Yarran/Davis

Discussion in 'AFL' started by TerryinBangkok, Mar 21, 2011.

1. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Yarran [300,800]
    Davis [337,100]
    Both listed as FWD, both playing DEF.

Been through the RMTs and these two names almost fail to appear, especially Davis. Word from both camps is they have been reinvented and rejuvinated playing in the back half. The great Chad Cornes experiment is repeated. So why aren't supercoaches buying it?

Yarran looks like more of a permanent fixture, while Neon might be treading water until Silver Hammer returns (which might be longer than we are currently led to believe). Some of the gurus on here (well, one anyway) has some nice things to say about Neon.

Is it possible they are being considered as DEF when they should be rated alongside FWD choices such as Knights, Duncan, Rohan, etc.?

Could Neon be a super unique POD?

Anyone consider this pair and why did you decide to pass?

2. fryzie

fryzie New Member

Too many question marks for my liking, but if I was going to go with one of them it'd be Yarran, Davis is getting old now and has far too much competition to keep his spot if he puts up a few bad performances in a row.

Yarran has the potential to improve but I will personally be giving both of them a wide berth.

3. crew

crew New Member

With Fryzie on Davis.....I;m a gambler so Yarran is tempting whilst Davis is a spud imo.

4. Drifter74

Drifter74 New Member

Yarran has better JS, but is a risk as his scoring potential solely remains on staying in the HB role.

On the plus side, with Betts and Garlett taking the small forward roles you'd think he wouldn't spend a lot of time deep forward.

On the negative if he does to well you'd think clubs will move to shut him down with a forward tag. Dont think to many would have bothered during the NAB challenge. Of course you'd hope by then he'd risen in price enough for a nice sideways swipe.

Blues backline is also pretty full in the small backs department with Russell, Armfield, Duigan, Scotland and Laidler all simiar types. Armfield as a tagger/run with and Russell might push more into the midfield perhaps so its still a ? as to how they'll line up.

5. itsinmydna

itsinmydna New Member

Im going with Yarran as l think that he will ave an extra 15-20 ppg and with the doubt about a number of Fwd prems will be a solid investment to upgrade to a premium instead of the risk of guys coming back from injuries IMO

6. bjaensch

bjaensch New Member

I went with Yarran as it almost looks like the Blues plan on using him in a quarterback/designated kicker role. If this does turn out to be true, he could be a nice little earner.

my 2 cents...

7. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure I saw bjaensch put in 2 cents on another thread - that's got to be 4 cents surely?

One intriguing question on Yarran will be the amount of game time and role for Bower. Last year he cracked 2 huge scores and then was injured before he could moo on the 3rd. When he eventually came back his scores were fairly ordinary. Does seem that Carlton rate him in their best 22 and White stuck his hand up a couple of times as well. Perhaps Thursday night will tell.

8. Corks

Corks Member

If I was doing a mid-price strategy, Yarran would be one of my first chosen. Will play all year roaming back and up forward, and uunlikely to be thrown around given Blues lack of class small defenders, and profusion of class small forwards. Davis will stay there while he is going well, but if his form drops, he will be moved or dropped.

9. Corks

Corks Member

Bower will have to play tall, at least first 2 weeks with Jamison out, and maybe longer. That will limit his scores I think.

10. Yarran's a star in the making. Last couple of years he's really bought his game up and I honestly thought he looked the more talented between him and Garlett, physically more mature and a better mover with the ball. Yarran and Dawes are my two tips for big improvers this year, but Davis I've never been too keen on

11. tAdmin

tAdmin Guest

@Corks

Bower's injured mate. Where you been?

12. Corks

Corks Member

Hornsy - where did you get that news from? Can't find it anywhere...but I have been living under a rock for the last week so possible I missed it.

13. tAdmin

tAdmin Guest

@Corks

From TC. Knee. Could be 2-3, could be 6.

14. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

For mine, Yarran represents more value than Davis.

As regards risk, I think Yarran will be given a bit more time to settle into the role than Davis.

That said, Davis has put two solid SC years on the board and Yarran is selected all on potential.

One could say that Davis' role last year in the team cruelled his own chance to make an impact. It was that defensive forward Medhurst style role that made Beams look average on occasion.

Given a different role, I think Davis is certainly worth a look, but I don't think he's nearly as good value as Knights or Krakouer, and there's the rub.

I also think Yarran doesn't measure up there either but his is a more close run thing.

GNR is the reason I'm avoiding Yarran, but pretty much the only one.

15. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Wouldn't touch Neon, but I am selecting Yarran this year and its where I'm taking my risks. Personally I think a few of these "potentials" need to be chosen to give this comp a fair crack, and all the evidence points to Yarran for me. Could blow up in my face - but that's half the fun!

16. Migs

Migs New Member

I have both in my forward line.

17. FixEmUp

FixEmUp New Member

Picking Yarran in your side as a risk player could make a huge difference in your fortunes this year, particularly if you are going for an overall victory.

While I am going for a league win, I have him and truly believe he will make a difference this year.

18. Drifter74

Drifter74 New Member

Paul Roos, On the Couch tonight talked about these guys and how NAB varies to main season due to letting these guys roam around doing what they like which was touched on earlier in the thread.

For those that missed it, his point was "how will they defend" when you can guarentee that if they become to damaging at H/B opposition coaches will make sure they are dragged back to the goalsquare.

I can see the attraction to Yarran though. FWIW, many observers have been impressed with not just Yarrans sublime use ths year - which there was never any question on - but the fact he ran himself into the ground with his defensive work.

He's a risk, but lets face it there's been worries around here on Goddards preseason, Roo's kicking, Lids preseason, Gibbs preseason, Swallows scoring in the 50's, etc etc so we could talk ourselves out of anybody.

19. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Exactly Drifter, there are risks on pretty much everyone.
    And taking those risks is how you win and the whole fun.
    And mentioned many times, its all about what your risk profile looks like.

20. Migs

Migs New Member

After my most recent line up reshuffle Yarran is out and Davis stays. Don't forget Yarran has a history of getting injured.