Whats the deal with the HBFers?

Discussion in 'AFL' started by walesy, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

@Jason
    I reckon Cheney is competing for that small defender spot opened up by Campbell Brown. Some others who are competing for the 2, maybe 3 small defender positions are: Guerra, Murphy, Ladson, Puopolo, Suckling and i would even put in Ellis and Whitecross, depending on circumstances.

2. spud

spud New Member

<blockquote>Quote from TerryinBangkok on March 9, 2011, 12:41
    Good on ya spud. "Different" is what we thrive on at TS.

"With different likely to have their own slightly different versions of the frontal pressure this year, some will no doubt be better than others and will require different tactics to beat." </blockquote>

Haha! Well picked up :D
    I've edited it as i forgot the word 'teams' after the first 'different'.

I may have had one too many different drinks by the looks of things :)

Haha @ the POD remark Lucas, nice one.

And Jason, I agree with Ruddy regarding Cheney fighting for a small defender position along with the players he mentioned (preference goes to non-red heads!). They won't all fit into the same side, but it finally puts the hawks in a position where they can play people based on form, not out of necessity. Having a bad patch or need to find confidence? Spend a week or two at BHH and fight your way back in.

I reckon Lucas might be on the money with something he said in one of his earlier posts, with the HFF role potentially being the harder role to play this year, given the emphasis on forward pressure and shutting down an oppositions backline/quarterback.

3. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

@Lucas

Think your observations on the Saints and Pies back halves are spot on. Other teams may also have stable backs, but most don't have the luxury of FWD/MIDS. The Cats have the potential to do it, depending on the roles they decide for Stevie J., Chappy and Varcoe. Just looking at Harry O as an example, it would seem more TOG does not necessarily mean more SC points. Conversely, if we take Fisher as the example, perhaps it does?

Were you not at one stage advocating moving Riewoldt into the back half, only to be howled down by the sound of thunder?

4. travyboy11

travyboy11 New Member

Iam interested to know what rookies SC players are using this year? its tough to pick i have my team done, but my rookies are duigan, hibberd and tape with heppel on the ground? and obviouslt otten. i then have 4 premiums and a mid pricer in everitt but may change that to maybe a yarran? what you think?

5. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Hibberd and Heppell in the same line is a waste isn't it? Put one in the mids so as to create a M/F DPP link.

I think you're jumping between lines as well, as Yarran is a forward, not a backman.

I am still unsold on Yarran, and a little unsure, but am tempted. Could be a handy POD, but want to be sure I'm not getting caught up in Carlton supporter hysteria! I like all the talk regarding him as a rebounding defender.

I would like to hear more debate on Yarran and see some more scores before he becomes a target.

6. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

@travyboy11

I think you need to have a thorough read of the back issues on this forum. Lots of topics on rookies and on defender choices in there. After this weekend's round it will become possible to put your team up in a special post and have it assessed and ranked.

7. spud

spud New Member

<blockquote>Quote from travyboy11 on March 9, 2011, 14:16
    Iam interested to know what rookies SC players are using this year? its tough to pick i have my team done, but my rookies are duigan, hibberd and tape with heppel on the ground? and obviouslt otten. i then have 4 premiums and a mid pricer in everitt but may change that to maybe a yarran? what you think?</blockquote>

Check out the following thread for discussions on defenders, Trav.

Rookies, premiums and everything inbetween is covered.

Position Focus - Defenders

http://tooserious.net/forum?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=21.24

8. Corks

Corks Member

There is a lot of love for Grimes out there. I'm tossing up Enright vs Grimes. I love the way Corey plays, but realisticly expect him to be a 90ish player this year. What's the Grimes case / story - just don't know enough about him?

9. travyboy11

travyboy11 New Member

You are right, yarran is a forward have no idea what i was thinking, i was meant to say E Wood from bullies. for everitt instead???
    I also agree with what your saying about hibberd and heppell. and something I missed, iam very glad i came on and asked. cheers guys.

10. travyboy11

travyboy11 New Member

thank you for the link to the defenders link. much help.

11. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the replies spud/Ruddy. I was slightly tempted but thinking better of it and you've convinced me nicely.

12. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

@Corks on Grimes, just get on

Yarran won't be much of a POD. Lots are on him now. At the price he is worth a very good look.

I'm starting to think that the forwards this year will contain the value options, that backs and mids will be pure GNR and that Fraser is probably the wisest choice for the ruck role given the last two winners have started with below priced rucks.

Starting to think about going gangbusters in the mids to start with. Counter intuitive, but that's how Rommel's mind worked

13. suther

suther Member

@ Lucas

I have been tinkering with the same idea. Now wouldnt that be a POD.

14. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

Great Lucas, now you've got me wondering about the possibilities of having Surfers Paradise (Cox+Fraser).

Way too much umming and aahing already, do we need more!?

15. Lucas

Port I reckon "PM in Memphis" is the correct terminology for the Fraser-Cox combination haha ;D

Suther yeah smashem in the mids. 4 rookies 5 prems. Then cash in on declining forwards.

Really it will mess up a structure so I've got to be sure about it. But I'm still thinking defence is where some quality rookies are, midfield is good but probably only from the get-go.

Forwards looks like there could be some good options later in the season.

Rucks again get players and try to save your money.

But back to HBFs...

16. Stew

Stew New Member

Hahaha... these ruck combo names are getting out of control.

Perhaps an article focusing on the merits of various starting ruck combo's is in order, with corresponding names. I haven't heard the Jolly/Cox name yet... but I'm sure it will have something to do with Mrs Claus.

But back to HBF's... ;)

17. Lucas

Jolly Cox ended up as "Happy Ending" but I don't mind extending it to "Mrs Claus' Happy Ending"

Back to hbfs haha

18. Stew

Stew New Member

Brilliant.... here is one for you.
    Mumford plus Fraser and Z. Smith
    = Mumford and Suns

Back to ... who am I kidding....