Better rookies or 1 more premium?

Discussion in 'AFL' started by mrwest, Mar 4, 2011.

1. mrwest

mrwest New Member

Hey guys,

Just going through different formats for my team.

I've reached a position where I'm not entirely sold on Krakouer as F6 (although his last NAB efforts could prove me wrong) But the option I'm considering is:

-Is it worth cheaping out on rookies (ie: Bennell downgraded to say Harris, Gaff to Wallis) to get say a Sylvia/O'Keefe on the field from the start? Basically I guess it's the value on bench vs on field argument but why I'm giving this such serious thought is that the bench is so much more important this year (going for points overall)

2. sean

sean New Member

the lower the financial value of the rookie, the less well they have to play for you to make money.

I'd take the cheaper options (as long as you're sure they're playing) and get another keeper.

3. Shenanigans

Shenanigans New Member

it comes down to your team - is the extra premium going to be one of your keepers? if not, then getting rookies with upgrade potential (who aren't necessarily the cheapest) is the way to go. Riskier, but with a lot of potential upside. Its all about risk management. You only lose respect if you are wrong, not money :)

-edit: well, except maybe $50k...

4. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from sean on March 4, 2011, 11:39
    the lower the financial value of the rookie, the less well they have to play for you to make money.

I'd take the cheaper options (as long as you're sure they're playing) and get another keeper. </blockquote>
    same here. I have a couple - Conca and Heppell, but thats cause they have late byes and more time to gain value before mooing. but aprt from them two Swallow is my only other, and hell hopefully be a keeper (at least on the bench)