Position Focus - Forwards

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. soups

soups New Member

why isnt anyone mentionin Gia as an alternate to Higgins?

2. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Can't see Gia ever scoring more highly than his start price would assume in 2011. He might well stay about the same, but I would think more likely he will slow down at least a 5ppg - perhaps even a bit more.

Higgins clearly has some potential to improve on his start price though, balanced with some potential to miss games to soft-tissue injuries.

3. PumpyChowdown

PumpyChowdown New Member

The FWD's just seem so fragile this year. Currently 5 out of my starting 7 have either significant injury or suspension risks which is a big worry, however if I play it safe and go for durability over scoring, it feels like I'm just leaving so many points behind.

Forward's aren't cool this year.

4. aerodyte

aerodyte New Member

BREAKING NEWS

Callinan has torn his bicep off the bone in the practice match against Carlton. Time to remove him from your team

5. Bongwater

Bongwater Guest

Crameri looking good for Bombers maybe an elevation _ is there a slot ?

Richardson hopefully for North and maybe Brandon Matera might be replacements for "Call iNan".

Christ Nathan Ablett might even get a run.

This is getting ridiculous.

There could be 100+ teams with exactly same score after round one.

6. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

So to all you Hawthorn nuts, Ruddy, Spud et al., what are the realistic chances of Tom Scheinder getting a game, and his relative job security?

Hawks seems packed full, and with Puopolo firming....is there room?

If yes, is a tasty direct, almost identical swap for Callinan (in terms of price and DPP).

7. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

Honestly mate, i don't think Schneider will play. Firstly, he is on the rookie list, which means he has to get upgraded over second and third year players, just to possibly play. Secondly, i would think the likes of Smith, Breust, Williams Poo and Savage are ahead of him in terms of getting into that small forward/midfielder role.

Just for the record, i think our forward line will be made up by more resting midfielders this year than last, something along the lines of:
    Bateman Franklin Rioli
    Hale Roughead Osbourne

With the likes of Burgoyne, Young, Lewis, Ellis, as well as Bruce Puopolo, Smith etc. Depth is something Hawthorn seems to have improved significantly over the preseason, especially if the likes of Milne, Morton, Savage, Suckling, and all the above mentioned players are pushing for selection.

If Hawthorn do a Collingwood and start playing players based on form and talent rather than what has previously worked, then we will go top 4, probably top 2. If we play the likes of Guerra, Lewis etc. through long patches of bad form, then we will likely end up in the bottom half of the eight, possibly sneaking into fourth, imo.

An interesting note on Schneider, is that i have a few friends that used to go to school with him. Apparently he is an absolute nut. Hawthorn had said they would pick him with whatever pick they used on Puopolo, but when Poo was still available, they picked him instead. Schneider then picked up a chair and threw it across the room, smashing it to pieces lmao. Possible disciplinary issues in his future, however this is all according to friends of mine who said he was off his nut haha.

8. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Haha thanks Rudyy, pretty funny story actually. Would no doubt get suspended early on then. Thanks for the info, there are others for the same spot I just wanted to know where he sat in the scheme of things.

@ Limo23
    Strange though it seems, Crameri is only listed as a midfielder, not a forward.

9. ELeviathan

ELeviathan Active Member

do any of Bulldogs supporters out there have any good oil on the potential of Vezspremi this year?

10. Jason

He has some potential and was targeted by the club in the off-season. But he would be in contention with quite a number of other guys in the best 22. Hill, Stack, Moles, Hooper, Skinner...

I don't think he's lit up the preseason to the point that he currently makes it into the best 22. Not a shabby showing to date, but not enough to demand selection for R1 either.

11. ALLSTAR22

ALLSTAR22 New Member

My current fwds (feedback appreciated)

N Riewoldt, Rioli, Higgins, Duncan, Watts,
    Krakouer, Richardson (Prestia, Matera, McKernan)

12. Jason

Not enough quality in there. Watts just doesn't seem suited to SC scoring, even if he is slightly better than last year.

13. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Love the comments on Schneider.

Given the gravy train that is AFL, you can understand why a kid would get a bit tense in those circumstances.

A certain premiership captain was ignored and shoved off by Bomber Thompson and told he was best of playing Geelong reserves. It happens.

AllStar on your forward setup it's really hard to make a call without looking at the rest of your lineup but I'm thinking it's a stock standard forward line with Duncan and Watts being the PODs. Personally I can't see these two PODs dominating the comp and putting your team ahead of the other challengers, but if you've done your homework go with it.

14. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Agree with Jason, your F3-F4 needs to be a bit stronger, with someone like Chappy/Harvey/Buddy/Pav/Stevie J. Of course I'm sure there are reasons you haven't put these guys in, but Higgins at F3 is pretty risky.
    Still not 100% sold on Duncan (remember that Geelong still haven't fielded anywhere near a complete side, when they do Duncan will have much less of the pie) and get rid of Watts.

15. ALLSTAR22

ALLSTAR22 New Member

Getting rid of Duncan (although he has got massive wraps) and Watts frees up 500k (Chappy is way overpirced for a 40 yo lol, Stevie J far too incosistent, Buddy will drop in value after a few quiet opening rounds) , and was looking at Rohan but he is a massive question mark with the achilles problem.

My fwds are : Riewoldt, Rioli, Higgins, ???, ???Krakouer, Richardson (Prestia, Matera, Mckernan)

Who fits into the ???'s

16. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

I'd suggest one rookie and one premium, and make 100k of savings elsewhere!

But that's coming from a GNR perspective.

Otherwise you're really looking at not much.

eg Dangerfield and another 150k player urgh.

17. ALLSTAR22

ALLSTAR22 New Member

Thanks for the advice,

Maybe this is looking a bit better :

Sylvia, N Riewoldt, Rioli, Higgins, Krakouer
    Richardson, Darling (Prestia, Matera, McKernan)

Of course have to wait until R1 teams are named
    to see if Darling or McKernan get a gig.
    Richardson & Krakouer are definitely ok for a run
    in the first round.

18. spud

spud New Member

Varcoe(Geelong) will be back this weekend and playing against the Blues after his shoulder injury.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/108985/default.aspx

<blockquote>However, Paul Chapman continues to struggle with a groin complaint.

"He's had a relatively good pre-season, he just hasn't been quite right to play," Balme said of Chapman.

"He's not out of the question for round one. I think he's a fair chance of playing. </blockquote>

The way they worded Chapmans issues didn't fill me with confidence though. As if the pickings of premiums in the forward line weren't slim enough already. Starting at his price, perhaps he's better as an upgrade target rather than taking a risk.

19. Heater

Heater New Member

Why the love for Sylvia? He just seems too inconsistent for my liking. I reckon there are better players around his price which will provide better scores...

20. Morko78

Morko78 New Member

Any takers on Lecras? I was suprised to see his price hovering around the 400K mark. If the WCE can afford to move him up and into a more high half-forward/midfield role his scores could hit 90+.