Position Focus - Defenders

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. HissingSid

HissingSid New Member

What are peoples' thoughts on Kyle Chaney. Personally, I think he represents great value and should be in Hawthorn's starting 22. I haven't seen much talk about him and assume I must be missing something. Understand he is competing with Popoulo for a spot but reckon he has him covered.

2. GeneralHodge

GeneralHodge New Member

Puopolo has Cheney covered.

3. PFJ

PFJ Guest

I'm sure you guys have covered this...but has anyone given Drummond a second thought??? Teams started to work Enright out last year & Gilbee isn't a lock. If Drummond can stay on the park he does represent good value!

4. Chappy

Chappy New Member

Is anyone giving Hurley thought? I have been burnt by him before but his NAB cup have been ok. Plus he's an MPP.

5. Corks

Corks Member

Drummond still no signs of being fit, so I can't consider him till he's shown he is back to what he was 2 years ago. Really like Hurley - he will be a good pick at some stage in the future, but will it be this year? Doesn't fit a GnR strategy, but would definitely consider him in a value-based league team.

6. NedFlanders

NedFlanders Active Member

Not much discussion here on the merits of Stiffy, down at crow park.

Do they play him at QB more now that Goodwin, McLeod and Edwards are gone?

Goddard, Lids, Gibbs and Grimes look like locks. The round 4-6 multibyes make me have second thoughts about Broughton, Enright and Co.

Any love?

7. spud

spud New Member

With Chappy having been taken out of my forwards, I feel I have room for one of Broughton/Duffied/Enright without too much trouble so yeah, some love from me for those, Ned.

I keep changing it every day though, as i have a handful of others out in round 6 already and while covering them won't be an issue unless injuries/late withdrawals/suspensions hit, I'm concerned with the teams scoring potential in that round if it's choc full of cheapies.

8. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

@GeneralHodge
    I disagree. My choice would be Puopolo in the team, but i reckon Cheney has been better over the preseason, which means he should get picked, if we are picking based on form, not history.

9. eagles2011

eagles2011 New Member

Anyone else thinking that maybe the cookie cutter is changing shape: Heppell starting to disappoint a bit and Lids looking like he's had an ordinary preseason.

10. GeneralHodge

GeneralHodge New Member

@Ruddy

I actually agree with you but like you said, your choice would still be Puopolo. So would mine and I dare say it would be Clarko's choice too.

11. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

Not so sure on Clarko. He seems to have some love children, especially in the small defender spot (Murphy, Guerra), and i reckon Cheney could be another. Puopolo brings more pace to our back line, but if Cheney is outperforming him, then Cheney will ultimately bring more to the team. If Clarko is a good coach, he will recognise this, and play Cheney.

The main problem with these two, is that Ladson is also fighting for this spot, and i don't think who will get it is clear cut, or ever will be this season, barring injury. I reckon we may see each of the three play between 8 and 16 games, but who knows if they will play those games consecutively, or early, or late.

One thing i do know, is that history tells us Clarko sticks with things that have previously worked (Ladson), but if he wants to change, as he seemingly has implied, then he will pick players based on form, which for me, means Cheney starts.

12. JMac

JMac Member

Hi guys, just want to hear everyone's thoughts on Hibberd (Ess) Vs B Smith (Adel

13. JMac

JMac Member

The way I see it is Puopolo, and every other mature age recruit for that matter, was picked up to fill a need, otherwise the club could have taken a gamble on a younger player who they can mould. Puopolo for mine.

14. spud

spud New Member

I prefer Hibberd, JMAC, as he comes with the dual position tag and has a late first bye (#10). Smith on the other hand has a bye in round 2.

15. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

@JMac
    I disagree mate. Hawks picked up Smith and Puopolo, who are 21/22ish, meaning they still have basically their entire career ahead of them. But the fact that they have mature bodies, mean that if we get an injury, we have a ready made player in waiting. Picking up a skinny kid who needs 2 or 3 years to develop is useless to Hawthorn atm, as by then our core group will be older, and some of them (Hodge, Mitchell, Burgoyne) will be almost retiring, so our premiership window may be closed.

Regardless of who plays, we will have a mature player sitting out as we have 3 small defender spots, and at least 6 or 7 players going for it.

Also, i'm just putting it out there, we picked up a mature player in Cheney as well, so in all likelihood, one won't play. There's also the problem of whether his role as a mature age recruit is to provide coverage for injuries.

16. Mad_Mattigan

Mad_Mattigan Member

Speaking of mature age recruits, what's everyone's thoughts on K. Hunt?

I've got him in my side at the moment given the following:
    * he's rookie cheap
    * mature body will stand up to contact
    * he's an absolute lock to play every week if fit
    * he's improving with every game

Thoughts?

17. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

The only thing that turns me away from K.Hunt is that his potential to score large would seem to be fairly small. Someone like Toy on the other hand has more potential, although comes with more risk due to job security and whether his body can hold up to bashing against the big boys.

K.Hunt could very well be an all-year bench player though, one that you know will be your emergency coming into be your D7 for whichever of your keepers happens to have a bye in any given round.

18. Ugottabjokin

Ugottabjokin New Member

I would like peoples thoughts on 2 players.

Easton Wood for the Doggies - Seems to have one of the back pocket positions but not 100% sold on him yet. However is realtively cheap and should play all 22. $255,700.

Brendon Whitecross Hawks - Looks to have moved position from back line to forward line. Clarko seems to have some real love for him and also won last years most improved player at the Hawks last year.$242,600.

Have been having trouble with the D5 spot and thought it would be a good POD position whilst saving some cash for elsewhere.

Spending more money in the forward line especially with Callinan and Mzungu going down with injuries.

19. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Wood is probably a bit too slight to be anything other than an outside player this year. I can't see him averaging more than 60-65, which is about a 50k rise on his start price. Some potential value, but not as much as can be seen elsewhere.

Not sold that he will last all 22 games either. He is going to be trialled in a back flanker position, but if he can't cut the mustard when Hargrave comes back he might feel the squeeze at the selection table.

20. b_frazer5

b_frazer5 New Member

Whats the best defender strategy? i Have 4 450k+ players and then grimes and 5 rookies