Position Focus - Forwards

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Bongwater

Bongwater Guest

Re Jack Riewoldt.

If he follows a similar path to his Cuz whats to stop him from improving.

To compare every team knows Nick Riewoldt's ability but he still maintains his SC scores and of course is one of the first chosen Premium Fwd's. We all know how hard he is to stop.

Maybe Jack doesn't have the same tank as Roo but surely after last year he exhibited pots of ability.

To confess he got a run from day one in my team.

2. Corks

Corks Member

Limo23...spot on. Happy for others to go elsewhere, just makes it more likely JRoo will be a POD. Followed him over recent years and he has improved every year, and through the year. Think Richmond getting better will only help him. He's just hit the right age-bracket for CHF Premium scorers as well. Anyone able to elaborate on his injury though? is he likely for Round 1, or is it unknown?

3. ALLSTAR22

ALLSTAR22 New Member

I'm quite happy with this line for my DT

Franklin, Sylvia, N Riewoldt, Yarran,
    Krakouer, Richardson, Darling - TBC
    (Prestia, McKernan, Matera)

Thoughts ???

4. WindyHillWizard

WindyHillWizard New Member

@Jason - re Cloke. For mine options are then limited with having other Pie forwards such as Krak and Didak (as an upgrade).

Can't see myself having two Pie forwards and I think the value lies elsewhere with the Pies.

5. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

As bonesy said, where can the improvement come from? I doubt his goals or contested marking, which are probably the two highest scoring facets of his game will increase, and if anything, they will drop. If Richmond are competitive this year, they will have to find other options than Roo Jr, and if the game is close, he will be the first one to get double or triple teamed.

The expected output for Higgins (95+) is higher than Riewoldt's average from last year, and Roo had probably the best season he could have at Richmond and at that stage of his career. Add in Roo's knee, which has been in the public eye for a week or two now, and i reckon Higgins and others are a better choice. I'd also shy away because i wouldn't want two rpemiums from Richmond, Lids being the other one.

6. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

@WHW
    My options looking at Cloke aren't limited by either Krak or Didak as I'm not starting either of these guys. I think Didak will drop around 5ppg this year on 2010, if the Pies can maintain the rage. If they can't, I could realistically see Didak dropping more than that.
    With a dearth of set-and-forget FWD premiums, we've all been looking at the 'almost' premiums a fair bit. I just can't see why more people aren't looking at Travis Cloke. Must be a POD thing I suppose.

7. soups

soups New Member

so then jason who is making up your fwd line at this stage?

8. Jason

Tonight:
    N. Riewoldt, Pavlich, Rioli, Cloke, Higgins, Gamble, Richardson (McKernan, Matera, Darling)

Tomorrow: could change again...

Gamble has to prove this weekend that he is worth the gamble. But I'm pretty happy with everone else. At least for tonight. :)

9. Corks

Corks Member

As an exercise, use the wonderful graphing tool on this site to compare JRoo, Missy and Trav. Missy 2010 is a disaster, so you need to be betting that he has massive upside - plenty on that elsewhere, its about how much risk you're willing to take.

Trav's numbers are surprisingly good - more consistent that JRoo, but some real flatspots.

Comments earlier are about there being no upside for JRoo, but the upside is consistency. 10 games last year less than 70 points. If he can take them up by 10 points per game, he gets around 100 average for the year. At 22 is the age where we should see that consitent effort, while still capable of a few freakish 150+ games that you need for the big SC scores. Cant see Missy hitting those highs, and Trav would need to kick straight to get up there.

10. WindyHillWizard

Having a POD in a side that is going to dominate this year isnt the worst option.

I agree that Didak may drop slightly so someone has take up the slack in the forward line.

I know some are down on Waite, but he is still on my watch-list. I dont expect him to have suspension issues this year. I think much of that was frustration with his own poor form and I expect that his form will improve this year.

11. Jet

Jet Member

The improvement for J Roo could be as easy Richmond kicking 40 more goals over the season - which could in turn mean Jack kicks 15 more.
    I'm not gonna pick him but I can see why people would.

12. WindyHillWizard

BTW - I think that its the FWDS that will make or break most teams this year.

Stating the obvious I know, but its the PODS here that have the most interest for me.

13. Corks

Corks Member

Not sure why everyone is in love with Missy again (and yes, I had him all last year). Just looked up his 2009, and it wasn't that great either (worse than JRoo's 2010) and his 2010 was deplorable. At what point is he no longer considered undervalued, but overrated?

14. Jason

I agree with you WHW about the PODs in the FWD line. Especially considering the volatility of FWD player's scores. I rode Boomer all the way last year and he was often the key POD for my team. I took the risk that most others weren't prepared to take on him and it paid off last year. I'm not prepared to risk going back to Boomer this year though.

A month ago I had thought that Higgins was going to be a POD, but apparently not so at the moment.

15. ThommoDees

ThommoDees New Member

I've gone with a couple of risky mid pricers in my fwd line. As it stands I have N Roo, Buddy, Pav, Delicious, Missy, M Duncan, C Knights, Krak, Matera & T Schneider. Obviously Missy and Knights are both injury concerns, but i'm interested in whether anyone else is looking at Mitch Duncan?

16. GlenS

GlenS New Member

Is there any love for Liam Jurrah at the Demons? Me, as a Demon supporter, there naturally is plenty of admiration. But as far as SC or DT, I think he will be a hot and cold prospect. His price is quite tempting though, but I am just wondering if there is a much better "sure thing" around his price....

17. ThommoDees

ThommoDees New Member

@GlenS

You could consider Neon or Yarran around that price. Agree with you that LJ will be a bit hot and cold, but so can the aforementioned. All 3 carry risk.

18. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

@ThommoDees
    If you're going for overall, you will have a problem in round 6 with Rioli, Buddy, Pav, Duncan and Schneider all missing that week. If you're going for overall, then a good looking forward line.

19. ThommoDees

ThommoDees New Member

@Ruddy
    Thanks mate. I'm definitely not thinking I have any chance overall. Just trying to pick the best team atm. I'm considering Yarran and Neon for my F6 position rather than Knights.Who do you think poses the least risk?

20. Morko78

Morko78 New Member

ThommoDees-Yarran is currently holding down F6 in my FWD line. Now that he is playing a different role off half back(and providing Carlton play him there) he has the gig for mine. He is entering his 3rd year and has youth on his side as opposed to Neon. I reckon he can really up his ppg average this year. At 300K he isn't what you would call in that really awkward price range as opposed to 350-400K either. Would like to know what he has averaged in the NAB challenge games.