Rookie Review

Discussion in 'AFL' started by crew, Apr 12, 2011.

1. crew

crew New Member

We all know Curnow, Tapscott, Libba ect are all "A" grade at the minute, but what about "B" grade and "C" grade rookies. I started with Tapscott, Heppel, Lower, Doogs, Toy, Coad, Markovic, Harris, Irons, Smith, Darling, McKernan, Prestia, Richardson. I have added Curnow & Libba. But now starts the assesment of who is going to be my slowest cow and who has JS to moo with.
    I look at my team and consider Curnow, Libba, Heppel, Lower, Tapscott, Harris, Smith, Darling, and Prestia to be keepers or on thick ice at the minute. Doogs playing well but with the team starting to fill will need to stay on top of his game to stay in. McKernan at 1/1 good/bad game is still a question mark but with Porplyzia out (indefinite)adds for his chance to shine.
    Coads 1st game was ok and should stay short term if he stays at that level. So I consider Doogs, McKernan, Coad as rookie "B".
    Then I have rookie "C". Toy : 1 Game as sub 37 in a 1/4 then out is not what I look for when choosing players but consider (without any info on him) him a short term holder to see what happens. Then I have Irons & Markovic who both might have played their last games for a while (Markovic long way ahead of Irons).Then I have Richardson who I though, playing for a bottom team, would of had good JS but apparently not ?.
    What are peoples thoughts on these and other rookies ?.

2. Locky

Locky New Member

My only rookie concerns at the moment are Toy and Pederson.

Pederson got 115 or so in his first, then got dropped. Was in the top 3 in the 2's on the weekend, so hopefully gets a call-up soon.

Toy looked all class in the quarter that he did play and would think the Suns will be getting him back into the line-up ASAP.

3. crew

crew New Member

I agree I think Toy will be back sooner rather than latter. Gaff must be frustrating a lot of people.

4. taminater

taminater New Member

I am not too worried about Toy seeing him playing more full games v soon.
    Gaff - i just don't understand why he is the sub every week, whenever he is on the field he is tearing it up. i have been caught out with him on the field.

Conca - not sure if he is worth keeping him, if he keeps his current average how much will he make and when will his price peak?

curnow - is he the must have? is he a keeper? i don't have him, thinking i might have to downgrade to free up cash to grab him now

thoughts?

5. crew

crew New Member

I hear comentator last week refering to Conca being "taught a lesson again" which is not good to hear if your holding him. Curnow might not be a keeper but the fattest cow in the paddock at the minute. Conca I dont know about would be looking more at a mid price > Curnow and ? > premium imo.

6. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Conca I'd jump off if you didn't already last week.

Thoughts on B Smith vs McKernan in terms of JS and scoring ability?

7. Fez

Fez Moderator

Nick yep looking at the same situation for Toy, if i want to wait a week i can track Coad.

Think Toy might be a chance to take Campbell Browns spot this week, wont know till very late friday night when the final teams are announced

8. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Yep Conca my only rookie concern and too an extent Otten.
    Only problem this week is there isnt much out there to trade into so will probably hold off...

9. graeme

graeme Guest

Unsure where Atley comes in on your scheme crew.

Have Toy and Hibberd who also "worry" me but there are bigger problems with my team than them right now!

regards
    chels

10. blues82

blues82 New Member

I have guthrie on my backline bench who hasnt preformed that well and will find it hard to get back into that geelong side, and i also have buckley who had a good preseason but isnt playing for some reason, not sure if he is injured?
    My ruck stocks are bellchambers and keefe, wish i had of taken smith instead of keefe, not sure if he will squeeze back into the pies side.
    does anyone know why pederson was dropped?, i was thinking of trading guthrie for pederson

11. RaoulDuke

RaoulDuke New Member

Toy is the concern in my team. In saying that, I think he'll be playing soon.

Duigan will come under scrutiny as the likes of Bower return to the Carlton team. Although they're not like for like, I think Carlton will want to keep playing Watson.

I wouldn't mind seeing Richardson get a bit higher than mid 40s to be honest.

12. tAdmin

tAdmin Guest

I'd like to see Dixon kick a bag of 5 or 6 this weekend against Melbourne. Doubt it will happen. Be friggin awesome though.

13. nibbles69

nibbles69 New Member

i will add jack darling to the b list. he has been avg 70. They love him at WC, so he should be staying a while.. i hope

14. crew

crew New Member

<blockquote>Quote from chels on April 12, 2011, 16:25
    Unsure where Atley comes in on your scheme crew.

Have Toy and Hibberd who also "worry" me but there are bigger problems with my team than them right now!

regards
    chels</blockquote>
    Atley is right next to Irons on my radar mate. I would treat him like the Titanic.

15. crew

crew New Member

<blockquote>Quote from Hornsy on April 12, 2011, 16:59
    I'd like to see Dixon kick a bag of 5 or 6 this weekend against Melbourne. Doubt it will happen. Be friggin awesome though.</blockquote>

Imo Dixon has done enough for JS but only as a cow.

16. crew

crew New Member

<blockquote>Quote from RaoulDuke on April 12, 2011, 16:48
    Toy is the concern in my team. In saying that, I think he'll be playing soon.

Duigan will come under scrutiny as the likes of Bower return to the Carlton team. Although they're not like for like, I think Carlton will want to keep playing Watson.

I wouldn't mind seeing Richardson get a bit higher than mid 40s to be honest. </blockquote>

Agree with all that . might need someone wounded at Roo land for Richo to come in and moo some.

17. tAdmin

tAdmin Guest

<blockquote>Quote from crew on April 12, 2011, 18:30
    <blockquote>Quote from Hornsy on April 12, 2011, 16:59
    I'd like to see Dixon kick a bag of 5 or 6 this weekend against Melbourne. Doubt it will happen. Be friggin awesome though.</blockquote>

Imo Dixon has done enough for JS but only as a cow.</blockquote>

I agree that his JS is sky high, but I have grave doubts that he'll be able to average anything over 50, far more likely 30-40.

Which is not really enough to be worth a downgrade, and I certainly don't want to be in a position where I have to put him on the field again.

But eh, whatareyougonnado...

18. snoz

snoz Moderator

Just a note on the Toy-meister...

Word out of the GCS was that the sub will be dropped the following week to play a full game in the magoos and keep the fitness up....flawed thinking perhaps but thats their strategy for now. Thus Toy was sent down last week and this week should see Magin dropped.

19. ELeviathan

ELeviathan Active Member

I am going to stick with Toy for the moment, but it is the forward Rookies from GCS that look to be the real worry. I have Matera, not Dixon, and while both seem to have a bit of something it looks increasingly likely they will be very slow mooers.

Other than Tapscott and Darling, currently can't see too many good alternative rookies in the fwds from other clubs - just have to wait and hope Mzungu and Callinan make miraculous recoveries??!! Are there any 'under the radar' type fwd rookies on peoples watch lists?

20. defeatest

defeatest New Member

Pedersen picked up a small injury he was not dropped. Defo be back this week i reckon