Ruck Strategy : GnR V MMP V Set & Forget

Discussion in 'AFL' started by crew, Mar 1, 2011.

1. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Going for Jolly, McEvoy, Fraser as my main 3 as I wont have to worry about byes or anything after round 14... Have faith that Fraser can cover adequately enough during Jolly/Big Macs byes...

2. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

What I'm seeing out of the dearth of rookie rucks that have any chance of playing is the R4 should be as cheap as possible this year. There is no point in spending 22k more than necessary in this position.

Based on this, I'm currently looking at Broc McCauley from Brisbane as my R4.

3. soups

soups New Member

at this stage

Sandi / Ryder (J.Tippett, McCauley)

who knows what it will be when the first ball is bounced

4. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

i thought that too Jason, but now have decided to put JTippett as R4, so i dont need to waste a trade bringing him in later.

I will now be able to upgrade one of my F rookies to a MPP R/F at some stage during the season, to cover my main rucks late byes.

but thats because Frase is my R2. if I decide to go with Ryder/Cox as R2, and Frase R3, then Ill definitely get the cheapest R4 avail. as would be no need for MPP link.

i know, pretty much a paraphrase of my last comment on the previous page... oh well

Ill add a bit. to be able to upgrade my R4 to a Ryder/Cox I would need to downgrade Foley in my mids to a rookie. thats what im weighing up atm. where its better to have my $$ Ryder/Cox will undoubtably score better than Fraser, but is it better to have $$ of Fraser on bench not doing much, or with a Foley type on the field...
    Im hoping this all becomes clearer over the coming weeks.

5. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

I like the idea of having J Tippett at the start. Means if you don't start with Petrie and he fires you've got the link set up and waiting. Wish he was bargain priced though.

Going by all the discussion on rucks this year, and quite similar mids/fwds/def, I think rucks will be a massive POD this year.

Anthak, personally I would downgrade Foley one of the tasty rookies you don't have, and be a Cox Ryder (can't beleive that one hasn't been done yet!). That's because I like GnR in the midfield line.

6. Hate to ruin your fun Nick but I saw another TSer make the "Lady Gaga" ruck combo reference a few days back (Cox/Ryder).....

7. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Haha fair enough, I knew it would've had to have been done somewhere!

8. crew

crew New Member

LOL at the Gaga pun ........ Whats the call if you gunna run Jolly / Cox ??

9. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Thought hard about it and pulled the pin on Sandi, going Cox/Ryder instead. The freed up cash has allowed me to add another premium mid.

To Sandi or not to Sandi may well decide the season this year.

10. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

So just so we're clear:

Sex on the Beach - Sandilands / Cox
    Lady Gaga - Cox / Ryder
    Happy Ending - Jolly / Cox
    Hickory Dickory - Vickery / Derickx / Cox
    Self worship - Hale / Cox

I'm sure we can think of others that are not combinations involving the BIG man from the West Coast...

11. Buzzboys

Buzzboys Member

@Nick: I tend to agree with your comments. Given the lack of ruck rookies and the uncertainty of Zac Smith, it may be worth while investing the extra 30K insurance on J Tippett than a dud rookie with the option to trade into Petrie after round 4 if required. This will be just in time to cover Coxy if Zac isn't making the grade.

12. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

I don't mind the Petrie move.

Still, I've got to see more than what I've seen so far to warrant giving him a run.

Anyone know if he played against the Hawks or is in this week to play GWS?

13. shiraz

shiraz New Member

Petrie kicked 1 last week. I think his preseason so far could be politely described as uninspiring. Rested tomorrow vs GWS, but would that matter anyway? All about the dogs next week for the Petrie decision...

14. crew

crew New Member

Went to Dekin Reserve last night and watched Vickery V Hale. Impressed with both!!. Crap game, scrappy and no one really firing but these two did look good. One I kept an eye on was I Smith and he is gonski for me, to light and looked lost (not sure where he was supposed to be)and in doubt (weather to lead up or drop back) most of the time.

15. claxy

claxy New Member

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/sydney-captain-goodes-sends-gold-coast-suns-out-in-the-cold/story-e6frf9jf-1226016421649

Zac Smith still to get a game. Maybe the weather put Mckenna off and had him as a late scratching???

16. Corks

Corks Member

Keefe good again tonight. I'm starting to think he may be part of Maggies plans this year; hard as it will be to get regular game time in the team. Gives you the GnR strategy if he gets a game.

17. PumpyChowdown

PumpyChowdown New Member

R3 and R4 are turning into my biggest concern, particularly R4.

Sandi/Cox LOCK! I still have faith in Z. Smith for R3. R4 though...Broc Macauly?

Who else? Derickx seems out of favour with Vickery doing so well.

I don't want to have lots of $$$$ sitting on my ruck pine doing nothing either.

18. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

The problem would be easily solved if they got real with some of their MPP designations - with the amount of time Vickery has spent forward rather than rucking he should really have F/R MPP, then there'd be an answer for some! Just another dilemma to deal with!!!

19. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Similarly Mitch Clark should be F/R. With the changing of team structures this year to adjuts to the substitute rule, I would think that most clubs will have a F/R player and a RUC player each week, as opposed to two RUC players.

The powers that be for SC clearly didn't give this enough thought over the off-season for mine.

20. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from Jason on March 6, 2011, 09:17
    Similarly Mitch Clark should be F/R. With the changing of team structures this year to adjuts to the substitute rule, I would think that most clubs will have a F/R player and a RUC player each week, as opposed to two RUC players.

The powers that be for SC clearly didn't give this enough thought over the off-season for mine.</blockquote>

That's why i'm enjoying FantasyFooty.net.au more this season, has a total of 52 more DPP's than DT or SC, including 11 Ruckmen!!!
    Maybe it'll take a petition from the dedicated players of SC and DT to get them to see the light and bring themselves up to date with the realities of the game!!!