Sandilands overpriced

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Krispy_K, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Krispy_K

Krispy_K New Member

Just wondering what everyones thoughts were picking Sandilands as R1? Any other suggestions?

2. GeneralHodge

GeneralHodge New Member

You should be asking this question in the rucks thread.

3. boydshow

boydshow Guest

Kepler Bradley and Jonathon Griffin could take time on the ball away from him, so I don't see him increasing his score. Should still be the clear #1 SC ruck though, so certainly someone you need in your team.

4. Krispy_K

Krispy_K New Member

No worries TS Police... (GeneralHodage)

Thanks griff.. I definitely think hes is worth it

5. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

The General making his presence felt!!

I reckon Sandi is a must have from the start. I think he will be clearly the #1 ruck again this season.

6. Fez

Fez Moderator

Dont have him, let's see if that works out for me have ryder so he will need to be upgraded later anyway time will tell

7. Moonwalker

Moonwalker New Member

I believe he is, so it's Cox-Jolly for me. I'd rather have the extra 126k plus with an early Sandilands upgrade, I have less chance of my R2 back-firing as I can pick between the two of them.

8. FunkSoulBrother

FunkSoulBrother Member

I'm leaning towards the same Moonwalker.

I think Sandi will drop a bit in price too.

Looking for an upgrade after R6

9. Stew

Stew New Member

If you don't start with Sandi, .. you'll at least want to be bringing him in. So the question to ask is, what is the value of that one trade actually worth.

When there is a standout premium in his class.... ie. Goddard in the backs, Swan in the mids, .... you must get them from the start imo. Unless there are mitigating circumstances such as Ablett's move to the GC.

10. BJ

BJ New Member

Get him. Set. Forget.
    Not getting him from the start is bad enough, but if you're thinking as Stew suggests of getting him later, that's even more crazy. Either you're trading sideways from a Premium that's not quite as good, or you're trying to make a rookie moo just when Lurch is in a lull. Both are so much harder to do in the ruck position because of the small pool.

If you think someone else will score more, then leave him out (talk to you after round 5 when he's had a few 140s!). No other reason.

11. FunkSoulBrother

FunkSoulBrother Member

I dont think it's as straight forward as that BJ.

By leaving Sandi out you can substantially upgrade another positon or two to prem. So the points drop in itself is not the issue for me.

In a normal season I agree set and forget (and Sandi was one of the first players I wanted to consider) but this year with the byes and the opportunity to upgrade to Sandi after his first bye, I am comfortable with using a trade for that.

Dont forget that Sandi shares the R6 bye with many of your forwards and prob some of most midfields too. So it may well be more effective not to have him in considering how many players will need coverage for R6 as it is.

I'm not committed to leaving him out just yet but there is a definate argument to do so this year.

12. Fez

Fez Moderator

Cox might only be playing the suns now but his preseason form is great so far and we know he can score well, so reckon he will ave close sandi but that's my opinion

13. FunkSoulBrother

FunkSoulBrother Member

Yeah, im thinking along the same line. And if that will be the case then obviously he is much better value than Sandi.

14. BJ

BJ New Member

Taking Cox at the discount if you think he can match Sandi - no argument.

On your first post FSB, you make a reasonable case. Unless you are doing the R/F thing (I'm not now that I've gone off Petrie then how round six is affecting your other lines shouldn't have too much bearing on what is going on in the ruck line. You need to be able to cover Sandi with a playing ruck - that;s the bottom line, same as any other ruck on the bye week.

The extra trading room does make it feasible to use one in the rucks this year for some risk taking on the ruck line though, you are right. For me, I reckon I'll need them elsewhere.

15. Krispy_K

Krispy_K New Member

Thanks for everyones help! I was thinking that he won't be getting any higher, so the only way for him left is down... but then again.. by getting him from the start, thats one trade I don't have to use...

Last year I held off from getting Gazza from the start, and that paid off... Fingers crossed big sandi doest drop an odd $100k ey...

16. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Please explain how not having Ablett last year "paid off"? Ablett scored in the stratosphere in the first half of the year and was comparatively lower only in the second half of 2010.

17. PumpyChowdown

PumpyChowdown New Member

I thinks Sandi is slightly overpriced. With Zac Clarke, Kepler and Jonathan Griffin I think Sandi will be rested a lot more to ensure he makes it through the season in one piece. I can see his average hovering between 100 - 110ppg.

Cox on the other hand looks as fit as he has in years and I feel that his scoring - even with NicNat in the team - will increase significantly this year, possibly back up to about 110ppg.

Jolly looked absolutely fantastic in the second half of last year and I feel that he too can significantly increase his average to about 100ppg

With the extra ~$125k saved I can now upgrade to another keeper elsewhere on the field.

18. FunkSoulBrother

FunkSoulBrother Member

<blockquote>Quote from BJ on February 27, 2011, 20:16
    You need to be able to cover Sandi with a playing ruck - that;s the bottom line, same as any other ruck on the bye week.

</blockquote>

I was thinking more about total points loss that week using bench players over premiums. rather than just the ability to cover.

19. spud

spud New Member

The issue with trying to evaluate Coxs' performance so far is that he hasn't really had any competition. In the knockout stage, he came up against Renouf for what must have been 5 minutes before playing the rest against Grimely who will most likely spend the year in the box hill hawks seconds (hawks got a whopping 3 hitouts, 1 from tuck!) and he was rested for the follow up against Freo so we didn't get to see him against Sandilands.

Similarly tonight, we saw him against a GC outfit with no recognizable ruckman so obviously he dominated in the hitouts department, but also when resting up forward as GC were playing the kids rather than their senior backmen.

With the Eagles to face the Pies, who have been fielding relatively strong sides, hopefully we'll get a chance to see how he goes when up against a seasoned ruckman in Jolly, and whether he has any impact up forward when faced with a senior backline.

20. aj

aj Member

@Spud: that's if Jolly gets a game. They've obviously rested him in the opening weeks, so I'm not sure that they'll introduce him to the season with a trip to Perth and back. Having said that, he's going to want to have a couple of decent hitouts before round 1, you'd think