Position Focus - Defenders

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Carloscity

Carloscity New Member

On the subject of POD

Cheney over Otten in the backline this year?? Youth over Injury?? Which one would you see making more money for your side... after this question is solved I finally have a 2011 SUPERCOACH SQUAD I can appreciate!!

2. ThommoDees

ThommoDees New Member

Is anyone considering Brodie Smith as a rookie defender? What's his job security like? Similar scores to Otten, but 60k cheaper?

3. spud

spud New Member

Tough question, Carlo.

I'm trying to tweak my side at the moment to squeeze both in, possibly at the expense of Heppell. My one concern with Cheney is that he will have a number of players pushing for his position, so could well end up an 'on again off again' player whereby he plays 2-3 games, then misses 4-5 while Clarko tries to figure out which of Cheney/Puopolo/Ladson/potentially other deserves the spot.

Otten showed that he has talent in 09, and looking at his scores, if you adjust for the 'nab factor' he actually scored 79,62 and 75. Not bad for a bloke who should only get better with each game, injuries permitting.

Thommo,
    Smiths scores look decent and from purely a 'dollars per points' point of, represents better value than Otten. That said, we know Otten is a good player and unless injured, should play most of the season for the Crows. He is also likely to put more points on the board each week such that he can start on your field, whereas I'm not sure the same applies to Smith (more a bench option I would have thought).

I just hope the crows don't use Otten as the sub :s

4. Carloscity

Carloscity New Member

Cheers for the response Spud.. Any other players that provide a cheaper POD replacing Otten?? All help on this matter most welcome!!

5. Stew

Stew New Member

Cheney's success will totally depend on Hawthorn's start to the season. At Melbourne he seemed to be one of those scrapegoat players, that got the chop after a poor team performance. He reminds me a little too much of Beau Muston with his high scoring potential and selection vulnerability.
    I'd say pick him if you think the Hawks will start well (he should play round 1).

For reference Hawthorn's start is;
    Adelaide (aami)
    Melbourne (mcg)
    Richmond (mcg)
    WC (tasmania)
    Geelong (mcg)
    bye
    Port (aami)

not too bad really......
    (I've had him in my team twice... but is currently out)

6. ThommoDees

ThommoDees New Member

Thanks spud. Job security with Smith was my biggest concern. Otten is definately less risk. I think Phil Davis may be more likely to be a sub with his ability to play fwd or back.

7. Migs

Migs New Member

I heard Davis will be expected to hold down a key defenisive posistion now that Bock has gone. Are key defenders worth getting though? Wouldn't you be better off getting a running defender or defender/midfielder?

8. Mattoc

Mattoc New Member

Just a quick query,

any word on Tom Murphy from the Hawks? Cant find much info on his preseason and considering him for my back line. its between Rob Murphy, Pearce Hanley and Tom Murphy.

Cheers

9. Tigerman

Tigerman New Member

And now Neil Craig tells us that Otten is potentially the sub: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/109752/default.aspx

Any Crows fans think this is a likely scenario week in week out?

10. Cirillo

Cirillo New Member

Hi guys. I currently have Mackie in my back line but is i oust him i will have around $410,000 in the bank. Is there a clear cut player for around that mark (or cheaper) that I should be looking at?

11. ThommoDees

ThommoDees New Member

Bugger! Ottens as a sub? Can't take the risk on him now... Who to take instead? Any Roo supporters out there think Robbie Tarrant can have an impact this year? Will have to take either him or Cheney now...

12. FixEmUp

FixEmUp New Member

So I too am thinking of giving Otto the old heave ho. But for who?

Having a look at the moment and there are some good options available. Trading out Ottens, coupled with my left over cash, gives me 263,700 to work with. Names that I am considering are....

Jackson Trengove
    Easton Wood
    Kyle Cheney
    Brodie Smith
    Shaun McKernan
    Lukas Markovic

The last two or three options would be seen as selections that would enable more money in my bank and a chance to upgrade elsewhere.

Thoughts?

13. ThommoDees

ThommoDees New Member

I'm also considering the last 4 on your list, plus R Tarrant.

14. Corks

Corks Member

Who the hell do these AFL coaches think they are? Surely the AFL needs to step in and enforce a rule where only players that are in less than say 2% of SC teams can be nominated as subs.

If Craig has his way he will ruin a whole lot of supercoaches very quickly.

Then again, maybe he is in his own SC league and is trying to get everyone off Otten in the hope it will give him an advantage. Hmmm, cunning Adelaide person. Unheard of.

15. Steve

Steve Moderator Staff Member

IMO Otten will not be a sub for the Crows. He is a vital part of their defence plus he can be thrown in the midfield as well. I don't know what Craig was smoking when he said that Otten is a sub possibility? Not many Crow supporters were happy when they heard that. I think someone like Stevens or even Moran when he comes back will be the sub for the Crows. I would not be removing Otten from my team.

16. broge

broge New Member

shhhh, let them trade him

17. Mad_Mattigan

Mad_Mattigan Member

Ottens only needs 38 points to maintain his average... He might start as the sub but after a few rounds and the confidence in his body comes back, so will his TOG. Craig was pretty clear when he said the sub for Adelaide would be changing...

18. ALLSTAR22

ALLSTAR22 New Member

I will take the punt and stay with Otten.
    If after 3 or 4 rounds he value has dropped then will
    look replace with R Tarrant pending TOG ...

19. Chappy

Chappy New Member

Grundy or Gilbert (or even Hurley)??
    Looking for a Defender to link up with my Forward line.

20. FixEmUp

FixEmUp New Member