Position Focus - Midfielders

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. HeavyMen

HeavyMen Well-Known Member

Thanks Spud, yeah wanting to use the rookies esp Mzunga, GC Harris & Swallow + say Buckley & Heppell to put in the ptemiums later. Thinking could have at least one Barlow in that lot maybe Swallow & Mzunga or Heppell. Got too attached last year & held some rookies when should have put in Guns. Being a 1st timer also (obviously) ran out of trades. Really enjoying the ideas & stratergies being discussed. Hoping to have a "colder" heart this year!!

2. spud

spud New Member

More than welcome buddy.

You and me both with needing to be more cruel and cull players when the time is right. It's easy to get attached to the rookies, especially when they're performing adamantly.

What I struggle with, and it's a weakness, is that ideally you sell out a rookie when it's peaked and trade it to a fallen premium, but it's so difficult to bring in a premium when it has fallen (unless of course it was due to a once-off injury riddled game, but usually it's because they're under performing). But i guess you just have to back them to come good while acknowledging that the rookie will eventually run out of legs as the season drags on.

I keep holding onto shares way too long as well, but that's just stubbornness :D

3. NedFlanders

NedFlanders Active Member

I was tossing this up before last night, and now I feel its a real consideration.

In terms of value (points per $) would you go with Thomas over Jack?

4. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Houli amongst Richmonds best last night. Promising signs for the season ahead i reckon. Was just looking through the thread and someone mentioned Chris Masten in passing comment, hows his preseason been going? Is he worth considering at his cheap price? Would probably rather spend the $60K extra to get him over Gaff for the added job security..

5. suther

suther Member

Masten - i hear where you're coming from, but still a definite NO from me.

In my mind, he finds it but he butchers it.
    I recommend reading over his efficiency & clanger history VERY closely.

That said, I have read news that a groin contributed to this and that he's overcome it, but I am still reluctant.

6. Any ides why Stewart Crameri costs $256,300 with 3 games at an average of 52.7, and Jordan Gysberts costs $228,200 with 3 games at an average of 67?

7. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

@ suther

Yea i might need to look at him bit more, but ive always assumed his injurys were partly to blame with his performances. Might see how he goes tonight.. If he's even playing that is.. haha

8. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

@BlueBeliever
    Guessing here, but it could be that Gysberts got an injury discount to his start price while Crameri did not? I have no idea if either of these guys was injured last year though, or just had poor form.

9. spud

spud New Member

@Blue,

Jason seems on the money there.

FOr Gysberts, an average of 67 this year corresponds to a value of ~$326,000. His listed price of $228,200 is exactly 70% of that, or another way, he received a 30% discount on his starting price.

Crameri on the other hand, has not received any discount on his starting price and is priced according to last years average.

While both players played only 3 games, Gysberts will have received a discount due to injury* preventing him from playing games while Crameri was most likely simply not in the starting 22.

*Back injury, missed 9 weeks (rounds 14-22) according to his profile page on this site

10. PumpyChowdown

PumpyChowdown New Member

I'm finding M9 the hardest spot in my team to fill. With having to fill up the FWD's and BACK's with MPP's, as well as the mids (to a certain extent) i'm really struggling to identify that last mid rookie who'll play Round 1 and eat grass and moo.

Currently have Little Libba in there, but I'm definitely not sold. Same with Wallis. Also considering Ed Curnow. There are lots of GC kids to chuck in there, but with Harris and Swallow already in, I don't want to load up with too many GC kids.

Anyone else struggling here?

11. suther

suther Member

@ thunda

I feel a little vindicated today after torching Masten the other day. 4 clangers and a score of 53 from 18 disposals.

Efficiency was good (78%) but all ineffective were basically clangers.

More pain than value I fear.

12. @Jason and Spud

Makes sense, I do think the injury discount is interesting though. Also makes one time injured players a slightly better prospect. Cheers for the replies

13. GeneralHodge

GeneralHodge New Member

@pumpy. My guess is no one will really know who there M9 is until the teams for round 1 are announced.

14. chewy

chewy New Member

does anyone know what is happening with hodge and chappy haven,t seen them yet in the pre-season. heard they may have injuries(achilles and quad/hammy respectively)cheers.

15. ALLSTAR22

ALLSTAR22 New Member

One more spot up for grabs in my DT

J Kennedy (Swans) 306,2 or L Shuey 280,3

Who is going to provide a better season avge ???

16. spud

spud New Member

Any question involving Shuey needs to have the question "who will play more games?" taken into account.

Shuey might score a 130 one week, but he's every chance to miss the remaining 21 matches given his fragile body.

I'd be going Kennedy.

17. ALLSTAR22

ALLSTAR22 New Member

Thanks for that Spud.

Good Luck for the DT season.

18. ALLSTAR22

ALLSTAR22 New Member

My Mids are locked for Round 1

Swan, Boyd, Montagna, Kennedy, Polec, Mzungu
    (Swallow, Gaff, Hibberd)

19. spud

spud New Member

And to you too A.Star!
    Truth me told, I failed to realise you were asking with respect to DT rather than SC, but I'd imagine it doesn't change anything as my reasoning was Shuey was clearly built with home brand glue.

Nice looking mids there, mate. Looks as though you'll have no trouble covering Boyd and Monty in round 4 either

20. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Question: Is Josh Kennedy the new Jack?

Many thought Jack would help fill the void left by Kirk's absence, and his scoring at the end of last year indicated this.

But the NAB suggests otherwise. Are either worth the risk?