Round 1 Rookies

Discussion in 'AFL' started by kalikoda, Mar 2, 2011.

1. martyg

martyg Well-Known Member

Tapscott or Matera??? At least Tappy has been named..

2. ThommoDees

ThommoDees New Member

@Nick

I think you and me are the only ones keen on R Tarrant. I think his JS slightly higher than Heppell's, but that only IMO.

3. Fez

Fez Moderator

Tapscott or Darling??

thoughts?

4. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

@ ThommoDees

It seems that way. Only thing worries me is he is a CHB or FB and young, and KP players don't normally score well in that position.

Also looking at Brodie Smith (ade). Similar predicament - 2nd year cheapie defender, but is more of a midfield type.

@ Fez
    I've gone with Tapscott. Extra year in the system and named on the wing. I like. But its just a gut feeling, Darling could also do very well.

@martyg
    I'd stay with Matera.

5. Tanksforscully

Tanksforscully New Member

Anyone have any views on Pedersen and his JS?

Thinking of replacing Heppell on the bench with Pedersen leaving me with Otten / Duigan/ Lower / Toy / Stanley / Pedersen as my backline rookies.

Would free up some cash and I am not convinced that Heppell justifies the $150k price tag. With Hibberd rumoured to be out for some time struggling to find decent replacements.

Appreciate that Otten is a risk.

Are there any other options?

6. jathkel

jathkel New Member

@tanks
    When Grima returns he will push out either tarrant or pedersen. I have a fairly similar back last 6. Now preferring coad over otten. Allows me to get swallow.

7. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from Fez on March 25, 2011, 09:19
    Tapscott or Darling??

thoughts?</blockquote>I've got both.

8. ThommoDees

ThommoDees New Member

@jathkel

Have you seen much of B Smith? After your comments I'm now looking at trading R Tarrant for him. I don't expect huge scores out of him, but what do you think his JS will be like?

9. Corks

Corks Member

How about Markovic? Left field selection, but I thought he was OK during the NAB and has the MPP advantage if linked with McKernan. Any thoughts, or stick with Tapscott for JS?

10. Tanksforscully

Tanksforscully New Member

Thanks Jathkel - that's exactly what I wanted to hear. You considering having three GC defenders?

The other option is to replace Otten with Mckernan. May not be a high score but should be a slow burner.

Depending on how / where Otten plays in the first few rounds (Adelaide have a bye too) could perhaps bring him back in to replace McKernan / Heppell - although not ideal given the need to trade.

11. Furious

Furious New Member

Lads, I'm low on cash 105k and I need help choosing 3rd rookie on my mids bench and my choices are slim.

I've got swallow, harris, atley, heppell.

So i've got a choice between J. Irons, M. Hibberd or T.Liberatore

12. Corks

Corks Member

Irons for mine. Bit of a gamble, but for M9 you can take it and he could have some early games.

Still after advice on Markovic if anyone can advise? Doing my freakin head in this last position or 2 - and will probably end up swapping before R3 / R4 anyway to make some quick cash (Hello Curnow).

13. toast

toast New Member

Tasscott will clear the ball long from defence: 7 points per kick. Case closed.

One question.

Libatore and Job Security... ?

14. Corks

Corks Member

@toast...Liba will get games if he keeps playing well, but JS poor if form drops. He was brilliant from all reports in PS, in the best 3 or 4 mids for dogs, but they have so much depth he will go quicklyn if he doesn't fire. Of course, when Higgins gets injured again early in the year, a position will open up...

15. toast

toast New Member

Cheers Corks

16. jathkel

jathkel New Member

@Thommo
    Smith looks like a decent scorer, and has senior experience from the sanfl. However js is poor - he is currently keeping out symes and martin - my guess is they will return sooner rather than later.

17. ThommoDees

ThommoDees New Member

@jathkel

Thank you, that's very helpful. Perhaps Markovic is an option then?

What are peoples thoughts on Heppell v Otten v Markovic re JS?

I already have Duigan, Lower, Stanley, Batchelor and Lester, with &#36;223k to spend.

18. Locky

Locky New Member

Trying to decide between Libba, Atley & Savage.
    Need to pick 2 of them.

Libba - If he scores well he'll stay in their side. If not, hes out. Everything indicates he will score well. Named on the ball this week is a good sign the coach has confidence in him.

Atley - JS is probably good. Named on field. Should average 60-65.

Savage - Great pre-season. JS not certain. Named on bench, which means he may well be the sub this week when I need him on the field.

Any other thoughts?

19. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Otten highest security but a candidate for the sub.

Heppell and Markovic look to have early security but both have very decent players outside the 22 who will push for selection.

Lester looks to have a fair bit of competition as well.

Atley I dunno about him having good JS when you have players like Ziebell and Cunnington on an extended bench. Methinks Atley will have to play well or find himself a sub and then out.

20. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

@ Thommo

I'm in your boat too, but I can't afford Heppell or Otten now I've got Irons -> Atley.

I think Otten wins out on JS, but he may likely be named as a sub, as we know. Heppell should last if he keeps playing well, but may score not much more than say Markovic, who is significantly cheaper. Markovic we think is warming Lake's spot, but the Dogs have otehr backline injuries.

This last spot is killing me also.