How does a good GMR work?

Discussion in 'AFL' started by b_frazer5, Mar 20, 2011.

1. b_frazer5

b_frazer5 New Member

Just think the mid rangers are very tempting this year so how would you set up each position line? how many premiums, mids and rookies in each line?

2. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

The mid-pricers are always tempting every year - but very rarely jump into premium territory. The vast majority stay in that awkardly-priced mid-range area.

3. b_frazer5

b_frazer5 New Member

I reckon theres about 4-5 ready to jump into premium

4. eagles2011

eagles2011 New Member

I've gone for 3 mids-pricers only, Krak, Petrie and Knights. Just chopped out JPK and Yarran yesterday.
    Last year I had 8 midpricers and was top 500 round 1, but then they were all just too inconsistent and my ranking slid until they were traded out.

5. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

How does a good GMR work? Perhaps there is no such thing and many on here with a lot of combined experience under their belts will tell you that it won't work. However, life is a learning curve.

Step 1 is Krak, Petrie, etc. are not really mids - they are higher priced rookies, and generally take a spot in your team that would normally be filled by rookies.

The best way to achieve a good GMR is to look through the Magnificent Seven on the home page (including the possibles list) and put a few Foleys and Anthonys into your side. Then pray they churn out significantly higher averages than in previous seasons. Then decide if they are keepers or GAJ or Swan. Previous experience in canny trading highly recommended.

6. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

I am only going one true mid pricer (Yarran) as my big risk for the year. If it comes off it could give me the edge I need.
    I think you need to take the risk on one or two mid pricers than pure GNR to win it.

7. Not sure how a good GMR should work, but the structure I'm running with for it will be:

5-1-4
    3-2-4
    2-1-1
    3-3-4

For the context of this article I'm disagreeing with Terry (sorry champ) and am considering Krak, Ottens, Petrie etc as mid-pricers. My reasoning being that this is the first year I can remember where rookies can cost $180,000 so I'm putting that down as the exception, not the rule.

My theory on GMR is that by having 7 mid-pricers and 13 rookies you can effectively pair 1 mid-pricer with 2 rookies and choose the best rookie + the mid to upgrade to a premium (assuming none of your mid-pricers or rookies become premium).

Say a premium will get 100ppg, a mid pricer 70ppg and a rookie 30ppg.

The standard GNR line-up will have 15 premium players, and 18 rookies, and should score around 2040 (not just players on the field).

By those number the GMR set-up will take a combined 2180. This theory, and related maths, are all very much a gray area and therefore different outcomes can be created by simply changing the numbers around (averages are hard to guess) but should still give people a general idea of what GMR is aiming for. Certainly not conclusive. The main advantage I can see with GMR is the hope that the mid-pricers will increase in value at the same rate or greater than that of a rookie, which highlights how carefully the mid-pricers must be selected. A risky strategy but these days, there really aren't many that aren't.....

8. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Semantics BB, don't have any problem with how folks wish to group people based on price. However, I do note that if we rate Krak/Otto/Dish as mid-pricers, 95% of teams posted in the RMT no longer have GnR.

Also think 180 rooks may become the rule - we still have to go through GWS and what the SC gods determine has been accepted they are unlikely to go back on. By the time we get to 2013, high draft picks having a premium added will become the norm. Hopefully 24 trades will also remain.

9. Fair call Terry, I'm a good one for semantics (is Krakouer underpriced or overvalued?). I'm also a bit hesitant to call an AFL player a rookie based on price.
    Good point re the rookies though, I wonder if down the line they'll start pricing in VFL etc form too? Definetely agree with you on the trades though, not sure if I would go with a few of the players I have if it was still 20

10. Migs

Migs New Member

Krakouer is the ideal top up player. Coming into a strong team where he won't get tagged very heavily is gonna be great for him. As far as Dream Team goes, he’s also got the flexibility to play in the midfield or forward line which is handy.

11. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

The more important thing is you have guns than if you have mids or rookies.

The key is the non keepers in your side need to be able to improve 30 ppg lets face it. Then sell and move on.

The worst thing is to select possible guns who fall into midrange. Ouch.

The next worse thing is to select a midrange thinking they will be a keeper and keep them until r20 before thinking, 'hey they will never be a keeper'

And in case you were wondering, I wrote a post on the 7 players who I think will come into premium, and another on those who will be back and those who will be departing.

Find all the links from here
    http://tooserious.net/the-magnifice...o-100ppg-in-afl-supercoach-for-the-first-time