Home Jumper Victory

Discussion in 'AFL' started by stkildathunda, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from LiQuiD_SiXx on April 7, 2011, 10:28 But like Lucas said, Essendon should not be forced to wear colours that arent ours. When you see the Bombers, you associate them with Red and Black - not Red, Black and White, or Silver, or Yellow, or Pink. They are the colours we have worn over 130+ years without change, so why should we change now? Just to keep a few people that are getting themselves wet in the panties over it happy? </blockquote>

Been all over the net last night and this morning checking some club histories!!!
    From Essendon's formation in 1873 until 1889 they in fact wore Navy Blue with a Red Sash- so they have changed during their existence.

2. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Add the red and yellow shorts and you're cooking with gas.

And probably red or yellow socks to make it easier to handpass from the pack.

Nothing else necessary

When you think of clashes there aren't that many that can't be easily resolved with relatively traditional solutions.

I also think if the Hawks want that away jumper with that ridiculous Hawk logo (the old one the Melbourne Hawks were going to use was heaps better), then the other colour could easily have been yellow. No real clash with the crows either.

3. LiQuiD_SiXx

LiQuiD_SiXx Active Member

<blockquote>Quote from Bearfly on April 7, 2011, 12:36
    <blockquote>Quote from LiQuiD_SiXx on April 7, 2011, 10:28 But like Lucas said, Essendon should not be forced to wear colours that arent ours. When you see the Bombers, you associate them with Red and Black - not Red, Black and White, or Silver, or Yellow, or Pink. They are the colours we have worn over 130+ years without change, so why should we change now? Just to keep a few people that are getting themselves wet in the panties over it happy? </blockquote>

Been all over the net last night and this morning checking some club histories!!!
    From Essendon's formation in 1873 until 1889 they in fact wore Navy Blue with a Red Sash- so they have changed during their existence.</blockquote>
    Straight from Wiki I see, yet there is no reference or a primary source for that particular piece of historical information.

4. Being a Carlton supporter I'm not too bothered by any of this but found it fairly interesting. Also on http://home.vicnet.net.au/~basiced3/footy/history.html

they state:

1875-76 - The Essendon Jumpers introduced in which where black with a red stripe.

I think that a clash strip should be utilised for clash matches, but agree that surely the colours wouldn't themselves need to change so long as the strips looked different to the oppositions

5. AchillesII

AchillesII New Member

<blockquote>Quote from LiQuiD_SiXx on April 7, 2011, 12:21
    The idea that the Bombers and Tigers clash is laughable. Red and yellow are very different colours.</blockquote>

So you've never watched your own team play against Richmond i take it? The clash is not with the red and the yellow, they barely contributes to 15-20&#37; of the guernsey. It's the predominantly black and black which causes a clash. To say that red and yellow don't clash is just being antagonistic. May as well say that when the roos play the pies, there's no clash because white (from the roos) doesn't clash with the black from the pies.

As for some of the other posts which make more sense, fanatical traditionalists need to be reminded that it's only a clash strip, not a complete change of their clubs identity.

The bombers used to be known as the 'Blood Stained Niggers'... No joke, that's what it was. So sometimes a change is for the better because there has been plenty of change in the past, no need to stop now (as long as it is for the better)

I didn't mind the Hawks ANZAC Day guernsey, with the camo front, only problem is that you can't see them when they're close to the ground.

Not every team has to go with a designated away strip like the hawks have done... But it's a revenue stream that i think teams like North shouldn't ignore. Maybe if they came to some agreement with the pies where over the next 11 home and away matches, the Roos get 6 home games to the pies 5, but the roos must always wear their alternate strip. I think that'd be the most important factor at this point in time for the roos (money), if Brayshaw is not realistic about the situation of his club, he'll destroy the club and all the history that has gone before it.... dramatic, a bit? Something's gotta give

6. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Nah I don't think Richmond and Essendon clash much at all to be honest. You can widen the strips when they play each other to exacerbate the differences. That plus shorts, plus socks, I think any player who misses a target might be colour blind otherwise.

Don't like the kokoda jumper for the Hawks but that's just me. I guess it's probably a bit like teams not liking the Essendon-Collingwood Anzac Day match.

In terms of revenue, North should totally have gone Argentina, but done it completely not in a half-hearted fashion trying to be sort of hybrid with the current jumper. Copy it down to the trimmings and I think the fans might have gone for it.

That said a good solid jumper which you play in all the time is probably worth more in the long run than chopping and changing.

That's what the Pies have no doubt learned after a few atrocious preseason jumpers that brought ridicule to the club. The barcode one I'm still trying to get out of my head but some idiots bought it and so now they still wear it to our games.

7. mickey

mickey New Member

8. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Eddie would never allow it