Round 8 Trades

Discussion in 'AFL' started by stkildathunda, May 8, 2011.

1. BuddyBeauty

BuddyBeauty New Member

Hey boys, like many, I have Grimes and Curnow. I've been thinking about trading Grimes -> Shaw/Fisher/Adock. And leaving Curnow till next week for a down to I.Smith. Viable plan? Thoughts? And who for grimes?

2. FixEmUp

FixEmUp New Member

How long do we think Curnow might be out for?

Grimes is obviously going to be traded given its a 12 month injury but Curnow, as I've heard, could be back in 2-3 weeks.

My plans at the moment should I trade Curnow is this...

Grimes > Nicoski
    Curnow > Watson/Chappy

3. Sainterz12

Sainterz12 Member

For me I am planning on
    Grimes > Shaw this week
    Curnow > I. Smith either this week or hold off for next.
    Libba > Watson next week
    If Curnow goes this week, I can downgrade to Mzungu/Poops next week also to save cash for a bottomed out Chappy.

Thoughts?

4. Kanga18

Kanga18 New Member

I like it Sainterz. If the Bombers had had their bye I would be all over Watson right now...
    Guys, how about a double upgrade...
    Money in bank + Grimes + Curnow to become Shaw + Goodes + very little money left over.
    Sound like a plan?

5. Golingo

Golingo New Member

Ahh. What a tough week. On need of a bit of advice (like many, many others this week!) :|

Here's my current line-up:

B Deledio, G Broughton, Goddard, Lower, Batchelor, D Stanley, Heppell, (bench: Gibbs, Grimes, Otten)

Swan, Pendlebury, A Swallow, D Swallow, A Krakouer, Hibberd (bench: M Murphy, E Curnow, D Harris)

Cox, Sandilands (bench: Z Smith)

Pavlich, Franklin, N Riewoldt, L Tapscott, B Matera, S McKernan, J Darling (bench: C Yarran, S Higgins, C Richardson)

I'm going for my local league win. Currently 3-1, on top by %. Obviously a very tough round for me, with the injuries and Carlton bye I'm currently stuck with one donut on the field (being Hibberd listed as emergency). 20 trades and $46k in the bag, and as you can see quite a few rookies or injuries needing a trade.

With the exclusion of Harris this week, it's nearly tempted to tank this week with some preparatory trades.

Primary concern is Grimes. I'm looking at Shaw or Enright as premium upgrade, R Murphy for the MPP, or a Brady Rawlings as a roll of the dice. Starting to exclude Enright and Rawlings due to finals bye, as I'm concerned my trades will really be a premium later in the year with the current list of rookies I'm holding. Can't take the Adcock injury risk for the sake of a few ppg.

The question is the downgrade options. I should probably bite the bullet with Curnow, assuming he's gone with an AC for 4-6 weeks, and will also lighten my Carlton load for the finals bye. I'm struggling to find a downgrade option past I Smith, but the prospect of him getting stuck on 2 games for while with a Rioli return scares me. Can't see too many other midfield downgrade options though apart from perhaps B Speight. Or a Matera forward downgrade for someone..

Ah. This is taking too much time out of my nights! Curnow > Smith, Grimes > Shaw seems the likely trade this week for me, but if anybody can see some crucial other options I am missing, I'd be glad to hear your thoughts!

edit: goodness, that was a long post - sorry for that!
    Cheerio
    Mat.

6. way2serious

way2serious New Member

i am thinking that i will sell harris this week (leave me with 473k in bank) and want to get in a prem midfielder, what are everyone's thoughts whether i should go for a star that has dropped in price ie Hodge, is he going to regain his previous form, or should i be looking at a young gun who looks in for a good season ike a cotchin or a rockliff?

and reasons please to your opinions, like why Hodge isn't going to end the season the way he has played for the last few years

7. way2serious

way2serious New Member

@golingo

yeh i reckon if you haven't got shaw and enright then they are good reliable options and the grimes trade must be made sooner or later and so i would say you may aswell make it sooner rather than later in order to avoid a donut.
    Then you can swap hibberd into your defence and your donut is safe and then it is up to you to do what you want with Curnow, (personally i can cover him this week and still have an emergency so i will be hanging on to see how the likes of Jacobs and smith go and also further updates on Curnow's situation)

8. yt

yt New Member

whats everyones opinion on a midfield up grade this week trying to decide between pendles and selwood, thinking im best waiting til after pendleburys next bye not 100% sure tho

9. Albertonflyers

Albertonflyers New Member

yt - I need to bring in Pendles also but will wait until after their next bye.

I'm looking at copping a donut in defence this week with Gibbs, Duigan and spuds Lester and Pederson watching from the sidelines.

Need to trade Grimes for Adcock and was considering Curnow-S. Buckley. Opens up the MPP between defence and mids and I can swap Gibbs for Buckley and avoid the donut.

Sound like a plan?

10. BennyC88

BennyC88 Member

Ok this is how I went:

Grimes to Shaw
    Higgins to Mundy

Hopefully points will rack in this week

11. JM

JM Member

What are peoples thoughts for Grimes to Harry Taylor?
    Taylor has bottomed out I reckon with a BE of 33. Takes a lot of opposition marks and would be good for a 80+ weekly score. His 140 in the first round is a show of what he can do.

12. J_C

J_C Guest

@yt - Selwood's great value at 510k. Apart from the game where he got knocked out, he's scoring has been good. If I didn't already have Bartel, I'd snap him up at that price.

13. swerva3

swerva3 New Member

@way2serious - stay away from Hodge for a few weeks...massive break even so will be bottoming out in 2-3 i reckon. Rockliff very consistent but maybe others such as Cotchin will provide better value.

Hard to see a valid argument to pick up an 'upcoming' star in the 470k price range when the tried and true are there anyway...reckon Ablett will be there soon too!

14. whips

whips New Member

@JM
    Without seeing your other options, it makes SOME sense.
    I agree with all you've said and had a real close look at Taylor myself (sideways - shock horror).
    IF you have plenty of trades, can't upgrade Grimes and are looking at a possible donut, he might be a stop-gap solution.

15. Beauy

Beauy New Member

@ Albertonflyers

I'm not sold on Buckleys JS with the Pies.

I feel that the 1st gamer for Port in Jacobs will fair better in the long term and he has MPP or the Poop. Also Cripster the Saint could be on.

Port will be playing kids the rest of the year and the Saints similar.

If you have to avoid the donut I would move Duigs before Gibbs and make some coin, Gibbs will come good.

16. DamoH

DamoH Well-Known Member

@JM, I’d be wary of getting Taylor. I’ve had him since the start and was patting myself on the back after that R1 140. After that he went on a run of 41,32 and 44 (although granted, he’s recovered a little in the last couple of rounds) and lost over 100k. The inconsistency is killing me, and I have been tempted to sit him on the bench behind Lower.

Although, given the type of player he is I think he has more potential to score when playing the better teams, so he might go alright this weekend.

I’d still upgrade Grimes if you can though, probably to Enright if you don’t have him.

17. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

I see that Matt Suckling has been named in the Hawks side, on the wing nicely enough. I'm looking to pick him up as a small upgrade from Andy Otten, although his JS is a bit questionable. I can do that this week with cash in hand!

I'm also looking at getting Shaw and probably Pratt (again questions over JS) into my backline, which should fit in nicely with Gibbs, Goddard, Enright, and Heppell, with Jacobs or Hibberd in the middle to run the DPP's. I can bring in Shaw this week with an upgrade-downgrade double trade, but I'm wondering if a game against the cats will result in a price rise or drop for him.

I'm keen to stay away from Deledio because of his 2 byes still coming, but my plan could change and he could make a nice fit by ignoring Suckling or Pratt and holding off for a few weeks...

Any advice on the best coarse of action would be great, as my backs are a problem for me...

Cheers ;-)

18. mjcdons

mjcdons New Member

Need Advice. Here's my team:

DEFENCE
    Deledio, Heppell, H Shaw, Hurley, Grimes, Lower, Duigan, L Thompson, Puopolo, Toy

MIDS
    Swan, Goddard, Selwood, Cotchin, D Harris, I smith, Gibbs, Curnow, D Swallow

RUCKS
    Sandi, Petrie, Z Smith, Fraser

FORW
    Pav, Franklin, J Roo, N Roo, Goodes, Tapscott, Higgins, Krak, S McKernan, C Richardson

18 trades and $50,000

Stuffed up not getting Cox. Should I try and trade to get him or pick up points elsewhere? Any advice appreciated.

19. torcida

torcida Member

not while u got grimes - curnow and higgins in there - plus u got harris - swallow - hurley - heppell all having bye soon . i would be doin something with them

20. J_C

J_C Guest

Hi all,

Lots of outs for me this week (10!) and looking at donut in the mids. With only 22k in the bank after bringing in Chappy last week, I'm considering:

Curnow > Jacobs (keen on the MPP and think he'll play quite a few games)

plus either of

Grimes > Shaw or
    Swallow/Harris > Mundy.

Both options allow me to avoid a donut and bring in a premium (granted Grimey is a bit sideways-ish). Thoughts?

Currently have:

MIDS: Pendles, Bartel, Pav, D Swallow & Iles (came in last week to get Chappy). Not playing - Montagna, Murphy, Curnow & Harris

DEFS: Lids,Goddard, Heppell, Lower, L Thompson, Stanley, Batchelor (Gibbs Duigan Grimes)

Cheers