Is Ed Curnow the next Barlow?

Discussion in 'AFL' started by ThommoDees, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

However, he'd have gone over the bubble.

Guess if we do sideways trade him it's going to have to be on faith.

Dagnabit GC

2. Fez

Fez Moderator

Curnow killed the last quarter and was part of the reason the blues came back as well as Judd so that helped his score.

With duigans 60 and Otten a chance to be a sub is it worth benching Otten for Toy so i get Duigans 60 on the field??

3. broge

broge New Member

Wats Curnow's JS like that'll be the main problem?

4. naj

naj New Member

whats the chance that we get him on the bubble and he cops an injury the next match. that would stick it right up us.

5. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

JS has got to be a huge concern- as does consistency (it's the rookie way!).

If he pumps out a big score next week, you'd have to consider purely as a cash grab- but if your other cows are moo-ing, there might be no need.

Plenty of time to make any decision.

My question to those who have him- Was he on the field, and will he stay on the field with the GC boys coming back next week?

6. Tigerman

Tigerman New Member

Walesy here's your new signature: the avuncular voice of reason for yet another season.

Unless Curnow comes out with another 100+ I'm sticking with Harris and Swallow onfield.

7. @ Walesy

I had him as an emergency so I'll put harris on for him this week, but reckon against GC he'll be starting on the field for me. JS is average, as a lot will rely on McClean

@ Lucas

Whats your definition of rookie priced? Curnow at $107,700 seems about average for the rookies to me (puts him cheaper than Richardson or McKernan)

8. RV

RV New Member

So tempting if he pulls another big score next week to get him in, but I keep reminding myself this season is a marathon not a sprint.

JS - could be iffy (along with Duigan's JS) with Jamison & Bower due back soon. Ratts mentioned last night Kruz was only 3 weeks away too. I would wager closer to 5-8 weeks though - too risky to rush Kruz back in so soon imo.

9. PinkBatts

PinkBatts New Member

Well, I can only go on what I saw at the game last night, and If Ratts says he has the tank to play all game, I say he has the size to match it. Read the play well, went back with the flight of the ball, showed composure and courage.Good disposal and decision making. Re JS, looks to be the best addition to their team over the summer. Thorton out and duigan before him. Brock Maclean, pfft, carlton will be going backwards at a great rate of knots if he gets a run.

10. Rufus

Rufus New Member

<blockquote>Quote from Hornsy on March 25, 2011, 08:20
    <blockquote>Quote from TheDojo on March 25, 2011, 07:00

Exactly the same.
    Duigan got 60, which is about average for a losing team. I think Freo will win so hopefully Lower scores more, gonna go with him.</blockquote>

I think you'll find that Duigan plays for Carlton.

And they won.</blockquote>

Yes sir. I think my brain works strangely, but I think 60 for Duigan would be about average if his team lost, but they won so i think he under performed. And im just assuming that Duigan has a similar scoring potential to Lower and i think they will win, so hopefully lower can nudge 75-80. Dunno if that makes sense, but yea, i was aware he plays for carlton and they won :D

11. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Duigan plays in the backline. Richmond were smashed in the inside 50s, particularly in the first half when the ball was almost entirely in the Carlton half of the ground. So for Duigan to only score 60 is not a problem for mine.

12. Juddtastic

Juddtastic New Member

Agree Duigan was good for limited time around the ball. As a blues supporter, I wouldn't be too worried about Curnow's JS. Mitch Robinson is doing the role McLean was wanted for (hard and under, blocking for Judd) and not many more midfielders pushing him out. True that Jamison, Bower, Henderson and Kreuzer would be ahead of him but I see him staying and the likes of White, Lucas, Thornton and Duigan going out before him.

13. ThommoDees

ThommoDees New Member

@Juddtastic

Good to know. I think if he scores anywhere around 100 pts next week there will be plenty jumping on and I'll be one of them!

14. Fez

Fez Moderator

Juddtastic, are you Ben??

15. Rufus

Rufus New Member

Ya agree I liked the look of Duigan. Will have to watch Curnow again to see how he goes. Ill be keeping Duigan, until he's ripe to sell or if he gets forced out of the team. Going to back lower to score more than duigan this week tho.

I reckon last nights game was good to watch, the sub rule might turn out to be a really good thing for afl, maybe not SC tho

16. Credmi

Credmi New Member

Who am I?
    1. I am a very humble about my footy achievements.
    2. I am described as a top bloke by most that know me.
    3. I was doing extremely well in my league's best & fairest award last year, until my season was cut short by a broken leg.
    4. My AFL career got off to a flier & I set the pundit's tongues wagging.
    5. My surname contains 6 letters & ends in "ow".

I am ----ow

17. ThommoDees

ThommoDees New Member

18. aerodyte

aerodyte New Member

The GC game didn't really tell us anything. Racking up a few contested possies against kids doesn't make you Barlow. And against Richmond the final quater loadings made a huge difference to his score, and be honest with yourselves, that game would have been a romp were it not for inaccurate kicking.
    Unfortunately, the real test comes this week, just as his bubble bursts.

He's contending for a spot with both Mclean (a guy they're desperate to prove wasn't a wasted trade) and Ellard (one of Ratten's favourites). Both will be ready to take his spot given two or perhaps even one flat game.

The kid can definitely play, but form has not been fully revealed. So if you're trading him in have no allusions: you're doing it on faith alone.

On a lighter note, he does have some similarities to Barlow. He broke his leg 13 or so games into the season with boxhill, but still won their best and fairest.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niw3btch2Z4

19. Whyt_ee

Whyt_ee New Member

<blockquote>Quote from PinkBatts on March 25, 2011, 11:25
    If Ratts says he has the tank to play all game, I say he has the size to match it. Read the play well, went back with the flight of the ball, showed composure and courage.Good disposal and decision making. </blockquote>

I'm Carlton through and through, Ratten couldn't drop him over Mclean or could he?

He's done more than Brick did in a season in two games not to mention make it onto the park. Problem is they traded for Mclean with a high pick, Lucas was a great result but just not sure of Rattens/Kernahans forward plan.

Scares me at how much faith Carlton have put into a injury ridden, slow player such as Mclean. Even if they trade Mclean (if Curnow is the goods) they'll need to give Mclean games to keep his value, or.....

Tried with Haddley, Mclean got Curnow..............

JKT played with Curnow last season and says he is a GUN!

Who knows!