Position Focus - Rucks

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Buzzboys

Buzzboys Member

@Nick: Petrie would be a good downgrade target but with Sandi/Jolly-Cox I need support between rounds 5 and 7 and I would prefer not to burn a trade to get him.

2. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

The thing about Tippett is that Adelaide had a shocking year last year. Go back to 2009 when the supply was better, and Walker wasn't as good, and Tippett was getting the ball a heap. Given their recent departures (Mcleod, Edwards, Bock, etc.), they probably aren't a top 8 side any more, but Tippet can't really go worse than last year, and he should be given a Leigh Brown type role, swapping between being a forward and a ruck, only he is better than Brown.

When i first suggested the Tippetts, i was really only throwing ideas around. Atm, there still seems to be no options for R3/4 outside of the expensive Petrie and Fraser.

Another reason not to get Petrie is he is a huge injury risk. Two players who recently had similar injuries to him (Croad and Egan) never played AFL footy again. Just something to keep in mind as well as him missing rounds 1 and 3.

3. damnfunky

damnfunky New Member

Currently my ruck is:

Sandi, Cox, Zac smith, Rob campbell

I am happy with sandi and cox. and am taking a risk on campbell to be a cash cow.

Zac Smith is who I am worried about.

Has anyone heard anything about him? From the initial player write ups I'd gathered he was predicted to be a good regular player for GC but I havent really been hearing anything else

Has he been playing this pre-season???

4. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

Robert Campbell is injured, so will miss the beginning of the season, and i am fairly sure he is also on the rookie list, meaning he can't play unless he is upgraded to the senior list. Also, the thought of using him as a cash cow is unrealistic mate. Regardless of his starting price, he is unlikely to get games, or if he does to play as the first ruck and score well. Definitely not well enough to increase by 150-200k.

5. crew

crew New Member

Yup agree 100% Ruddy. Same coin for Dexter (tigers) or an extra 7K for Smith give you a lot more chance to moo..........Need a cow mate not a heifer. Ports ruck stock seems to be pretty shallow could pick up a moo or a good chance all 3 will score low ...Big risk imo.

6. anthonyw86

anthonyw86 New Member

think i've finally settled with sandi and cox and 2 gc (smith & tippett) on the bench and using petrie as a MPP, hopefully smith can get a regular game and then alot of us will have no concerns

7. damnfunky

damnfunky New Member

thanks guys. I appreciate your advice. This is my second year at supercoaching, so refining my skills. last year I had shae mcnamara in R4 just coz he used up the least dollars...a bit like those who picked eddie prato. This year with the byes etc its seems though there is more need to make sure each player is a decent pick and will actually do something.

8. crew

crew New Member

Yup gotta give your $ a chance to fatten up mate.

9. Bongwater

Bongwater Guest

I've decided I have to have Sandilands/Cox/Hickey as my ruck combo. Just once I want to be able to post - Sex and Heavy Petting on the Beach on the Forums.

10. Emes

Emes New Member

tell me i'm crazy -

i'm considering petrie as R3 /FOR NOW/ with a view to downgrading a forward rookie to j tippett and switching them both... the way my team is looking at that stage hopefully petrie will be a supersub across M/F/R (or slot in as F6/F7)

advantage of this being picking up another forward rookie from the pretty good crop this year and earning some cash on them, while negating some of the effects of petrie missing 2/3 first games

11. Daveo

Daveo Member

Ok emes

your crazy.

But you need to be to win SC.

12. Nicconis_Nuts

Nicconis_Nuts New Member

Jus found this news on why Smith hadnt been unvealed.
    "Zac Smith is working to overcome bone bruising on a heel, but is a chance to play the following week, McKenna says."

13. You guys considering Tiprat Jr aren't concerned that he's still rookie listed?

14. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

TippyJ is only there for a FR link

Which allows you possible coverage in your forward/ruck lines in the weeks that you have the bye

But the only non rookie FR players are K Tippett, Hale and Petrie, so I think most people are gambling on one of these getting back and fit/in form.

I was on the TippyJ bandwagon and I still might be, just it's a huge risk for what "could be" with Petrie

15. LiQuiD_SiXx

LiQuiD_SiXx Active Member

16. spud

spud New Member

Thank goodness!

Now back to the original deilema: Do we rely on him to be playing when we have to cover one of our starting to rucks and consequently shove an absolute cheapy in R4?

Or do we keep with the R/F idea and have Tippett/Petrie covering the ruck with Smith simply insurance incase an additional cover needs to be found for the week? (with the added con of having to pay for j.tippett)

Having a playing Smith will certainly provide more flexibility come round 6 for Sandilands owners, even if you also have the R/F link set up - incase of an additional late withdrawl/injury, Tippett/Petrie could always stay forward if necessary for that round, while you can use them in the ruck to replace cox/jolly etc if you feel your forward bench player will outscore smith.

17. GeneralHodge

GeneralHodge New Member

I think with Smith back into calc I am just going to put someone like Bailey/Reddan at R4 and forget the Tippett, Petrie, Fraser options.

I want at least 15 Premiums so I can't really have too much money on the bench anyway.

Now my problem is figuring out what the hell I'm going to do about Chappy. Bloody Forward premiums. Oh well, off to the forward thread I go.

18. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree, Smith playing - and lets be honest they are grooming him so he'll play often - puts a bit of a strike through the Petrie/J-Tipp option.

Especially due to J-Tipp's price.

19. tAdmin

tAdmin Guest

Think I'm going to go with Jolly and Cox in the rucks this year.

Or if you prefer, the "Happy Ending" ruck combo.

20. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Michael Gardiner placed on the LTI list yesterday. Means he isnt available until at least round 6 at the earliest. I think expected time back is round 9 at this stage... Kosi is still expected back at round 3 at earliest....