Help with Boak

Discussion in 'AFL' started by cyclopath, Apr 6, 2011.

1. cyclopath

cyclopath New Member

Hey guys I'm new to TS but just looking for a bit of help with what to do with Travis Boak.

Midfield is: Swan, Pendlebury, Curnow, Cotchin, Libba, Boak with Swallow, Pittard and Harris benched.

Obviously looking at lots of cash cows and upgrades here but Boak is sort of disappointing so far (wanted him as a affordable 3rd prem) just wondering if I should stay with him or upgrade him to another prem. I have $344,300 salary left.

I already have Gibbs, Goddard, Pavlich and Goodes elsewhere so discount them

Cheers

2. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't be discarding Boak yet, he's just starting to find his feet again after an interupted pre-season which included having his appendix out late December I think it was.
    Whilst not super, has output has been fairly good and his workrate is improving already.
    Round 1 against the Magpie machine he scored 85SC in 78% TOG.
    Round 2 he wore a hard tag from Selwood and still managed 94SC in 79% TOG after going in at the long break with only 6 touches!!!
    Won't be long till he's regularly pumping out 100+ scores - I still expect him to finish the season with a 105 - 110 ave.

3. Jonny82

Jonny82 New Member

Whats peoples thoughts on Boak coping ling as a tag? would this limit his scoring this week and make for a potential greater decrease

4. Rufus

Rufus New Member

Ive got him too, looked great in NAB despite preseason issues. Wonder if the Cassisi injury will have any effect on his output? Plus they have been getting raped every game.

But, your burning a trade if u swap him sideways with someone like goodes etc. He's averaging 90 and if he hits that again he will drop about 40k or so.

The golden rule that the TooSerious clergyman will tell u is to make around 200k with a trade it seems, so i think 99% of ppl would say dont jump off him.

I guess us picking him as a POD isn't working out that well at the moment, but i think he will have a big year and will stick with him.

5. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

I reckon your midfield is nicely weighted. Should smash out points and then you can upgrade further.

Enjoy the points you get here, because I'm sure you have issues in another line of your side you aren't telling us about.

Major issues if you have 300 to splash around.

6. Bearfly

<blockquote>Quote from Jonny82 on April 6, 2011, 02:06
    Whats peoples thoughts on Boak coping ling as a tag? would this limit his scoring this week and make for a potential greater decrease </blockquote>

He copped a pretty good tag from Selwood on the weekend & still managed to get 94 SC after only having 6 touches at half time!!!
    The question remains, will Ling tag Boak or will the Cats go down the path of tagging Pearce to cut his dangerous supply inside 50???
    Another in the mix this week is Hartlett - very dangerous player when fit, his precision disposal can hurt a team - so Cats have the 3 to look at tagging.
    Can see Boak going close to the ton this week!

7. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Or you do what Collingwood did, realistically tag no one, play your own game and win on your own terms.

I think Ling will be more offensive this year finding his own ball, maybe a touch less "tagger".

Boak a chance to ton up this week, hopefully Selwood can 150 to make up for the last few.

8. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Boak will win the Brownlow.

9. Corks

Corks Member

Ha ha ha Terry. And Gray is a monty for the Coleman. How much should I put on Port for the premiership? Is the House enough?

10. Corks

Corks Member

Seriously though, would not be ditching Boak. Too good a player not to stay in the 110ppg range.

Can't believe someone has &#36;300k sitting around...any chance of a loan? Get the money in play Champ - all about money working for you early in the year - be it points or cows.

11. cyclopath

cyclopath New Member

Who wants to help me spend that extra cash then? It was a team made with half an hour left before cut off so not perfect but still happy with it.

Gibbs, Enright, Goddard, Heppell, Gwilt, Duigan, Stanley, Otten, Toy, Gilbee.

Swan, Pendlebury, Curnow, Cotchin, Liberatore, Boak, Swallow, Pittard, Harris

Cox, Mumford, Trengrove, Smith

Pavlich, Tapscott, Higgins, Goodes, Fyfe, Darling, Walker, Krakouer, Matera, Prestia

12. Corks

Corks Member

Couple of options I'd float for you. Mummy up to Sandi in the rucks, and Walker/Fyfe up to Chappy or Roo. Would add 60+ppg on average.

13. Smarch

Smarch Member

Not really having doubts about Boak myself, but I do not want to drop off points wise as am sitting lower than I would like overall, don't have Swan in my team and have the ability to bring him in with 2 key trades.

Would like to have a crack at overall but think I could be a bit off the pace already. I know trades are at a premium but my thinking is if I do not grab Swan this week then I will have to wait until after their first bye and I may be too far behind to catch up by then (or already, sitting approx 500 behind Meataxe).

Team is: (&#36;78,800 in Bank)

Gibbs, Deledio, Goddard, Grimes, Heppell, Lower, H.Taylor (Duigan, Stanley, Tape,) a bit Sun crazy here.

Pendlebury, Murphy, Goddard, Boak, Harris, Foley (Buckley, Atley,Swallow)

Cox, Warnock (Petrie, Smith)

Higgins, Riewoldt, Goodes, Franklin, Yarran, Kraks, Tapscott (Richardson, Matera, Dixon)

My plan would be to trade Foley to Curnow/Libba and then upgrade Boak to Swan. I gain Swan early and also bring in a fast mooing cow in the process, + leave some cash in the bank for later.

Another option is the dreaded sideways trade for Taylor to Enright, again I know Taylor will be fine overall, but Enright is more consistant and will finish with a higher average, + looks like being in the top 6 Def for the season, so could do this and then switch Atley to Curnow/Libba.

Probably leaning more to the second as I think both Boak and Foley are the goods eventually, just very tempting to go for Swan now while I can easily grab him with no downside to the 2 trades. (Except changing my plan).

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

14. Bearfly

@ cyclopath
    To me, Mumford -> Sandilands would be the go!!!

15. HeavyMen

HeavyMen Well-Known Member

@cyclepath
    agree with above but would add another option - Gwilt to Lids