trade strategy

Discussion in 'AFL' started by knotty29, May 6, 2011.

1. knotty29

knotty29 New Member

currently sitting about 1000th overall.

Is it a better strategy to just be downgrading my rookies like duigan and say libba to build cash reserves or should i use cash to upgrade libba to say a d.martin to get inside that top 1000 now?

unsure to what is the better tactic so some feedback would be good, cheers

2. patash

patash New Member

get the guns in as quick as you can!!

3. Smarch

Smarch Member

knotty29, pretty new here myself, but the one thing I have taken from most posts is to make sure you are always improving your team.

You will almost always be given advice to do a downgrade/upgrade in the same week as this will bring your team more points. If you go the double downgrade you will have all that cash sitting in the bank and the 2 new rookies will usually only get similar scores to those traded out. Unless you have a heap of rookies scoring well on the field and the 2 cash cows up for trade have a high break even (hence have a chance of going down in value)you will be hard pressed to find anyone to recommend this option.

Walsey always has said a trade is worth $200 and you should be looking at making an extra 20 points from any upgraded player. eg Swallow and Duigan traded for Puopolo and Selwood, Selwood would be looking at getting 100 - 110+ compared to Swallow averaging about 82, hence an extra 20 - 30 is gained from this trade.

Lots of positives here as you have picked up Selwood cheap (as he has devalued the last few weeks), have some left over cash (maybe)and have a new Cash Cow to gain value towards another trade in the future all in the one week. If you were to do the double downgrade you miss out on those extra points and also the chance that Selwood will go up in value, depending on his break even for the week (remember this is just a trade example, I am unsure of the exact BE and if the $ values of the players will allow this trade off the top of my head).

The trick is making the right trades at the right time to maximise points and value for money used in your trade, this is the reason it is so darn hard to do well at this game it takes a little bit of luck even for those that know what they are doing.

4. knotty29

knotty29 New Member

thanks heaps for that mate, really interesting read. Might do what you said otherwise i might fall further behind my league and the the national comp.