Ruck 3 and Ruck 4

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Fez, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Fez

Fez Moderator

What have people done, there is no obvious bargain basement rookies that are playing, Zac Smith is likely but won't know until next week, while Bellchambers 179k and Spencer 128k(extended bench) are both in this week are the cheapest options.

Atm i have Keefe as R4 but can upgrade to Spencer if i really want to, what are peoples thoughts??

2. stringbean988

stringbean988 New Member

mate i am in the same boat...

i got zac smith, but reading the news etc, he hasnt played much this pre season... bellchambers could work... but with hille and ryder all in the one side... not sure about at. Spencer could be a chance... i have max bailey.... but not i dont think we will line up this week...

its differently a hard one...

3. ThommoDees

ThommoDees New Member

FWIW I went with Pencil (Spencer). I think he will get plenty of games this year and is insurance for in case Smith doesn't play. Don't rely on him as your R3 though, cause he wont score very high. Consider him a back up to your back up. :)

4. JoshyC

JoshyC Well-Known Member

i need to know too fezcat...i have smith (gcs) and redden (pta) as i thought redden's pre season looked good and that primus would play him, does not look the case anymore. Keefe rates highly but again, i cant see him being the first fwd slotting into collingwoods list if there stocks dont fire. Cordy is another but not named yet, and Bailey could get a game if his knee doesn't fall off his leg. i really dont want to spend more than $110K on R4 - especially if they are not going to play - will go to a $92K if they are not going to get game time, which might burn me if Smith is third in line at GCS.

5. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

There is no good R4 this year - we will just have to pick who we think may get picked in the future.

I've gone with McCauley. Doesn't seem a better or worse chance of playing than any other option (ie needs an injury to get into the team) other than maybe Spencer.
    Its a shame Redden didn't get up.

6. Fez

Fez Moderator

Joshy i'm thinking my R4 will be Spenc and he will back up my back in Z.Smith. Rucks is an area that killed me last year trying to cover 0's don't want same mistake this year.

With Keefe if he was going to play it would have been round 1 with No Maxwell and although Ried was picked don't think he would have made it if he came up short.

7. jimbowan

jimbowan Well-Known Member

Same boat, R4 is always so frustrating every year! Last year went with a cheap $ dud at R4 and it didnt affect me in the slightest. But with the byes and now the slight uncertainty over Smith's actual game time I think its going to hurt if you dont have an R4 at all.

For me I am tossing up between;

Bailey (not even named an emg, dud knee)

Moran (named EMG, but possibly has Mckernan ahead of him)

Spencer (+20k more, heard nothing about him,any JS?)

Keefe (named emg, will they use him though or ruck Brown as a change up?)

I am slightly leaning towards Moran or Keefe. But need some opinions to lock one in.

8. chewy

chewy New Member

i,m going with moran he,s a chance to play games with the new sub rule plus if he does play he,ll score ok,better than spencer etc.

9. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

If Bailey can ever get his body right, he is probably closest to getting a game out of any of the potential R4s for mine. Trouble is that he hasn't been right for such a long time.
    Really, it comes down to injuries at their club for any of these guys to be close enough and at the moment most clubs have a pretty good stock of talls who are in front of these potential R4s.

10. Corks

Corks Member

Taking the gamble on Keefe at R4. Hoping lots of injuries to Magpie talls, for more reasons than one. I'm hoping R4 is just dead money this year, and Smith is a real person and actually plays, not just a figment of our imagination.

11. toast

toast New Member

Spencer (named on the extended bench) I think will get some game time this year. However I might suggest he will be used as a sub. If Jamar encounters any injury however he will be the Dees number 1 Ruck.

12. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

I'm actually tossing around the thought of throwing Trengove (PA) in at R3 and then either Smith or Keefe at R4 - have the $$$'s to go down this road (gone with a GMR strategy this season).
    Have got Sex-on-the-beach, and by taking this course of action I know I will get 60's to 80's from JT when I need him during byes (and God forbid, injuries) - just can't be confident going in with the cheap options coz I don't want to cop any duck eggs in my Rucks this season!!!
    Thoughts on this??????

13. Fez

Fez Moderator

Also another query, is it worth sometimes copping a 0 in the rucks when one of Eagles or Dockers have a bye and z.Smith is missing rather then burning trades to cover that 0 when they might only score a 30??

14. bgt2110

bgt2110 Moderator Staff Member

I would like to put Nathan Vardy from Geelong as a decent option for R4. I think Scott will be looking to blood a bit of youth this year and Vardy is a name that keeps cropping up as a likely game getter.

15. JoshyC

JoshyC Well-Known Member

you are spot on Jason regarding Bailey...

16. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

@Bearfly,

I originally had that combination, but decided how frustrated I would be watching Trengove rip it up while he is sitting on my bench. Moved him to DEF instead and opted for Vickery at R3 (considered against West and Stanley) and Derickx at R4. Am fairly confident Derickx is AFL ready and Cankles will want to get some game time into him. Was given a run in the 2nds last week as they wanted another look at him, meaning he was possibly under consideration.

It is nice to have the security of a guaranteed player at R3, but it is also cash on the bench. For me the strategy is fatten him up and looking at him ++ into Sandi later in the year. However, in making the decision, have a good look over your forward line to see if that cash could be better spent on the ground rather than tied up at R3, in which case I would go with Smith/Derickx.

17. JoshyC

JoshyC Well-Known Member

isn't he injured Terry?

18. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Who dat JoshyC?

19. Tigerman

Tigerman New Member

Saw this on Twitter: Samlandsberger - Derickx will miss Coburg's practice match on Saturday with a bruised heel. Aim is to play next week in roudn 1 of VFL.

20. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

With Tippett and Fraser in my side - i need my R4 to play round 1, so hoping Spencer gets into final side.