Who goes first Swallow or Harris

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Fez, May 4, 2011.

1. Fez

Fez Moderator

I know its a bit early as they still have room to grow and GC bye isn't till round 9, but what is everyone going to do. Atm im leaning towards holding Swallow and chopping Harris(dont have a good reason for it yet lol), but it the end they will probs both go.

Thoughts??

2. banz

banz New Member

Tough one Fez, depends what your mid break down is. I suspect I will hold and play both till round 9, then 1 up and 1 to the bench as a perma 7 maybe, depending on whats around at that time.

Understand why people are moving 1 on, but its a longer season and I reckon Swallow has another 50k in him and Harris another 75k. Diminishing returns aside, they are both averaging 80+, getting games, and have the Lions on the weekend who also have a youngish mid/on ball set up.

Dam tough call, good luck with that!

3. Beauy

Beauy New Member

Hopefully Fez you have a possible other cow to slaughter this week before these 2. Banz is on the money with the hold off approach as they still have some life in them both yet, I'm holding off on these 2 with a view to having them as a higher scorer to come off the bench for byes not just have a 2 or 3 gamer in and expect them to make 70+ plus points as these 2 are at present. When it does come to moving on the moos, it's an early call and things can change but Swallow for me as he is probably the more likely one to be rested later in the year.

4. RickJames

RickJames New Member

Swallow first!

5. banz

banz New Member

Swallow and the rest bit bothers me as well Beauy, could even be against the crows, that would be handy with Murphy and Curnow having the bye :(

6. Tigerman

Tigerman New Member

Slaughtering one of these two (and Tapscott in the fwd) this week means I can get Hibberd in the mids (Hibberd links to Heppel in backs) and Fyfe in the fwds.

The result being that instead of Swallow(Av 82) and Tapscott(78)[total160] on field every week, I have Fyfe (120) and Hibberd (68) [total 188]. Is it worth the 28 points and MPP link? Would Pavlich be a better option up fwd?

7. Beauy

Beauy New Member

Fez - who are your other cows?

8. spud

spud New Member

It's a tricky situation, given most of the cows that people will be looking at cashing in are yet to peak or even starting to plateau, and are even scoring fairly well too.

If you're looking at cashing in a cow that is currently starting in your side each week, don't forget to factor in any points lost from the trade-down which will result from having to play another player in that unfilled position (and, ofcourse any points gained from a trade up if doing a double-trade)

I'm still in two minds at the moment. There are blokes like Isles, Wallis and Wright who are set to play their third game and will jump nicely to start with, but the likes of Swallow, Harris, Libba etc haven't yet peaked and given what they're still scoring, I'm not sure I'll jump on this lot of cows.

It is a good opportunity to get a round or two up on people like myself though that hold out. Trade 1 up 1 down, get an additional premium in, and reap the rewards over people who are holding off a week or two.

Duigan is a bit of a nuisance. If trading a midfielder down to get some coin, then the logical thing seems to be to trade him up to a premium. But if just looking at doing the one trade and if not having much coin to play with, then a downgrade would seem the only option. It's a shame his BE is most likely going to result in him losing a bit of value, as it would be great to get another look at Hibberd, especially as we only have a game against GC to go on. Similarly if Jacobs and Puoplolo play, it would take a brave person to use a trade without even seeing the blokes play.

Perhaps the loss in value for Duigan by waiting a week is worth the extra weeks look at Hibberd (could save a trade if he ends up having a shocker against a proper team) and also gives a chance to look at Jacobs/Puopolo(maybe)

9. banz

banz New Member

Tigerman its difficult to answer without seeing your team balance.

I think Fyfe or Pav would be solid selections on their own, do you need MPP right NOW, or more importantly later?

The scores are better, if you trade, however I'm not sure if Hibberd is a guaranteed start up every game? I know that risk of rest aside, Swallow and Harris are.

Also think that Tappy could end up around 350k, he is born for SC, and if he can get a 2 game run on, he could move somewhat quickly.

Having said that, rookies are there to be traded, so look at your team balance, make sure you have coverage and make your move.

10. Beauy

Beauy New Member

Nice plan Tigerman!

Tough call on either Fyfe or Pavlich, both in top form, the tough question is can Fyfe sustain it?

You would have to be confident though that Pavlich can sustain his form for the season.

All the best on your call.

11. Fez

Fez Moderator

Fwiw not trading either this week or next I have this weekend planned out, with duigan to the slaughterhouse pittard next week then one of swallow Harris round 9. Just wanted an insight to peoples thoughts which way they would lean

12. spud

spud New Member

Who's Duigan getting slaughtered for, Fez?

13. torcida

torcida Member

instead of wasting trades and trying to find rookies for libba and harris im gonna do higgins > hibberd trade and upgrade them 2 next week or a week after.

they can still rise in price and trying 2 slaughter all these rookies could be difficult fez.
    its easier 2 get rid of one of the midium thats hurt-not performing or suspended and upgrade cows.

higgins has been good this yr but hes always been injury prone so he is making my decision much easier

14. Tigerman

Tigerman New Member

Thanks peeps. It is a tough call, and the only reason I would be trading is that Fyfe is get-able this round, and I would also get one up on the rest of the league and get back into contention for the cash (Currently ranked just outside 1,000). More analysis required I think.

Very good point from Banz - rookies are there to be traded, not kept because they are having a good run.

15. banz

banz New Member

Tigerman as long as you keep your team balance, my main point ,Swallow/Harris are near certain to be picked, I don't know if Hibberd is. But if you have good coverage, the trade looks reasonable.

The problem is, with the bye, most rookies are a week undervalued, yet the season is 2 weeks longer, so whats the rush.

Good luck with your decision, hope it works for you :)

16. Fez

Fez Moderator

Duigan to Enright leaves me with 20k after that trade

17. stowie

stowie Moderator

I am hoping to be able to hold one of them (leaning towards Harris) as M7 to be used as permanent cover.

18. DC

DC Member

Torcida i agree with you on the Higgins trade...

Think he will be out of my team this week as well..

The only reason why i may trade him this week and not next is because i want to jump on jroo before he rises even more..

19. Beauy

Beauy New Member

DC - Have you considered Fyfe? I know he is more than JRoo but more likely to produce consistent scores.

Either way both their prices are on the way up.

Good move on Higgins, when they have a genuine injury history the sideways trade is well justified. You can't help injuries, that's part of it but with Higgo you know he is unlikely to play a full season.

20. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Fyfe for a POD, Pav for a safer bet.