Position Focus - Forwards

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. ThommoDees

ThommoDees New Member

@Morko78
    I agree that Yarran is probably a safer bet than Neon, but my concern with him is if he becomes a keeper, (which i would hope he would be)then he will be missing for the prelim final (assuming i get there). It's the same reason I haven't taken Gibbs.

2. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

The big worry of the late byes for teams like Carlton and Essendon I don't think should make or break a selection in your team. We have plenty of trades, and would hopefully have premiums covering for other premiums by the end of the season.

Chapman going really throws an interesting edge into the fwd debate. Pav is the clear downgrade for me, however you could downgrade to someone who would make the round 6 bye easier to handle, like Sylvia. Personally I'm going with Pav, as I wanted him in anyway, and the extra cash is actually proving tricky to know where to spend.

Personally JRoo is a big no for me.
    1. Richmond premium 1 max in Delids
    2. Preseason injury - doesn't matter if he'll be right by round 1, unless under special circumstances past mistakes have almost always taught me to stay away from any player with even a niggle in the preseason.
    3. Agree with others, cannot see where his improvement will come from.

And on Cloke, could breakout, just needs to kick straighter.

3. Cyclone8

Cyclone8 New Member

Gday boys,

Brilliant site and unbelievably helpful forum for getting that extra bit of info you need for this year.

My Q is with my fwd line:
    Currently i have N.Roo, Rioli, S.Johnson, Jurrah, Krak, Prestia and C.Richardson with bench Darling, I.Smith and B.Matera. I've hinged my bets on the big 4 returning decent scores and hoping the rookies will return say 2 of 3 games. Any thoughts? Have i gone with too many rookies?

Cheers..

4. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Not too many rookies for mine, it's a risk but calculated one.

Just think with F2-F4 you need a bit more stability.

I'd think Rioli, Johnson and Jurrah could get 400 in a week, but they could also easily get 100 between them.

Mzungu in the mids I guess...

5. travyboy11

travyboy11 New Member

Hi guys, its great to have a good read here and see everyones opinions. I have a GNR approach and looking to be making huge scores around 7 - 10 but will get big scores still early. I dont have any issue i think with my forward line, i have gone with 3 premiums 2 mids and the rest rookies for cash my issue is the backline, i can get 4 premiums there but struggling to really pick the mid pricer and then the rookies, I also would like to know what peops think of andreas everitt this year? as a mid pricer who will rise to over 400k especially being at Sydney and we know what they do with mature age recruits?

whats your thoughts on that and the defensive line???

6. bonesy

bonesy Member

interesting article here about JRoo's role in the team this year.
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...or-jack-riewoldt/story-e6frf9jf-1226018690656

basically, emphasis will be on spreading the goal kicking load, and him spending more time pushing up the ground in more of a CHF role.

FWIW I think this is the kind of role that could see his ppg go up in the long run. but it comes down to whether or not he's ready and able to influence games from CHF yet.
    I reckon he's still a couple of years off, but certainly capable of growing into the role.

7. PFJ

PFJ Guest

I've had Chappy in & out of my fwd line for a while now - can't make up my mind on how to replace him if he's cut. Currently got NRoo, Buddy, Cyril, Chappy/Goodes/Pav(?), Higgins with Richardson in F7. Looking for F6 options. Not sold on Danger & noticed some good arguments being made for Yarran as a possible mid-priced alternative. Was wondering what the mail is on someone like Leroy Jetta. Anyone?

8. Corks

Corks Member

I've gone Goodes in the HOPE that Longmire will let him loose in the middle for at least half of every game. Big risk, but options like Dids, Pav, Boomer have the same downside, without the really big upside. No to Leroy for me. A few good games, but lots of low scores.

9. BrockyFreo

BrockyFreo Member

Umm ... Yarran tries real real hard, however that's the only reason he's in the AFL. I saw his documentary and he was only the best of a bad bunch. He doesn't have a lot of talent.

On Chappy, I think a better option is to see how he goes and plan to bring him after round 6; i don't think he will change in price much.

The real question is: Taylor walker from Adelaide.. he's mid priced, is he going to be premium this year? we all know he has poor competition in tippet, he could really shine.

(Liam jurrah is a lock in my team; i know he'll be up and down but will average high and exciting to watch!)

10. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

I have forgotten, as i haven't thought about him much lately due to the round 6 bye limitations, but what are the problems with picking Pav?

His age i suppose, but the injuries at Freo means him and Sandi will be the two stars, and he doesn't have to compete for points.

11. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from bonesy on March 9, 2011, 23:34
    interesting article here about JRoo's role in the team this year.
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...or-jack-riewoldt/story-e6frf9jf-1226018690656

basically, emphasis will be on spreading the goal kicking load, and him spending more time pushing up the ground in more of a CHF role.

FWIW I think this is the kind of role that could see his ppg go up in the long run. but it comes down to whether or not he's ready and able to influence games from CHF yet.
    I reckon he's still a couple of years off, but certainly capable of growing into the role.</blockquote>

This is exactly what I was thinking. We all saw how Buddy struggled in 09 when pushed up into the midfield. I think it might take him some time to develop in the new role. Could be a good mid-season pickup though.

12. HeavyMen

HeavyMen Well-Known Member

Ok F6 David Astbury F7 C Richardson for me. Astbury to get cheap points running out of half back line?Does anyone rate B Johnson (Cats) as a bench option? Has been some press by him saying he's ready - anyone close at Geelong? Could he be a better choice than I Smith, B Matera, J Darling etc?

13. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Haven't heard much about him, but surely Matera and Darling will get games earlier. I Smith looks to have fallen away, the Hawks just don't seem to have room.

14. Morko78

Morko78 New Member

Agree, I.Smith has been quiet and he may not play early for the Hawks, but he will play. We need more pace and he has loads of it.

15. Lucas

Pavlich should stay premium if only because Barlow is gone for a few games.

Certainly he is an interesting switch option for Chapman, but certainly in my view below Franklin and Rioli and a little ahead of SJ.

16. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

<blockquote>Quote from Morko78 on March 11, 2011, 08:42
    Agree, I.Smith has been quiet and he may not play early for the Hawks, but he will play. We need more pace and he has loads of it.</blockquote>

I'm not so sure...I wouldn't be surprised at all if he makes it into the round 1 side, Clarko has big wraps on him! And as you said, we need pace!

17. Furious

Furious New Member

SJ/Pavlich/Rioli/Buddy I want them all but this rd6 bye is a killer.

i'm thinking I might go for N.Riewoldt/rioli/buddy/pav and spend 2 trades to replace a couple (rioli & pav) and then spend 2 trades to get them back in and just sub buddy off that round

Is this a waste of trades? Or will the 4 trades set me apart from everyone else and keep me scoring well?

18. Lucas

I think chomping on one donut is not that bad if that's what you have to do.

That said it's totally not my strategy but mine hasn't been tested in match conditions so mine could blow smoke by R2

19. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

I for one will be chomping on a donut that round. I think the saved trades and points gained over the entire season outweigh the problem eating a donut in round 6. I'm not going to select Boomer over Rioli just due to one round. Marathon not sprint!

20. CJ22

CJ22 New Member

Does anyone have any word on Higgins? Is he fit? Absolutely superstar and can average high 90-100s. Just needs to stay on the park.