Pre Rd 3 Trades

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Holey, Apr 3, 2011.

1. WindyHillWizard

WindyHillWizard New Member

The big question for me this week is whether to go Bewick to Curnow.

One trade for instant cash and questionable js vs slow burn and decent js.

Foe many this is a no-brainer, but I'm not so sure.

2. Johnson

Johnson Active Member

Team is solid for the time being (knock on wood), only change is a straight swap Atley to Libba, someone previously said a trade has to be worth 200K, is that right, i.e. the trade makes me 200k over time? Or, is it a waste of a trade if the rest of the Mids are going well and Libba would only be on the pine anyway? I only would make the trade for the moo factor to make an upgrade down back in R8-10?

I think I might be going mad, does any o that actually make sense?

3. Zander

Zander Moderator

Someone mentioned earlier trading out Goddard...
    I have Godddard, J Roo and Jolly all tipped to lose $35k to $40k unless they have a blinder, but the only one I'm even possibly thinking of trading would be Jolly as God and Roo are premiums / guns. I've got the cash to swap to Cox or Ryder or anyone really, already got Sandy, but was just wondering what everyone else thought... is trading someone out who's gonna drop by 40k this week (and maybe more in 2 or 3 weeks) as valuable as bringing someone in who may make it up anyway

4. Pattay

Pattay New Member

doesnt matter if u loose a little money short term if u are goin to keep someone, they can just earn it back for you ..... so not a big loss

5. Pattay

Pattay New Member

ive been thinking bewick to libba as well as most ppl .... just dont think it will be worth it in the long run..... also hav hibbert ... been used to move heppel around eash week making 30ish extra points so i dont wanna loose that?? still might be worth it lol

6. Holey

Holey Moderator Staff Member

Can someone enlighten me on the $200k value of a trade? How has this been calculated?

My thoughts are, you need 14 trades to upgrade your side to 22 premium players (assuming you've gone a 15/7 G'n'R approach). Therefore, you have 10 trades to cover Rd3 fixup, LTI's and finals.

Having trades left over after the year is done and dusted IMO is a waste. Just like in a cricket ODI - no point in being 5/270, when you could have gone for broke and finished at 8/330.

I think one trade at this stage of the season - even if its only going to net you an additional $100k - is worth it, as only a really bad luck of injuries would see you then running out.

You can only have 22 players scoring you points - and yes the byes do make it worthwhile upgrading that 23rd player if you have a good run with injuries - but only the supreme teams will get to this.

A blanket value against trades is not accurate. It's supply and demand, and right now (unless you've lost 1-2 to LTI's) the supply is there.

7. VanderHaar

VanderHaar New Member

anyone considering gc swaps or trades coach reckons hes going to play the same 22

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/suns-to-name-same-22-against-dogs/story-e6frf9jf-1226033431845

8. ThommoDees

ThommoDees New Member

@WindyHillWizard

FWIW I have been considering trading Bewick for Curnow or Libba too. I also have Hibberd. Through advice from Lucas and others I have decided to hang onto Bewick and trade Hibberd for Heppell.

9. FixEmUp

FixEmUp New Member

Ive got enough for a sideways trade.

I wasn't considering doing a trade this week, but I'm struggling to ignore Libba and Curnow.

On my bench I have Atley and Bewick. If I trade, one of these boys will go. But I'm thinking maybe both should go for Libba AND Curnow thus giving me the best possible bench, well IMO anyway. A bench of Libba, Curnow and Harris is Moo City for mine.

10. Roscoe

Roscoe New Member

What are people thought on a couple of options I am considering for this week.

Option 1

Trade Ward (F6) for Libba which leaves me with 300k and forward rookies of Libba,Bewick,Harris and Hibberd.

Use money to upgrade Krak to Pavlich or Otten to Enright.

Option 2

Trade rookies Hibberd to Libba/Currow and Sumner to Tapscott and still leaves me with 132k in the bank

Any thoughts appreciated.

11. Bettsy

Bettsy New Member

I have gone 2 mid pricers in Ward and Knights. Really want to downgrade one and up the other( have 80k in the bank too). I prefer to keep Ward and I have Libba,Harris,Swallow,Atley, Tapscott,Darling, McKernan etc and have gone cold on the Curnow idea. I was thinking about Rioli but suspension+ bye= fail. Its only Monday too lol.

12. BrockyFreo

BrockyFreo Member

I have read this whole post, and it looks to me like the following:

Libba greater than Curnow (js)
    Tapscott worth selling your mother for
    Lower subbed off = lower scores (like the pun? :)

I have sloane in my team. So midpriced down to libba looks like a golden move.

Not going to upgrade anyone else yet... too early

13. Shenanigans

Shenanigans New Member

I haven't seen Stefan Martin's (MEL) name mentioned anywhere as a potential sideways DEF rookie trade. 68 ave and due to play Bris & GC in the next two weeks should see him maintain that upward $$ trend for a few more weeks.

Does he have decent JS at the Dees?

14. Smarch

Smarch Member

Not set on this one, but Foley for Curnow/Libba into Boak for Swan.
    Will give me a little extra cash and Swan earlier than planned, plus a leading cash cow missed in beggining.
    Basically correcting my error from going the Mid pricers over the GnR option, burn a few trades but does set me up for rest of the season with grabbing Swan and a fast mooing cow.

15. BreakerJ

BreakerJ New Member

@Smarch
    I would be thinking Boak is a keeper, came up against Pies R1 and is still avg 90pg

on my front am thinking atley -> Curnow (already have Libba).

Also posted this elsewhere but seems more appropriate here... Am also thinking of picking up Tapscott but not sure if its worth it, I have Krak, Dangerfield, Matera & Richardson as forward mid-rook am leaning towards Richardson atm, thoughts?

16. FTMFW

FTMFW New Member

Do the prices of players increase after round 3, or is it after round 4? thanks

17. Smarch

Smarch Member

@Breaker
    Is why I started with him, just thought it would be his year, just tempting to bring in Swan with how he is carving it up at the moment, will wait and ponder for the next few days. Thanks for backing my initial picking of him, I think he will do well, just Swan is so tempting.

@FTMFW
    When a player has played 3 games their price changes, so anyone who has had a bye or missed a week through injury will not increase until that third game. Their price will then alter according to a rolling average of their last 3 games.

18. swerva3

swerva3 New Member

Hi guys, here's what im thinking...on the back of a 2411 R2...

Conca -> Curnow...seems a no brainer even if he does struggle against the pies. Conca really worries me, doesnt seem up to it.

BUT then it gets tougher if you want to trade out poor rookies or mid/high players! Not sure whether to go the Richardson -> Tapscott straight swap or can Bruce -> Newman. Im tipping Newman to be top 5 defender with a bit more quality around him...50k cheaper than Bruce too.

Those trades (Conca/Bruce) will provide 100k in the bank for a nice mid upgrade...maybe Hodge R7!

Anyone got thoughts on Newman v Enright or a sideways trade Yarran -> Dawes. Very tempting as i like the look of Dawes this year, will round out 450k+.

19. HotPiesColdDrinks

HotPiesColdDrinks Member

Not sure about this week.

I have Atley and Bewick and then want Libba and Curnow.
    Ideally I only wanted to use the one trade and that was most likely going to be Atley for Libba.
    I'm not sure if I should make both trades, and also get rid of Bewick for Curnow.
    Bewick doesn't worry me as much as Atley, so I could stick with him, but Curnow is so tempting.

Thoughts?
    I know I will make the one trade, from Atley to Libba, but is making 2 a bit of overkill? Would I be better off saving that one trade, and let Bewick cook for a bit longer?
    Not sure about making the 2 trades.

20. yumcha

yumcha Member

Why all the hate on Atley?

Confirmed JS, Good background, proven athletic skills, and he's a ROOKIE! Put in the team to earn bit of money even if he's scoring 40s-50s per game. Although he is scoring in 30s ... but granted they did play against Pies.

A slight waste of a trade, no? A playing rookie for another rookie?