Round 8 Trades

Discussion in 'AFL' started by stkildathunda, May 8, 2011.

1. UnderAchievers

UnderAchievers Member

Hi guys, just somne thoughts on the following trades this week. (I have Grimes but dont have Curnow).

Grimes to Shaw, and McKernan to Joel Tippett (which allows me to bring Petrie, who is wasting away in the rucks, onto the field in the forwards)

This was going to be my plan all along, use Petrie for the rucks during the multi byes and then bring him into the forwards afterwards.

2. The_General

The_General Member

@Tino,

I didn't take Smith's average into consideration at all, I took Tapscotts, because Smith would go to the FWD bench which would allow Tapscott to come on.

For Puopolo I assumed a score of 55pts.

3. Zander

Zander Moderator

Hi guys, I need a miracle to catch up to the leaders so need some POD trades, but don't want to make any rediculously stupid trades either. Just wondering about what you guys think of Jarred Brennan in the fwd line? He had a bad start but since then is absolutely smoking it. Worth trading in?

4. HotPiesColdDrinks

HotPiesColdDrinks Member

Still not sure what to do. Grimes has kind of stuffed my plans up. As my plan was to upgrade to a premium midfield this week (J. Selwood) and next week maybe bring in a premium forward (Chapman).
    But now with Grimes out, not sure whether I fix Grimes first.

Option 1:

- Get rid of Grimes and bring in Shaw/Enright/Newman (I have $209,000 in the bank).

- Possibly trade out Matera and bring in Liam Patrick (is he a good downgrade option?)

Then with the coin I make from my downgrade, I can use it as an upgrade in the midfield next week

Option 2:

I could keep Grimes on the bench for a week. My back line is:

Deledio, Gibbs, Goddard, Broughton, Lower and Thompson the 3 possible guys I could use to cover Grimes for a week is (Batchelor, Toy or Puopolo)

I would do this.

- Matera out and Liam Patrick in
    - Conca out and J. Selwood in

Then upgrade Grimes the following week, and hopefully look to upgrading Chapman in my forward line in like 3 weeks.

I only want to upgrade to a midfield premium soon, because I am running with only 3 premium midfields. Swan, Pendlebury and Judd.

Thoughts?

Not sure how good Liam Patrick is, as a downgrade option. I think I will wait for I.Smith and bring him into the middle the following week, so I can open the Krakouer and Smith link between Mids-Fwds.
    Don't want Smith in my forward line right now.

5. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

@ HotPies

To decide between the option, you have to be clear who your upgrade target is. If its Selwood/Watson, then definitely do the midfield upgrade, as this is probably the cheapest you're going to get them.

If your upgrade target in the backline is Enright, then this works well, as his BE is pretty high after last week and will go down a bit. If its Shaw however, maybe this upgrade can be done first.

For me I'm going Curnow to Pendles this week, as not only does Pendles usually step up for big games, but its the week after the bye and they should be fresh. Then, next week I will probably go Grimes to Scotland, who is also coming off a bye and is Mr Consistent.

Plus I will be offloading Swallow and one of Matera/Stanley before their second bye in round 9.

These trades work well for me with the tempo of the byes.

6. BrennyC

BrennyC New Member

Thinking I might move Grimes to Enright then maybe Curnow to Wallis. Frees me some cash. Thinking I MIGHT hold onto Grimes for another week and hope Enright doesn't get >=133.

7. HotPiesColdDrinks

HotPiesColdDrinks Member

@Nick

Thanks. I am leaning towards holding out on Grimes and making the upgrade the following week to my backline. My main target was Enright originally, but I like the look of Shaw as well. Though at the moment, I have Swan, Pendlebury and Krakouer, so maybe I could wait on Shaw and see how he is going after Collingwood's round 14 bye.

8. Beauy

Beauy New Member

I would love to get some opinions on this one.

I'm trading in a premium mid this week but undecided on which of these 4 to choose. One of these needs to come in this week to tie in with my other trading strategies.

Griffen avg 118 - BE 92 price going up
    Mundy avg 128 - BE 96 price going up
    Boyd avg 121 - BE 144 price going down
    Priddis avg 118 - BE 124 price going down

The prices up and down for all players is no greater than $15 000 either way.

Leaning towards Mundy but my only concern is later in the year when Freo have the bye there will be ample points on the bench together with Sandi and Pav.

9. Matty_C

Matty_C New Member

I think the only way to catch up to the top teams while still dealing with last weeks injuries for my team is to try and squeeze two upgrades out of the one downgrade. I plan to do this by:

This week:
    Bank: 70k
    Curnow > I.Smith (Allows me to bring Pav into midfield to relegate Iles to the bench and bring Krak on down forward + 210k cash)
    Grimes > Newman (Cheapest available defensive premium)

Newman has to be selected as the two trades the next week are going to be extremely tight. It relies on a few scores going my way, but I have backup plans if things go pear shaped.

Next week:
    Bank: 250k
    Lower > Enright (Hopefully after a small price drop)
    Knights > Rioli (Also after a nice price drop)

If my players dont rise enough or the players I want dont drop enough then Goodes is an alternative to Rioli and possibly Stiffy as an alternative to Enright, but Stiffy would be a last resort. So effectively it will be the 4 trades for two upgrades and a LTI, effectively saving me a trade. Is this any good? Or no chance of coming off?

10. Fedor

Fedor New Member

I'm really tossing up between trading Grimes out for either Shaw or Bob Murphy. Shaw is averaging higher but if you take out Murphy's anomaly against Freo, he is scoring just as well as Shaw and at nearly 80k less. The worry I have with Murphy though is that I already have too many doggies players (Boyd, Ward, Libba, Higgins) and no fielded magpies.

11. Quantum

Quantum New Member

Is Murphy injury prone?

12. bama

bama Active Member

I have Curnow and Grimes to trade out, and have 2 options at this point

1/ Curnow - S Thompson and Grimes - Bob Murphy

2/ Curnow - OKeefe and Grimes - Newman

Tought call deciding on which way to go, Thompson may be out with a corked calf so will hold all trades for now. Any thoughts.

13. taminater

taminater New Member

is curnow worth keeping?

14. blah_blah

blah_blah New Member

Is the stats calc on tooserious working correctly?

i.e. for Chappy it lists B/e 152

But when i enter it into the stats page if he scores 152 he goes down from $530,600 to $515,294?

Or is it just me??

15. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

No do not keep Curnow. With his bye the injury is timed not too badly. High BE. TRADE.

Blah blah - you have consider the 3 week rolling average. His lower score will still be affecting the price movements.

16. blah_blah

blah_blah New Member

Sorry if im totally lost but from what I recall the 'Break even' was the score the player had to score for his price not to be effected.

So it lists Chappy's B/E as 152 but his price still goes down in the stats calc when i enter 152?

17. CHUD

CHUD New Member

quantum - robert murphy is indeed injury-prone. had problems with his knees on/off since 2006/7. peach of a player when fit though!probably in a similar category to adcock in that he is capable of being a solid premium was it not for his injuries. murphy is also isn't getting any younger.

maybe have a look at suckling if you are looking for value?

18. CHUD

CHUD New Member

blah_blah - his price goes down even at 152 because his 3 week rolling average will drop due to the 85. i think thats how it works anyway..

19. mo_cheeks

mo_cheeks New Member

@bama, depending on your coverage, why do you need to offload Grimes this week?

From what I can see most of the decent backs will come down in price again next week if you can cover for him this week.

I'm cutting Curnow for Mundy and getting rid of Richardson up forward for a new rookie. Then I'll offload Grimes next week for either an upgrade or downgrade depending on what's available.

If you've got cover, their price isn't going anywhere and those to bring in (upgrades) don't seem to be sky rocketing. If you're downgrading, the usual suspects, Puopolo/Hibberd are still a week from being on the bubble.

My thoughts.

20. JamesNanks

JamesNanks New Member

Trav Boak has been a major letdown for me and his BE is still too high, he's going nowhere but down, so I think it's time to cut my losses.

Looking at bringing in Daniel Pratt for Grimes which would have me looking at Griffin (have Boyd), Bartel (have Selwood), Moloney (no Jamar will hurt him badly), Mitchell, Fyfe or S Thompson.

Leaning towards Fyfe for his MPP status and my several Mid/Fwds in my Fwd Line.

Thoughts??