Position Focus - Defenders

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. dabombers

dabombers Active Member

Its amazing when you think you have a unique strategy that it gets discussed up here. I've also gone from having a backline loaded( 6 keepers at one point) down to 3 keepers, 1 mid-pricer and rookies.

It has allowed a more solid Fwd line 5 prems (Yet still the round 6 problems) and a very strong midfield to start as mid rookies are not as clear as they were pre pre-season.

I'm still not sure if any of the GC backline rookies are worth risking on, apart from K.Hunt (the money man), but with Duigan/Watson, Heppell/Hibbard, Lisle/Popoulo/Cheney, Otten/McKernan, Markovik and a few others putting their hands up as tasty treats its hard not to go with this strategy.

Also I like the idea of Bock in there but I'm looking at him for a very early upgrade as his injury record and first rnd bye seem like money down the drain entering the first round.

With forwards playing back, and backs playing midfield and rucks playing forward...
    Does anyone play their true position anymore...

2. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

The merit in that emerging strategy is hard to ignore, but I am having trouble working out twho to give the flick from the "cookie cutter".

Grimes and Broughton I like too much at the moment - the only one who hasn't shown much is Delids. However I don't want to jump off him the one year he finally becomes selectable as a backman.

Are others having the same dilemma?

3. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Deledio had a bruised heel and has only played 1.5 games so far in the NAB rounds. A slow start perhaps, but don't take too much into that.

In fact, the number of players who only played a half game in various NAB rounds will be large and makes any assessment of the SC stats a bit of a tough call. Here's hoping that tiime-on-ground is included in the stats!

4. JMac

JMac Member

Personally I don't think the midfield rookie situation is in as dire straits as everyone else seems to. There are still alot of really strong candidates in there, and alot that haven't been mentioned alot on here. Lots of sides will blood younger players through there this year I believe. Adelaide, Brisbane, Port anyone? The real reason why alot of peple are making that comment is because of the sheer volume of defense rookies this year who seem sure to play in comparison with previous years. This is due to good play in the NAB Cup/Challenge. But how often does that translate to good (and lots of) games in the season proper. All I'm saying is be wary of jumping off all the midfield rookies. Alot of value to be had, especially from second tier rookies that don't get talked about a whole lot.

5. tAdmin

tAdmin Guest

@Jason

No TOG for challenge matches.

6. FixEmUp

FixEmUp New Member

Ive got Goddard, Broughton, Enright, Grimes, Otten, Heppell, Toy with Poop, Hibberd and Duigan on my bench.

I had Gilbee at D3 but opted for Enright. Gilbs killed me last year.

7. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

@ FixEmUp

Whats your rationale for leaving Delids out?

8. FixEmUp

FixEmUp New Member

He's in my midfield.

9. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

10. Grunta

Grunta New Member

Geez Nick, your right about more questions than answers, good link. Made me at least think about Gibbs.
    I have heard very little about Sewell. Any one got anything?

11. FunkSoulBrother

FunkSoulBrother Member

Thanks for that Nick..that was a good read.

12. Morko78

Morko78 New Member

I'm thinking of going with Johncock over one of Gibbs or Lids, reckon alot of teams may overlook him and start with the 'cookie cutter' setup. Problem being is having Otten as well. RD16 multi-bye poses a problem also as I have Grimes and Lower is on the pine. More re-jigging required.

13. BennyC88

BennyC88 Member

@Nick

Thank you for the article, it was a good insight

14. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Morko...
    Surely R16 is not that big a deal
    Otten should have been upgraded and Lower cashed in.

R2 could be a stinger, but if you pick the right bench you should be OK, and be more than able to fight back through R4-5-6.

Nick...
    Don't pick Lids and Gibbs at your peril. Both 100 ppg defenders and they don't grow on trees.

15. I've noticed as the pre-season wore on that a lot of players being thrown around earlier aren't getting a mention round here any more, for example is the Duffman still a viable alternative to Broughton? The way I see it the better Broughton goes the more likely he is to cop the forward tag each game, which should open it up a bit more for Duffman to get off his leash. Any thoughts guys?

16. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly Lucas up until yesterday, when thoughts of a reshuffle crept in. And Gibbs is off the menu, he is a lock for me.

Vast depth of defensive rookies + lesser depth of mid rookies than pre-pre-season + value in underpriced mids had tempted to me to play around with the once fabled foolproof cookie cutter.

Is losing a 100ppg defender (if in fact he is), worth gaining Foley (+cash) who to some could become at least a 90ppg and make you money?

17. yumcha

yumcha Member

david astbury. any fans out there?

18. 11kgm

11kgm New Member

Looking to drop delids for everit or suban which one so i can get scott selwood in the midfield

19. Corks

Corks Member

@11kgm...really? Would understand it if you said you wanted Cooney in your mids, but SS? Surely Lids + Swallow is better than Suban + SS.

20. 11kgm

11kgm New Member

The problem is my defence is to loaded and there is no good midfielders in my team. So i need a mid pricer to replaece deliado and then i will have 300k to spend on another mid

21. 11kgm

11kgm New Member

The problem is my defence is to loaded and there is no good midfielders in my team. So i need a mid pricer to replaece deliado and then i will have 300k to spend on another mid