he has great games, he may not score that well.</blockquote>

Ruddy I'm a little confused you think he scored poorly. I'm assuming we are going by DT scores as SC are too inflated, and his adjusted total was 95?

Or are you going by SC scores?

18. Jason

I've never dabbled with DT Nick, so I'm not well placed to comment on that particular question unfortunately. Perhaps others might be able?

19. GeneralHodge

GeneralHodge New Member

Kennedy is the exact type of player that could really take the next step this year. However, always a risk guessing who those players will be.

20. FunkSoulBrother

FunkSoulBrother Member

Kennedy certainly looks the goods as far as his body type etc

But hey I said that about Courtney Johns too after I saw him up close at Carrara at a NAB cup game. And we know how well that worked out!!

But seriously, he could be set for a breakout. Looked good the other day and Sydney certainly has that knack of getting the best out of recycled players.