Position Focus - Defenders

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. jathkel

jathkel New Member

Duigan vs Toy vs Coad is what I am currently considering. Already have some others. Need to drop one of them. Other option is to drop Hibberd and trade into D/M later on. He may get more of a shut down roll rather than be a running defender. This weeks games may clarify.

2. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Yeah I think look more at the games to come, but it is starting to bring an interesting set of options or conundrums to SC managers.

Looks like value in Def/Mid rookies
    Premium ruck now seems the go
    Forward rookies there is value but not as much, therefore temptation is to load up

I'm hoping to squeeze more than my 15.5 premiums into the starting lineup. I'm honestly struggling unless I do something like downgrade Otten. I've already given Droopy his marching orders.

So on defences, sure you can go cookie cutter, but that might not be risky enough. I'd say Otten D6 is about right.

3. FunkSoulBrother

FunkSoulBrother Member

hey Lucas, Not sure if you saw my comment on one of the home page articles but I am wondering with your 15 or 15.5 premiums. How are you defining a premium

Is it by price eg 450K plus or based on players that you believe will be keepers regardless of the price?

4. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

FSB, I think the clarification (from the Lucas' comment on the article blog) is 15 keepers. I.e. R2 may well be seen as a keeper, whilst not being 450k in value. D5 and F5 similarly could be seen by people as keepers from the start, even if they won't strictly ever get to a 100ppg average.

Please correct me if I have this wrong Lucas.

5. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Robbie Tarrant is now in the mix also. Especially with Grima injured. Too many cheap defenders to choose from! The complete opposite in the fwd line.

6. spud

spud New Member

Defenders of interest:

Grimes - 117(SC)
    Heppell - 65(SC)
    Hibberd - 52(SC)

Heppell: 15 touches 3 tackles 2 goals - looked impressive. Handballed twice as much as he kicked, however.

Hibberd: Only the 9 touches but all of them kicks and at 89% effiency which bodes well for him when he starts to improve his disposal count. Also had 2 tackles.

Grimes very impressive for the Dees with 25 disposals and 3 tackles.

Great to see the Supercoach scores back to reasonable figures too, a much better reflection of score distribution.

7. Heater

Heater New Member

Grimes is right back into contention now. Is having Broughton & Grimes in my side a tad too risky considering they do miss games?

8. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

No I don't think Broughton and Grimes is too risky at all.

Jason is largely correct on keepers, though F5 might be everyone's risk area in relation to picking a midrange.

When you think you have players like Morton, Dangerfield, Higgins etc in that area, it's a bit like previous years in defence where you could possibly squeeze a bit more out of here in the trust/hope that you would strike gold

9. eagles2011

eagles2011 New Member

I'm contemplating dumping Broughton and including Grimes. Can't seem to get them both is without upsetting the team balance I want in other areas.

10. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Broughton and Grimes together doesn't pose that much of an injury risk, Broughton is not too bad.

Cookie cutter still looking the goods going on NAB.

11. Julz88

Julz88 New Member

I currently have the cookie cutter Minus broughton (goddard, gibbs, delidio, Grimes, Otten, Heppell - Puopolo, toy & Duigan and Hibberd on my mids bench).
    I just cant afford broughton (hopefully can upgrade soon) so looking for a D5, but just cant decide. And so much discussion on here re the cookie cutter option and little on the mid pricers expected to go up.

I currently have brad sheppard but not so sure about this.

Any advice?

- going for the league win therefor no issues with abundance of freo, melbs, syd, adel players :)

12. andy9

andy9 New Member

hey guys!
    Im tossing up between enright and broughton for D4, with grimes D5 cant seem to seperate the two as i have sandi/mzungu and bartel/chappy what are your thoughts?

13. spud

spud New Member

Hey Andy,

You're in luck! We've got a specific thread dedicated to that exact question as it's been bugging a lot of us :) Feel free to have a read through it and contribute your own views so hopefully we can all weigh up the pros and cons of each player and make the right choice.

Broughton vs Enright
    http://tooserious.net/forum?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=113.0

14. andy9

andy9 New Member

Thanks spud!!

15. Tylo

Tylo Moderator

Julz, the early talk for a midprice defender was Adcock - high potential but injury risk. I'm giving some thought to Hurn and maybe even Gibson if he shows something in preseason. Your right there hasnt been much talk in this price range compared to forward options.

16. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

Having a dilemma.

Gilbee v Newman v Shaw?

Gilbee had a good season, improved heaps on his SC score - will this season be more of the same or are the doggies on the decline?

Newman...the only two things that are stopping me from locking him in is 1) Lids and 2) Richmond

Shaw - the best of the Collywobbles down the back, if they have another good season he should be up there, right?

Oh and speaking of Shaw, does anyone know what Rhyce's role will be this year for Sydney? I got burnt last year picking him when he had switched from playing time in the mid to mainly defence. IS there a chance for him to go back there?

17. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Personally I think Gilbee is too old, and has less scoring potential than he did.

Shaw we know can rack them up if he's playing loose down back, but a fwd tag can see these scores plummet. Was playing some time up fwd last week.

Newman is a no for me as well. Don't see him scoring that highly.

I would try Duffield or Grimes at a similar price bracket, or if you have to go one I would go Shaw personally.

18. banz

banz New Member

Shaw is priced fairly well I reckon, and with no bye till round 7 can ease the pain created during the early rounds(4,5,6). Problem I see, the woods have 3 or 4 that can play loose back there, they will take turns.

Newman, much the same, late bye, and an average of 90ish. Unsure with Newman, with possibly Connors and Lids back there as well.

Not a fan of Gilbee.

I don't think there will be a huge difference at the end of the year, with maybe a 5 point spread between them. The key could be picking keepers in defence who miss the least games.

Chaplin from Port anyone?

19. screwlooose

screwlooose New Member

I had Broughton last year, same last name, so no skill used, consistant all year. Goddard, Broughton, Enright for me. I included Gilbert, but i rekon after the GF, he will play more forward this year, so may score mor points. Menzel, Hempel and Toy to round it out.
    Not sure why people are talking about players, "barring injury", isn't that the same for everyone?

20. Scupper

Scupper New Member

I would be intrested in opinion on either Easton Wood or Jared Petrenko, I currently have Petrenko but Wood could have a breakout year.