Position Focus - Forwards

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Ugottabjokin

Ugottabjokin New Member

Seen some conjecture on the F5 position.

I currently have K Tippett from Adel. The reasoning being he is MPP with the ruck and i have Hale on the bench there thus gives me the extra ruck back up. I know he is inconsistant but thought the extra security in ruck may be worth the risk.

Currently have:

Roo, Rioli, Goodes, Sylvia, Tippett, Knights, Krak,
    Bench ( Mzungu, Darling, Callinan )

2. spud

spud New Member

Wow, nice read, Bonesy!

While ROK is most likely starting undervalued given his drop in scores last year (which we now have a good explanation for!), the fact he had that kind of surgery makes me wonder if he'll be an upgrade target as opposed to a starter?

Truth be told, I've been considering Goodes but not ROK, but if Longmire persists with playing Goodes up forward then he's out of the equation, and ROK might just get a look in when he's fit.

3. WindyHillWizard

WindyHillWizard New Member

Looks like a very limited pre-season from ROK. Definitely looks like an upgrade target for mine.

So many options around the same price point, so I'll be shopping elsewhere.

Watch him turn on 150 point game tonight.....

4. spud

spud New Member

Well well,

Krak-attack (no pun intended) scored a delicious 129 from tonights game, and all off only 15 disposals.

5 tackles, a goal, and an 87% efficiency helped immensely. Could he be back on peoples radar again now?
    Or will Didak take points off him when he comes back in?

5. spud

spud New Member

Goodes scored 103 from 14 disposals with a 79% efficiency rating, along with 3 goals and 1 tackle. But unfortunately he was used in supercoachers much feared half forward role.

Okeefe scored a sorry 46 off only 10 disposals at 70%, and that score included 2 goals!

The blonde haired twit (aka Daisy) also scored 103 from 21 disposals, but his effiency of 62% let him down. Thankfully though, of those 21 disposals, 16 were kicks which is SC gold. He also finished with a goal and a few tackles.

6. Tylo

Tylo Moderator

Cant consider starting ROK after watching tonight, he really wasnt moving well at all.

On a non-SC note, I reckon young Rohan is gonna be a gun. Reminds me of a young Goddard in body shape and how he moves.

7. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

Is anyone considering Leon Davis? I know he was shocking last year, but he was great off half back last night. He is forward only this year, and is 337k, but he has previously shown he can play very well.

8. Matty_C

Matty_C New Member

I'm flirting wth the idea Ruddy, ever since Lucas pointed out that he was being trialed in the creative half back role I've been trying to track his progress. Will he grow into the role? He was good last night but wasn't rewarded with a high score, but he was almost always kicking the ball and Collingwood were looking to him as well.

With the forwardline being as much of a war zone as it is it could be a good risk to take. Maybe I could start with him and if he tanks and Kraks burns I could downgrade him to the whore...anyone else have thoughts?

9. BJ

BJ New Member

Shows how woeful the forwards are this year, when people are considering Davis. The only prems you can consider now if you've culled Goodes and ROK are Chap, Roo and most will only want one of Rioli Buddy. I's impossible to find an F4 let alone a 5 and 6. Davis is a no for me unless I see further improvement. Yes he kicks and the Pies were looking to him, but he fumbled under pressure and turned it over a few times. This should ring alarm bells because in the new game half back is where everyone's trying to lock it in and pour on the pressure. Even disposal aces like Malceski can look pretty ordinary in that heat. I can't see Davis flourishing in an environment where the pressure is all on him rather than the other way round like it was when he was at half forward. Let's watch and see the next couple of NAB games.

10. Julz88

Julz88 New Member

Wow this whole thread is a great read and extreemly helpful!! changed my forward line about 10 times while reading but still can't figure out if i'm happy or not.

currently have chappy, riewoldt, pav, rioli, petrie, day, smith (bench) matera, darling and callinan (and have mzungu in mids)

Aim for a didak trade up later on
    Had tippet instead of petrie, but had to drop down becasue needed the cash. Had jurrah in there and also krakour and watts at one point too but went for the upgrade to rioli and down grade to another rookie.

also note that going for the league win not overall so not too worried about the big bye rounds. Also why id prefer tippet to petrie (kangas have bye in sc finals) which is also not a favourable point for chappy.

11. BJ

BJ New Member

Pvav more of an upgrade target for me after round 6. Not sure about Petrie anymore either, with his suspension, bye and tough start. Otherwise, looks pretty good.

12. Lukeys42

Lukeys42 New Member

Hi, first time post. I'm tossing up over two options in my foward line.

Option 1: Franklin and A.Krakouer + Boyd M2

Option 2: Higgins and Dangerfield + Bartel M2

Which option do you think will get more points?

13. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Option 1 for me.
    Buddy starred in Challenge match.
    Krak looked good last night.
    Boyd is a star.

Higgins on the cusp, if he's fit he fires.
    Danger is a no from me, too many questions.
    Bartel, underpriced, but has had 2 weeks off due to tonsils.

14. dabombers

dabombers Active Member

I've been stuffing around with how to get around this FWD structure problem, and I think I'm putting my neck on the chopping block here, but I'm going with only 2 keepers(or Prems) in Franklin and Stevie J. and have filled the rest on positions F3 to F7 With Mid Priced guys (wont call them improvers but hoping) like Danger to Krakouer V2011....Lets me start with a very strong Ruck combo and gives me 5 very good Mid starters.

My thinking is if 2 of these guys step up to keeper status then I'm a winner. If not because they are Undervalued Mid-Pricers I wont lose too much in a trade up to a proven Keeper.(100-200k already there)
    Will mean that I have to be ruthless and cut and run with any signs of injury or poor form.
    But I just cant see any value at all in any of Yesterdays Hero's in the FWD line.

15. Lukeys42

Lukeys42 New Member

Thanks for the reply Nick.

16. stowie

stowie Moderator

Similar thoughts to dabombers, loaded up on the big 4 and then a couple of low midpricers (Knights, Krak2011) and the rest being rookies. Dumped Callinan in the mids so will hopefully survive R6.

17. FunkSoulBrother

FunkSoulBrother Member

I agree. Its very difficult finding the fwd line combo to go with. Slim Pickings and also the R6 issues.

The problem for me in stacking mids and filling Fwd with lower mids etc and rooks is that I really think you have to have A.Swallow and D.Harris on feild in MID.

Therefore, I cant see stacking the MID as an option.

Take one more prem in DEF but thats about it. Leaving too many cows out other wise.

18. bfish

bfish New Member

Reports in Adelaide of Knights having problem with groin(?) in game today.

19. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

What is the mail on T. Lynch? Looked alright in the two saints games that I have seen so far this pre-season. But is he any chance of actually playing in the real season?

20. yt

yt New Member

doubt he will get a lot of game time with gamble there as well now