Position Focus - Midfielders

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. chewy

chewy New Member

thanks for that walesy,at this stage i think i will stick with him.you just know he,ll come back and tear it up ,i wanna be on him.the fwd,s just looks so barren without him in it.(he was gonna end up there after doing his mid duties for me early in the year)!CHEERS.

2. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from Chappy on March 11, 2011, 02:03
    My hope is he drops and I can get him later.</blockquote>Famous last words?

3. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Hoping for Chapman to drop is risky business, too risky in fact.

4. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

I think SJ is a lot easier to get in cheap.

Could easily get him at 350, the thing is you'd have to have balls of steel to do that, because he's every chance of sitting there stinking you up for another 3-4 weeks before rising like a loaf of bread.

5. CJ22

CJ22 New Member

How are people going with the tough premium mid decisions of players from the same teams? Boyd vs Cross, Dal vs Montagna vs Hayes, Pendlebury vs Swan. I would think ever team would have one and a few would have two of these guys. Would like to have Cross, but Boyd looks the value pick, so I might pick up Cross later. Montagna looks underpriced given what we know he can do, not sure if Hayes can put in another consistent year as the Saints might just try and prime him for finals, Dal Santo should be his up and down self depending on which team/tagger he plays against. Pendles vs Swan has been mentioned, not prepared to pay the &#36;&#36; for Swan at this stage. Any one have any thoughts on the top mids?

6. Corks

Corks Member

CJ22 - some here will argue the point, but when I'm selecting my Premiums I go for the ones I think will give me max score regularly through the year and that I want in my team all year if possible. Hence Swan over Pendles, Judd over Murphy, Monty over Dal. It can be argued that you go for value, but at the Premium level its harder to pick, and if Swan averages 20 more than Pendles for the first 5 or so rounds it will make a difference to your score, while not closing the gap on price.

7. RickJames

RickJames New Member

I would love to have both Swan and Pendles to start with buy the byes would hammer your midfield too much.
    Might upgrade to the other once the byes are out of the way for the finals.

I haven't picked him up but I reckon Murphy will average higher than Juddf this year and may even nudge elite status

8. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Boyd does present value, but maybe not enough to take him to elite (120ppg) territory. I am expecting him to rise by around 5ppg.

9. WindyHillWizard

WindyHillWizard New Member

Bulldogs midfield is looking strong..Boyd, Cross, Cooney, Griffin with Ward, Higgins, Gia running through.

There's alot of qulaity there, and I think the doggies will have a big say in September.

10. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Only issue I have with Boyd is Round 4 clash with Montags (+ Roo, Goddard, Higgins etc.)

What a sigh of relief it will be next year with no byes (hopefully).

However it does sort the wheat from the chaff.

11. Tigerman

Tigerman New Member

My mid thinking is severely influenced by the lack of quality fit forward premiums, ie: with Chappy not a certainty to be injury free, I have the cash to take 4 premiums in the mids. I've gone with Swan, Judd, Montagna and Cross - being the highest scoring mids from 2010 who have the least injury concerns or rumours linked to them at this stage.

12. Grunta

Grunta New Member

So what do people think of guys under &#36;300,000 to make some cash in the M4 / M5 positions, like Craig Bird, Sam Butler, Brodie Martin and Callan Ward?
    Any takers?

13. GeneralHodge

GeneralHodge New Member

@Grunta

For M4/5 I would rather make some real cash and get a rookie. The only mid pricer I would consider in the mids is Kennedy. I don't have him either.

14. Grunta

Grunta New Member

Suggestion noted.

15. Corks

Corks Member

Grunta, I'm with the General. 3 premiums; 6 rookies for me, especially a couple of the Suns boys who will have plenty of opportunity. By Round 13/14 you should be able to cash into a 6 premium midfield with any luck.

16. HeavyMen

HeavyMen Well-Known Member

My thoughts; Swan, Pendles, Mitchell, Bartel, either Gibbs or Deledio (have both). Then A Krak (Swallow, Harris & Heppell). Deledio's pre season form a worry to anyone?

17. Corks

Corks Member

May take Lids a few games to really pay off. I wouldn't consider him as a mid, nor Gibbs, but both locked in the backs due to the lack of quality options there. For mids there are better options around the same price, like Boyd or Cooney.

18. HeavyMen

HeavyMen Well-Known Member

My problem is have Goddard, Lids, Broughton, Grimes Ottens, Astbury & Hibberd. (Batchelor, Duigan & Hunt)
    If I put Gibbs down there as well I put a R into mid but a bit nervous about who. Have Mzunga as a fwd MPP at moment. Any talk on Atley at Roos being a starter?
    Had I Smith for a longtime but gone off him. Appreciate any feedback.

19. Corks

Corks Member

IMO, ditch Astbury for Gibbs, then put Swallow, Gaff, Conca or Heppell into your mids. Don't focus just on MPPs - you still need the best possible side with MPPs as the icing. Heppell or Hibbert in mids gives you the MPP anyway, and Schnieder or Mzungu in the mids can be the forward MPP. Not sure you want Hunt either - there are a few other GCS options (check the defender thread) that are better.

20. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Any love for Bernie Vince? From reports i read online he had a pretty productive match tonight.