Position Focus - Rucks

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Buzzboys

Buzzboys Member

Walesy. Petrie's potential form and suspension coupled with Smith's uncertainty has caused major headaches in my team. I have had Petrie out, in the ruck and in the forwards (with J Tipp). Have come to the conclusion that if you go with Petrie, then spend the extra 20K, wipe out R4 and benefit by having him available in both positions. If Smith is able to sub in rounds 5 & 6, then Petrie can cover for Franklin/Pav/Riolo/Chappy. If not, at least you have ruck coverage and hopefully rookie coverage in the forwards.

2. dazza71

dazza71 New Member

What about J Fraser, has great JS and is only $237,300. At the moment im sitting with cox/sandi but am thinking of fraser for my R2. Use the extra cash to strengthen my back line.

3. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Has been a method experimented with by many here dazza, but almost all seem to have gravitated back to Sex on the Beach or Lady Gaga. They really seem like the way to go this year.

Personally I wouldnt touch Fraser. Too old and won't average well IMO.

4. youngross

youngross New Member

any thing on joel tippett and Derickx will they play ?

5. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Joel Tippett will not play early, if at all. Z Smith and Gorringe are ahead of him.

At Tigerland, it seems Graham and TV are well ahead of the X-man as it stands.

6. Migs

Migs New Member

Kurt Tippett has been ruled out for this week's season opener.

7. WindyHillWizard

WindyHillWizard New Member

Will anyone be tempted to play Petrie as R2 if Keefe from the Pies is named for round 1?

Removes a donut and more than likely either Smith or Keefe will be named in Rd 3 to cover the bye for Petrie.

This has me thinking.....is this the R2 mid-price strategy we have all been looking for.

8. Tylo

Tylo Moderator

I'll definitely be starting Fraser. Has always scored well as #1 ruck and is the same age as Cox and Jolly. For mine too much value to pass up.

9. Migs

Migs New Member

I see Gardiner is out for 8 weeks and Kosi is expected to miss 2-3 weeks. Does this make McEvoy worth getting as the second ruckman in Dream Team? He's 243 grand.

10. spud

spud New Member

<blockquote>Quote from WindyHillWizard on March 21, 2011, 19:45
    Will anyone be tempted to play Petrie as R2 if Keefe from the Pies is named for round 1?

Removes a donut and more than likely either Smith or Keefe will be named in Rd 3 to cover the bye for Petrie.

This has me thinking.....is this the R2 mid-price strategy we have all been looking for. </blockquote>

Can probably rule out Keeffe unfortunately, WHW.

<blockquote>COLLINGWOOD could have four changes to last year's premiership side as the club attempts to squeeze ex-Melbourne defender Simon Buckley into its Round 1 line-up.

The Pies have three automatic inclusions from outside the premiership team, with Chris Tarrant, Leon Davis and Andrew Krakouer all certain to play.</blockquote>

<blockquote>Despite an exceptional NAB Cup campaign tall defender Lachlan Keeffe is considered unlikely to force his way into the side.</blockquote>

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ollingwood-debut/story-e6frf9jf-1226026335870

11. Migs

Migs New Member

Ben Reid's ankle still hasn't been given the all clear. If he doesn't come up Keefe will play. Buckley is an interesting one. I got Dream Team Gold (?) for the trial period and they predicted his value would go up more than any other player in the comp. At the time I scoffed because he's not in our best 22. But with Maxwell out he has to be in the mix. I don't know about SC but in DT Buckley is a dual postion player who can go in the midfield and defense. So at this stage I reckon he might be worth the 97 grand, even more so if he can get into the team and hold his spot.

12. Corks

Corks Member

If Keefe gets in this week, will it be just a week or 2 thing anyway until Maxwell and Reid are back? Sounds like it from all reports.

R3/4 continues to be a problem. Almost best case is for someone like Keefe to become a good "sub" option as he can play forward, back or ruck. Of course, with less than half a game each week he could probably only be expected to score 20-30.

Any further word on Smith?

13. Grunta

Grunta New Member

Whats the the go with Mitch Clark. No one seems to mention him these days even though this time last year he was around the 500k mark. Is there any love for him, he seemed to have a pretty good NAB Cup. I might team him up with Coxy and save a couple of hundred geeez.

14. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

@Grunta
    J Brown missed the NAB cup, so i presume Clark was the main target up forward. Once Brown is back, Clark will probably be back to his spuddy self

15. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

McCauley + cash it looks like being then. Hopefully gets on the park at some stage.

Jury still out on Simon Buckley? Surely he won't last long when the stars return.

16. Grunta

Grunta New Member

Cheers Ruddy. Suppose I'tll have to be Coxy & Sandy then.

17. Grunta

Grunta New Member

Any thoughts on Gorringe as R3. He looks a bit safer than J.Tip at the mo, though is more expensive.

18. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

@Grunta
    You're comparing job security between two guys who are both unlikely to get a game. McKenna has gone on record a few times to say that Fraser and Zac Smith will do most of the ruckwork this year. Gorringe and J.Tippett would likley only come into calculations if the other guys get injured.

19. FixEmUp

FixEmUp New Member

Am I doing the wrong thing by going into the season with my starting two rucks as Cox and Ryder?

Feel as though Sandi SHOULD be there but I can't get him in without disrupting the balance of the rest of my team. Only way I could see coming would be downgrading Pav to someone for the extra cash, but sorting out my forward line was a nightmare to begin with.

Thoughts?

20. graeme

graeme Guest

@Grunta and @Jason,
    I think J Tippett is good value. Sure, he is unlikely to play. But he allows you the luxury of moving a better MPP ruck/forward such as Petrie around as R3 or F6 - seems a good startegy.

Any flaws?

regards
    chels