Round 1 Rookies

Discussion in 'AFL' started by kalikoda, Mar 2, 2011.

1. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

Steps- Darling all the way for mine.

2. Heater

Heater New Member

@Steps - Mate, I have Darling & Tapscott though I'm a tad concerned you beleive he won't play early. Darling has been a lock from day 1 for me but Tapscott's recent practise match form has seen him slot into my side. As prevously stated I guess we'll have to wait until squads are announced, etc.

3. ThommoDees

ThommoDees New Member

@Steps

I would take Darling ahead of Tapscott, but I won't be surprised if Tappy is playing R1. They have big wraps on him down in Dee land. :)

4. Corks

Corks Member

An umpire friend was at a recent Melbourne game (officiating) and reckoned that Strauss looked like the best thing of the young Melbourne players. Know he has been overlooked elsewhere, but worth noting.

5. jimbowan

jimbowan Well-Known Member

Strauss has been on my radar for a while, bit no one seems to have very big wraps on him? He would offer a nice POD if he was going to play early games this year.

6. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the info Corks.
    Not sure if Strauss will be a good scorer. NAB form not great unless he was playing 50% TOG.

Lester is another who has slipped by unnoticed. Probably because the Lions defence is more settled than other areas of their team. Great reviews from all that I've seen and could present a nicer POD as he apparently has the experience of playing back, forward and midfield.

Struggling to fit all the defensive rookies in though.
    Otten looks still good to go.
    Lower and Duigan picking themselves at the moment.
    I think you'd have to go with at least two out of Stanley, Coad and Toy.

I'm thinking Coad v Batchelor for one slot. Angling towards Coad whose previous footy smarts are valuable for GC.

That said having 3 GC defenders is a risk no doubt about it.

Heppell should get games and plays for the Dons, but he is at that annoying expense zone, and he might get eased in from what I've seen. Nowhere near as ready for hard action (e.g. vs Bulldogs/Swans/Saints) as Hibberd.

Puopolo is in the mix at Hawthorn and Lester is the same at Brisbane.

All in all I think plenty of good defensive options.

Forwards on the other hand looks pretty similar across the board, and that's where a look at Tappy migth work.

7. Tanksforscully

Tanksforscully New Member

With Scully and Mckenzie out until at least round 6 it might help Tapscott's chances of getting some game time early on. Especially if Grimes pushes into the midfield.

8. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Lester was playing as a FWD during the NAB by reports in the forums around here, rather than as a DEF (as he is listed in SC). As such, his job security is probably independent of the Brissie backline's stability.

9. spud

spud New Member

Very true, Tank. I came on here to ask exactly where Tapscott would play? I know Supercoach have him listed as a forward, but players SC positions don't usually mean a whole lot.

Would Scully going out improve his chances? Or perhaps someone else?

Melbourne have their bye in round5, so one would think he probably wouldn't come back in until round 6 at the earliest. The danger with that is, whichever player gets a chance because Scully is out could well have to make way for him again. And with Melbourne having the round 5 bye, we may only get 2 price increases (after rounds 3 and 4). But hey, we might get more as well.

10. toast

toast New Member

Can anyone confirm if J. Irons from Port has been upgraded onto the senior list?

Cheers in advance!

Whose excited?

11. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Yep he's been elevated toast. Now he just needs to be selected!

So whats the verdict on:

Darling vs Tapscott

And I'm excited!

12. Tanksforscully

Tapscott will likely play in the backline and that's where he has spent most of the pre-season.

At present there aren't actually to many spots in the forward line for him given that Maric / Bennell / Wonna / Jetta are all vying for that smaller forward position and there are range of other forwards who are likely to get a call up before Tapscott - Green / Dunn / Pettard / Bate / Watts / Jurrah / resting ruckman etc... That being said form can change all that.

With Scully / Trengrove and Mckenzie all under an injury cloud can see Bail / Sylvia / Davey / Grimes all spending more time in midfield which would perhaps free up the floating HBF position for Tapscott.

Melbourne seem to be keen to play them there so he can utilise his kick to break zones / forward presses. Strauss is another players who is being groomed for this role but hasn't come on as quickly,

Spud, you make a valid point about him perhaps being squeezed out with the return of these players. The reality is that bringing the ball out of defence has been one of Melbourne's key deficiencies. If Tapscott can show some skill in this regard then think he will go a long way to securing a spot. Obviously R1 teamsheets will be a good indicator that he may get some games with these injuries.

13. Bob

Bob New Member

Here's my write-up on Brissy's rookies, FWIW. Covers much of the territory I've mentioned here previously, but some may find it helpful. Ordered by likelihood for a Rd 1 start (IMO):

Bewick: ~80% chance for Rd 1. A natural wingman, the lions didn't recruit an older player to bolster their reserves. Was in a moonboot early in the pre-season so had some catching up to do, but seemed to improve with every game. Expect him to play the Dalziell relief-valve role, with fewer clangers (though a long way off Drummond-esque hurt-factor)

Lester: Flagged by Voss as early as December as a real shot for a Rd 1 call-up, he has since seemingly done nothing to hurt his chances, presenting well as a third tall/mid-sized target in the forward line. Solidly built with sticky hands and a willingness for a contest, I can see why Voss likes him. His goal-kicking was a bit wayward, but I couldn't see a technique issue to speak of. Similar odds to Bewick for a Rd 1 start, but his ability to play across the ground may be a fantasy footy curse, meaning he's a very good chance to play as a sub (possibly to come on for an underdone Brown) and is more likely to play more games in the reserves throughout the year.

Beams: A very close call, but while Claye's shown a bit over pre-season, I suspect Voss' inclination to play some more mature bodies (such as Raines and Buchanan) will see him miss Rd 1, but there'll be a few who disagree with me there. If I'm right though, and he does miss, I think he'll be next cab off the rank for the midfield rotation, particularly given his flexible blend of inside/outside skills so it won't be long before he gets games. He's had a reasonable apprenticeship and shown consistent improvement in the two's, so I suspect once he's in he'll get more games than, say, Lester. He's the type of player IMO that needs to earn a regular spot in the seniors for Voss to gain a contract extension.

Polec: Showed in the televised games that he's a silky mover, but didn't get a lot of it. Was sent back to reserves to work on his defensive game. I've not heard reports on how that has been progressing, but he has been kicking goals consistently. He'll indubitably see senior action this year, but i'll be surprised to see him Rd 1 ahead of the three above.

O'Brien: While he's put on some bulk, he's still not ready for regular senior action this year IMO. May get a handful of games though.

Green: His grunt and ability to keep his feet has impressed the coaches and sees him in line for senior games this year - possibly coming in for Buchanan up forward whenever he next concusses himself. Reportedly needs to work on his disposal - so possibly more a DT downgrade target than SC.

Karnezis: Needs at least another pre-season.

14. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Superb write up Bob - thanks. Especially that Lester/sub knowledge, that's invaluable.

15. toast

toast New Member

@thanksforscully

mate you raise some really good points, but FWIW I'll give my take on Tapscott.

I reckon he'll play Round 1 and given Melbourne’s desire to pump games into guys of his vintage and their injuries, he'll be given a solid run of several games.

Melbourne has stated it's obvious need to clear the ball from the backline and with Tapscott's ability to kick long distances accurately, he'll be their man. Add to this the fact that kicks of this quality are worth 7 Points this season, he may well score well and quickly and therefore moo before his is potentially (but in my opinion, unlikely) dropped.

Just my two bobs worth. Good luck!

16. broge

broge New Member

ok if irons and atley are both selected round 1 who would you get?

17. broge

broge New Member

ok if irons and atley are both selected round 1 who would you get?

18. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Depends on your cash situation broge.

If you've got cash spare you'd think Atley has better JS, but due to Iron's lower price, he'll need a lesser average to make you money.

FWIW I've got Iron (selection pending)

19. Tanksforscully

Struggling to fill the final spot for my defensive rookies. So far have Otten, Duigan and Lower starting with Toy and Stanley on the bench.

Heppell has been sitting in the last spot for some time but considering downgrading him to Batchelor and upgrading a mid rookie to Conca.

Thoughts on Batchelor JS and whether this is a wise option. Concern is that going with three starting rookies really need bench players who will provide adequate cover and I am not convinced Batchelor is this guy - any other options?

Also lose MPP with the mids but that is probably a secondary concern.

Thanks

20. russkoit

russkoit New Member

@broge i like atley i think he will get good game time