Position Focus - Forwards

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Dylbags

Dylbags New Member

What do people think of this as a forward line
    Chappy, Roo, Buddy, Green, Dangerfield, Petrie, Mzungu with Matera, Richardson and Callinan on the bench

2. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Green-Dangerfield-Petrie

Not looking flash through these slots. The other names look OK.

3. FixEmUp

FixEmUp New Member

I have a forward line of N.Roo, Buddy, McGlynn, Jurrah, Higgins, Duncan, Krak with Callinan, Mzungu and I.Smith on my bench.

Thoughts?

4. spud

spud New Member

Might want at least one of those fwd/mid players in the midfield. You have 3 (fwd/mid) dpp's on your forward bench, as well as Krak, McGlynn, Higgins and Duncan. If you don't have any in the midfield to switch them with, you're not going to get the benefit that DPP offers.

First thing that jumps out to me is, assuming an overall focus, in Round6 you're currently copping a donut unless you have other fwd/mid players in the midfield (Buddy+Duncan with only Callinan to bring on)

5. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Dylbags, Green is not a bad selection at all.

He's in my team at the moment and one bad match isn't going to make me turn.

Still, if he doesn't turn something on in the NAB Challenge matches, I'd be disappointed. He really needs to play a half up forward and a half on ball, so it's more a structure decision as to whether he gets in my end team.

Krakouer looks to have the "Davis" role at Collingwood, with an occasional midfield run. That said, if you bring in Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Blair, Didak there may not be room for him.

Davis? Jury is still out. He is probably too slight to play defence long-term but he appears really willing to give it a go, to learn the structures and be part of that section of the team. Given the forwards are all a bit aloof at Collingwood, and the defence is so tight, if he ends up making the transition, he will really benefit from the teamwork that fuels players like Maxwell/O'Brien/Reid.

I can see him regularly in the 80s but not enough to risk him at the moment against a Higgins type

"On a non-SC note, I reckon young Rohan is gonna be a gun. Reminds me of a young Goddard in body shape and how he moves."

That's very relevant to SC. Just not this year :D
    Mind you across half back I liked the boy. I can't see him staying there when Kennelly comes back. If only the Swans could generate players other than HBF.

6. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Prestia I thought played well last night. Has put his hand back up for that F7 spot, currently occupied by the Krakwhore.

7. stowie

stowie Moderator

Prestia or Matera... or both?

I have Prestia but not sure if I'm being blinded by MPP.

8. FixEmUp

FixEmUp New Member

<blockquote>Quote from spud on February 27, 2011, 13:39
    Might want at least one of those fwd/mid players in the midfield. You have 3 (fwd/mid) dpp's on your forward bench, as well as Krak, McGlynn, Higgins and Duncan. If you don't have any in the midfield to switch them with, you're not going to get the benefit that DPP offers.

First thing that jumps out to me is, assuming an overall focus, in Round6 you're currently copping a donut unless you have other fwd/mid players in the midfield (Buddy+Duncan with only Callinan to bring on)</blockquote>

Thanks for the advice.

Since my initial post I have changed things around and my midfield and forwards look like this,...

Monty, Pendles, Deledio, J.Kennedy, Polec and Atley with Harris, E.Curnow and Callinan on the bench.

Buddy, Riewoldt, Pav, McGlynn, Higgins, Jurrah and Duncan with C.Richardson, Tendai and I.Smith on my bench.

My thought process at the moment is that I should cut one or two MPP from my forward line and put one more in to my midfield or just find another one for my midfield to compliment my few that I already have in my forward line

9. demonspud

demonspud Member

Great forums, these are very helpful:

Chappy, Roo, Green, Higgins, Krak, Richardson C., Darling, Prestia, Matera B., Markovic. (Calli&Mzungu mid)

Hoping my mid, rooks fire early for upgrades, just need to make sure that my bench is covered for rnd1, as I'm carrying GCs on most my benches for cash cows or perms, and on the thought that the good GCs will be playing 80&#37; of the time.

Dropped Rioli for Green, was also thinking Harvey(too old?), Pav(playing mid most likely), as Rioli has been lining up in the back, though will watch if other falter.

Will trade in later some pies and Buddy at later stage after byes. Will need to keep a good eye on other 100+s.

Certainly not locked in yet as have to see who plays Rnd1.

10. soups

soups New Member

is anyone concerned we havent seen Didak during the NAB cup?

11. andy9

andy9 New Member

has anyone got any insight to whether schneider of hawthorn will play this year? watched him play on the w/e and he looked pretty good, backing up his nab cup games and looking at last years years stats averaged 29 possies a game in tac cup. any hawks supporters have any info on the kid?

12. BJ

BJ New Member

Soups,
    I am... but not from an SC perspective.
    At his premium price, you'd want to be sure Didak is going to hit the park all guns blazing. Given his injury, subsequent surgery and limited preseason, he almost certainly won't.
    Not a bad thing, as it makes him an ideal upgrade target I should think as a slow start will reduce his price and he'll be cherry ripe to be picked up at a discount after at least the first Collingwood bye. Can't afford to have all the top forwards starting strongly or our cows will die of old age!

13. soups

soups New Member

I guess then you look at other options.

Franklin (not really an option if you have Rioli)
    Harvey (could be omitted due to age)
    Pavlich (issues with geelong/hawthorn forwards)
    Green (not convinced)
    Sylvia (not convinced)

14. kalikoda

kalikoda New Member

Sylvia should be up on performance from last year when he suffered broken jaw and leg injuries. Injury free and improving team. Still only 24yo i think. Think Saint Nick is the only true KPF worth picking up this year. The rest will be left behind the forward press.

15. BJ

BJ New Member

So we stick premiums in the back line and rookie up in the forwards and see who emerges from the pack. Slim pickings, njury concerns and the only decent premiums being from teams in the round 6 trinity coalesce into the perfect FWD storm!

16. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

Thinking of starting more than 1 rookie (or Gamble) on the field. Is there anyone else thinking of having 2,3,4 rookies playing down there and loading up on other positions?

17. Bongwater

Bongwater Guest

Fwds is starting to look like complete carnage.

Roo - Yes - woohoo I have one SC Fwd.
    Jackeroo - Some injury concerns.
    Didak - Same as Jackeroo.
    Franklin - All SC coaches predicting possible slow start.
    Harvey - Is he too old ?
    Goodes - Playing forward so might not score an SC point all season.
    R.O.K. - apparently close to death.
    Pavlich - Who knows what could happen at the dockers. Given they have spent all preseason learning the new club song.
    Pods - Broken finger so no good to start season with.
    Cyril - Could be good - maybe if we all pray for a Midfield role he might slot in.
    Essendon's Fwd line - All on holidays in Round 24.
    Gia'a - surely he can't really be considered a FWD premium.
    J Brown - Will Brisbane get an inside 50 before round 5 ?
    Green - No-one will have the stones to pick a Demon as a keeper ?
    Stevie J - Not even the new coach knows where to play him.
    That leaves who knows from Adelaide, West Coast and Carlton as far as I can work out.

Looks like Neon might get a spot after all.

Can't wait for R.M.T. posts in a few weeks. Everyone will wet themselves when they see my FWD's.

18. Tigerman

Tigerman New Member

Definitely starting more than one rookie at fwd, more like three, given the paucity of options for F5-F7 at the moment. Krak and Gamble just aren't going to feature in my finals team so I don't see the value in having them there. There are better and cheaper options likely to get games and moo their way into Didak, Goodes and whoever else comes into contention after we have seen a few rounds.

On a different note, I'm aiming for a league win, not the &#36;50K, so I am going to start with the trio of Chappy, Buddy and Delicious.

19. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Franklin - All SC coaches predicting possible slow start.

Hmmm Adelaide away maybe...but is it he vs Davis or Rutten - too strong or too quick?

Then...
    Melbourne MCG - if Frawley not back he will eat them up
    Richmond MCG chomp chomp chomp
    WCE in Launceston chomp chomp chomp
    Geelong MCG - tends to do OK against the Cats

Can't see him averaging &#60;100 in these 5

I can still see Chappy/Buddy/Delicious being a good combo even if you go for overall. You just need to put Mzungu into your midfield rookie mix (he is scoring like a midfielder so why not) and ensure you have coverage up forward for that week, even if it's 50s each.

It will test your depth but not destroy it.

20. Rickster

Rickster New Member

RE: Neon Leon
    I have never EVER considered having him in my team, even two years back when he had a great season. I have never EVER selected a player in the &#36;300k zone. So those two negatives equals a positive. At &#36;337k Leon is a must in your team if he plays that half back role. Has great kicking skills, along with didak the best kicks in the team and can lay a tackle. I can't believe that he is getting a guernsey in my team!