Popular Picks - Supercoach GOLD

Discussion in 'AFL' started by jibba, Mar 22, 2011.

1. jibba

jibba Member

Not sure if I'm allowed to do this but I activated the trial to Supercoach Gold and found this very interesting article. According to the Supercoach GOLD admin, he can already see who are the most popular picks in the pre-season.

I copied it here from Supercoach Gold (again please take it down if i'm breaking any rules)

---------------------------------------------
    Mr Popular
    12 hours ago by Adam Child

I’ve been having a good play with the SuperCoach GOLD features and I am really loving the Analyser this preseason. I always like to predict which players will be the most popular in starting squads, but with Coaches Choice, we can see exactly who is being picked. We’ve all studied the players over the preseason; looked at who might be good value, who’s in for a big year and scoured the preseason stats to find a ‘diamond in the rough’.

DEFENDERS

It’s probably no surprise that Brendon Goddard is the most popular player. The DEF/MID averaged the most SuperCoach points in 2010 and is a captain option every week for you. I am (and everyone else) on him! The hype out of Windy Hill comes next in Dyson Heppell. Like Goddard, he is a Dual Position Player (DPP) as a DEF/MID. He will provide a perfect link for you between your defenders and your midfielders. My tip is to have Goddard in your backline and Heppell in the middle. It seems the value in Andy Otten hasn’t slipped through many coaches. He is the third most selected defender. Rounding out the top five is Bryce Gibbs and Brett Deledio. These two have in the past been solely named as midfielders, but this season they are both DEF/MIDs. This is probably the main reason behind their popularity. Both have the potential to average over 100 SC points and have the added flexibility of swapping with other DEF/MIDs.

Rounding out the top 10 is mature age Carlton recruit Nicholas Duigan, Melbourne stat machine Jack Grimes, Essendon DEF/MID Michael Hibberd and teammate Michael Hurley and finally NRL convert, Karmichael Hunt. I am a little surprised by the high selection of Brian Lake. While he is a SuperCoach star, he has had a very limited preseason and isn’t a certainty for Round 1. One of the golden rules of SuperCoach is not picking players who are underdone. Josh Toy, Paul Puopolo, Shaun McKernan and Nick Lower are popular players who are likely to play round one and make you some money.

MIDFIELDERS

The two most popular midfielders (excluding the aforementioned Goddard), are cheap picks.Andrew Krakouer‘s press over the preseason has made him the most selected. He smashed the NAB Cup and should be locked into the best 22 for the Magpies. Also, Krakouer is a MID/FWD, meaning he can be subbed into the forward line with another DPP. The number one draft pick, David Swallow, is the next most selected player. He is a ready made footballer and while he may not be ready to be a SuperCoach gun, at $188,600 he will be a valuable pick. Ball magnet Dane Swan is next followed by SuperCoach star Chris Judd. Both will be solid premium picks and you know what you’re getting from them. Being the expert SuperCoach that I am, people often ask me to give them one guy they must have in their teams. That man is Daniel Harris. The ex-Kangaroos player will play all season in the midfield and be one of the key guys in the Gold Coast midfield. $125,700 isn’t much to pay for someone who is likely to be a keeper in your side.

Not surprisingly, Joel Selwood and Scott Pendleburyare very popular selections this season. They will continue to improve and become ultimate SuperCoach guns. While Gary Ablettwas the most popular player last season, the coaches have jumped off him in 2011. Ranked the 18th most popular midfielder, whether it is his move to the Suns meaning he won’t score as highly or the early byes he faces as the season for deserting Gazza, he hasn’t been this low on any chart in his life. Maybe a lot of coaches listened to my advice and are looking at getting him into their sides in Round 10. Popular bench options seem to be MID/FWD players in Tendai Mzungu, Isaac Smith and Dion Prestia. If you missed the news, Mzungu is likely to miss the first 8 weeks of the season and therefore shouldn’t start in your team. Use him as a downgrade later in the season when he gets back into it.

RUCKS

The most dominant ruckman in the competition is also the most selected ruck in SuperCoach. Aaron Sandilands will continue to score well thanks to his 211cm frame and it seems that a lot of coaches think the same. Interestingly, Drew Petrie is at number two. He is very under priced at $216,000 and can be selected as a ruck or a forward. My only issue with him is that he is suspended round one and has a bye in round three. Despite Gold Coast rookie Zac Smith not playing a game in the preseason, he is a very popular bench option. His numbers were fantastic in the VFL last season and will work in tandem with 5th most popular ruck, Josh Fraser. If you’re picking either (or both), remember they have a bye in the first week. Dean Cox, the fourth most popular ruckman, is in my team after a great preseason and an average year in 2010, making him under priced.

Cheap players selected for benches are Robert Campbell, Max Bailey, Joel Tippett and Tom Derickx. Bailey is probably the best bet out of these guys who all have limited chance of playing in Round 1. Ranked at 25 is Lachlan Keeffe. I bet he will be a much more popular selection when we see him named to play in the first week.

FORWARDS

In the forward line, after the popular MID/FWD pick in Krakouer, is Nick Riewoldt. After dropping his average slightly due to his hamstring injury last season, he is some value as one of the forwards capable of averaging over 110. Lance Franklin is next as coaches are jumping on board hoping to continue his scoring from last season, and his massive 2008 campaign. With David Hale now in the side, Buddy is likely to play up the ground and hopefully rack up a few more disposals. SuperCoach staple for the last few years, Matthew Pavlich, is once again a popular choice. He is a very valuable player to the Dockers and can be for your SuperCoach team with his MID/FWD availability. Gold Coast’s Brandon Matera is the most popular bench option. He may be slight, but his preseason numbers were impressive and he should play most games this season. At the very least, the first few an then you’ll be right to sell him off to make some money!

Paul Chapman was the best forward in SC last season and is the most expensive player, yet this year his stock looks like they have dropped. He has battled an interrupted preseason with a groin injury and didn’t play a game in the NAB series. Cameron Richardson and Jack Darling are players likely to be on a lot of benches in SuperCoach this season.

----------------------------------------------

2. Migs

Migs New Member

Thanks for the info.

3. Malteaser

Malteaser Member

Still need 4 more players for the TSerious gold league 592476.

4. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

"Being the expert SuperCoach that I am"

Bit up himself. Sounds as though SC Gold is a bunch of pretend elitists who think they are better than everyone else at the game, but really anyone who does the smallest bit of research would know about most of the names mentioned.

Having said this, he fails to realise that just because a recruit is mature age, or hella cheap, doesn't mean they will play. Or if they play round one, doesn't mean they will play after that.

Got nothing on our community here, where the size of our heads are kept in check, and everyone is equal, regardless of the number of posts, or the SC ranking from previous years.

5. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, but we had all that nutted out on here weeks ago. Just shows how powerful this place is.

6. Tigerman

Tigerman New Member

I am imagining 1,000s of fresh faced supercoaches looking shocked and horrified that everyone has already picked their "secret gun".

7. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again - SC Gold is not worth the money you pay.

Instead, donate the money you'd spend on a subscription to Walesy here at TS and then enjoy the knowledge of the best fantasy footy community in the country.

8. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Good read, thanks for posting - but as others have said - nothing here that I didn't already know.

9. deasend

deasend New Member

Ruddy, I think you'll find Adam Child is Warney from DT Talk and that comment is said tounge-in-cheek.