why no Cross?

Discussion in 'AFL' started by toast, Mar 20, 2011.

1. toast

toast New Member

Ok I'll be willing to admit I may well have missed something, but in all these RTM threads I am fail to see one man's name: Daniel Cross.

Is he injured?
    Too old at 27?
    Not considered elite?
    Overpriced?
    Or overlooked as he seems destined to remain?

2. boydshow

boydshow Guest

He'll do OK, but I'm expecting Boyd to be a lot more prolific this year. I've got Boyd in my side instead.

3. GeneralHodge

GeneralHodge New Member

I don't think it has anything to do with Cross. I think all would love to have him in their side. I just think it comes down to thinking other players at his price have more upside (Judd, Selwood, Montagna).

4. spud

spud New Member

I echo what both Girff and GH posted.

Also, with the doggies trio of Boyd, Cross and Cooney, they seem to take it in turns of having good weeks and bad weeks, which can make them a bit annoying from a scoring perspective.

Cooney is at a tempting price, and Boyd i feel has the potential to step it up again given his captaincy.

5. Heater

Heater New Member

I had Cross from the get go last season and was more than pleased with his scoring. He was virtually 1st pick for me. Can't see that changing this season...

6. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

I find it very hard to see Cross improving on his 2010 score. I find it very easy to see Pendlebury or Murphy improving on 2010.

If Ward steps up this year and breaks out, I would think he might take 10ppg from Cross in the process.

Cross might hold his 2010 formline, but I think there is more chance that he will slip a bit.

7. Locky

Locky New Member

On a similar note, ive noticed not a lot of backlines have Gilbee.

8. toast

toast New Member

I appreciate the constructive feedback. I just think that he has a bit of upside that other players only potentially have at the moment:

consistency

durability

PoD

Appreciate your views however and will consider them.

Cheers.

9. CJ22

CJ22 New Member

I've got Cross, had him last year as well. Big POD and really consistent in scoring. He's that set and forget player that you just don't have to worry about for mine. The only reason I wouldn't get him is if you had Boyd instead because you were looking for a cheaper option.

10. FixEmUp

FixEmUp New Member

<blockquote>Quote from Locky on March 20, 2011, 07:43
    On a similar note, ive noticed not a lot of backlines have Gilbee.</blockquote>

I had Gilbee last year and he burnt me pretty badly. Wasn't getting the consistently high scores he used to get. Could put it down to the development of Harbrow, but for mine he is quality so he may have just had a shit year.

11. eagles2011

eagles2011 New Member

I have Cross ATM but am mainly concernced that last year may have been a one off.
    What keeps him in my team is his most valuable asset that you forgot to list toast - his elite fitness. No one in the Doggies mids has an aerobic capacity as good as his, so he will either a)spend more TOG, or b) spend more time on the ball than other mids.

12. wal

wal New Member

I agree with eagles on Cross' fitness. A big part of the reason I have him in my side. If the sub rule does slow players down generally you would have to pick Cross as one of the players likely to benefit from this. His consistency & durability make him a good starting option as you're not likely to see big price swings. Someone like Montagna I would rather wait on as his price will be more volatile.

13. gogonz

gogonz New Member

I have him.

Here's why.

I needed a WB player.
    Consistency.
    Won't get tagged out.
    Plays every game.
    Is in his prime.
    Lowest scores last year were 70, 83, 87, 94.

Had Boyd last year but hard to see him going better.

Selwood I considered but Geelong will be a different team this year.

Pendles went out because I took Swan.

I'd very seriously consider Priddis in his place.

14. Mad_Mattigan

Mad_Mattigan Member

My take on Cross is that he's dead consistent as far as scoring goes, but that's a two way street. He won't drop below 80(ish), but at the same time he is unlikely to have the spikes of 150+ games... All the other guys in the middle last year: Montags, Judd, Ablett, Goddard etc had games where they stepped it up and tore the opposition apart, scoring well over 150, if not close to 200...

15. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

Cross- Mr Consistency - one of the first picked in my team and definitely the first picked in my mids (perhaps after Pendlebury)

Set and forget.

16. itsinmydna

itsinmydna New Member

I've had Cross from day 1, he is very consistant.
    Boyd is more of a DTer

17. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Issue with Cross is it's important to have a look at R4

You lose already Goddard and Riewoldt, how many more do you want to have missing?

If you are only about leagues fair enough.

If you want overall, I reckon Dogs are the ones you could target for first upgrade (R7 or so), and Saints for later ones R14 etc.

18. Locky

Locky New Member

Goddard and Reiwoldt won't be in people's midfields and won't be stealing any of the 3 midfield bench players, so cover for 1 bulldog midfielder shouldn't be a problem. It will be no different to having to cover a midfield bye any other week.

19. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Cross is Mr Consistent, like a better scoring Kane Cornes. However, as mentioned, you want to pick players who you think will improve on their average, not just keep it.

However in saying that, Cross could be a great POD churning out the 100s all year.

20. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Locky, I think Lucas is more referring to losing 3+ premium scorers in one round, more so than covering them with rookies.