Leftover Cash

Discussion in 'AFL' started by simply_greeny, Feb 24, 2011.

1. simply_greeny

simply_greeny New Member

Hey Guys,

I have a question that has bugged me for the past 5 years and yet again bugs me as I start to finalise my side.

How much leftover Cash do you want/need/would like to have in the bank?

I always aim to have $100K but is this to much or not enough?

Cheers

2. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

My thoughts, 100k in the bank is 100k wasted.

Note that some people like having some spare cash to fling around for trades in R1-3, which is in my view the only reason why you'd decide to have a bit of extra cash.

100k is 20 extra points on the ground that you can find somewhere to upgrade.

I dunno about the rest of the group here about how much cash to keep, but I'd say around 10k is more than sufficient

3. soups

soups New Member

At this stage, I will have one of the following scenarios relating to my final budget.

Option 1: $87,400 leftover
    Option 2: $7,700 leftover
    Option 3: $26,400 leftover

unsure where I will end up

4. HotPiesColdDrinks

HotPiesColdDrinks Member

Hey guys. Been a lurker since half way last season, and joined up now. Great site guys.

This is the question I have been wondering for years as well, and was going to ask this a few days ago, but now it doesn't look like I have to make a thread.

I have been changing my team so much the last week. A couple of times I had over $150,000 left, then over $100,000. Currently I have $43,300 left, and I am reasonably happy with my team, though a few I'm still not sure of.
    In the past I always tried to aim for close to $100,000. I like that security in case I need it early for a decent upgrade, but reading Lucas's post earlier made me rejig my team and not cheap out, and spent like $100k extra on the field.

At the moment, I have $43,300, but I have fluctuated from well over $150,000 to where I am not. Things still may change, haha.

5. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Agree with Lucas, but suggest having 10k left over is more of a natural occurrence for him than any major strategy, especially given the number of changes we will all be making between now and R1.

6. BrockyFreo

BrockyFreo Member

I would rather have money there. 100-200k.

You may say 100k is like another 20points on the field, but that's only if you are SuperLegend and pick the perfect starting team first up. (yes Lucas, i'm dubious even of you)

If not, if you pick a more expensive player who starts slack (ie goodes last year), you still wont get that extra 20 points and then you don't have any extra cash to buy Ablett or Swan etc when you see they come out firing.

The cheaper player you pick may actually score 20points higher than what you paid anyway if you pick right.

So to sum it up; Pick super wisely instead of super expensive. Extra cash is a good thing

7. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

I believe you go with what ever happens to be left over once you are happy with your side. Be it 20K or 200K. I wouldnt go changing your entire structure or planning just because you have a bit more money then expected hanging around. Pick your side that your happy with and then see what you have.

8. NedFlanders

NedFlanders Active Member

A little extra cash to throw in the first couple of rounds at that Barlow or JPod you missed at the outset, I agree with.

Any more than that is a bit of a waste, and suggests you got you structure wrong.

Right now I have $3,000 (this will change multiple times as I switch rookies in and out). Not intending to have any more than $40,000 when the game gets under way, and can well cope with less.

9. FunkSoulBrother

FunkSoulBrother Member

<blockquote>Quote from stkildathunda on February 23, 2011, 21:07
    I believe you go with what ever happens to be left over once you are happy with your side. Be it 20K or 200K. I wouldnt go changing your entire structure or planning just because you have a bit more money then expected hanging around. Pick your side that your happy with and then see what you have.</blockquote>

This is how I roll.

10. Fez

Fez Moderator

23k atm but it was &#36;600 before I decided I wanted Higgins and made a few trades , currently have murphey but will wait and see on Judd who is who I really want. In summary I choose to use all my cap up if I have left over I get a higher premium who will get me more points.

11. eagles2011

eagles2011 New Member

<blockquote>Quote from stkildathunda on February 23, 2011, 21:07
    I believe you go with what ever happens to be left over once you are happy with your side. Be it 20K or 200K. I wouldnt go changing your entire structure or planning just because you have a bit more money then expected hanging around. Pick your side that your happy with and then see what you have.</blockquote>
    Agreed, more often than not any team I make that looks good has less than 30k in the bank and I have never made a team that I liked with more than 100k in the bank.

12. J_in_Japan

J_in_Japan New Member

I think this is where planning for trades really comes into it. Whether you think about a player as a &#36; value or in my case an overall point value, the byes are crucial so as an example, you want Joey who is valued at 115ppg and 558k vs Watson at 107ppg and 524K. If you chooses Watson, you can use the extra 34K on another on-field player to try and bridge the 8ppg gap between himself and Joey whilst not having to consider a bye and no price increase or decrease if it all goes wrong.
    Looking at the draw, getting on Petrie after the Roos 1st bye is optimum if he fits into your plans as he has 17 consecutive games in which increase in value. The same goes for Geelong or Brisbane players after their byes as they won't be troubled by any byes before the cow has mooed.
    I'm with Lucas all the way on this if you think about it logically and use the ticker to your advantage.
    I'm currently sitting on 50K in the bank with 6 - 3 - 2 - 3 keepers (not all premiums but I think will be keepers) leaving me with 50K to improve the team and 24 trades to upgrade 8 onfield and 3 bench players

13. spud

spud New Member

I'm also of the view that, whatever you're left with after you choose the best possible 33 players for your own risk profile and strategy, is what you have.

I don't aim to have a certain amount of coin left over. A bit of left over coin can be nice if a rookie goes down early with an injury as the more cash you have, the greater your choices for a replacement.

Similarly, if a slightly more pricey rookie that you didn't have from the start bursts out of the blocks in the first two rounds while a cheaper one looks like his nab cup performance was a "sucked ya in!" type, then having some coin allows you to grab them (eg. Bennell cuts it up in the NAB but looks like a right dud when Gazza is back in the side for the first match, while Krak slams on two 100 scores to start with) - having 20-30k allows you to do the trade. It won't work like that given the GC have the bye in the first round, but its that idea.

That said, I wouldn't want to be keeping 100k in the bank either, just in case a 91k player starts slowly and I want to make sure I can pick up Krak/Ottens/Swallow.

14. spud

spud New Member

I just want to clear something up regarding the "every dollar not being utilised in the starting team is costing you points" argument.

I certainly agree that if you have 200k left over, you'll more than likely be costing yourself points, regardless of your strategy.

However if you've filled in 32 of 33 players and you're not changing them, you're left with &#36;185k, you have one midfield bench spot left to fill in, and based on your current team make up, desired strategy and risk profile, you're tossing up between Bennell and Harris. If you believe that Harris(~125k) offers everything Bennell(~183k) does, then don't pick Bennell simply because you feel the left over &#36;60k* is costing you points.

*If that left over 60k is a problem, feel free to send it to my team, I give you good interest rate kthnxbye.

15. boydshow

boydshow Guest

There is merit in leaving some cash aside, spending it on a more expensive player ties your hands for the bubble trades pre-round 3. If Krakouer is failing but Knights is firing, you won't be able to make the switch without some money aside.

I'm happy enough to wear that though and pick a player on or below the price of the one I'm removing, so that I can select the best side possible from the start.

16. DC

DC Member

I havent had any cash left over the last two years and both years i was in the top 500 after the first two rounds... hoping this year is no different :)

17. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Yo EssendonDC,

How much (roughly) did you have left at the end of the season and how was the ranking going then?

18. adeelite

adeelite New Member

I am the same as Fez. If I have money left I go back and get better players.
    If you have picked enough of the good rookies money won't be an issue anyway and this site will tell you who they are before the season starts.
    I usually end up with no more than 10k left over.

It's not your money so spend it all before they start taxing us for this as well.

19. willow

willow New Member

Last year, I was left with about &#36;200k after picking heaps of rookies with my starting team.

As opposed to usually having very little money left for the start of season, for the first time this worked out a treat all year, never falling short of money once when upgrading to premiums throughout the year.

So maybe sometimes it's a good thing to have money in reserve starting out.

20. Fez

Fez Moderator

I see Merit in leaving cash in the Bennell Harris situation, because i believe Harris will score more, but if it's a premium, you spend the money higher to get the best players so that saves u an upgrade or sideways trade later in the season.

However, alot of people just play for the League success, so it may be ok(not sure normally try and score the most points I can). To get to the finals and have a premium team even if you finish 8th, they money you saved at the start could benefit in the long run.