Round 9 Trades

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Pecks, May 16, 2011.

1. clackerz

clackerz Member

I'm really stuck with my trade planning over the coming weeks.
    I have 17 trades left, and am unsure on whether I should just do a single trade down and another dwn next week to get cash in prep for upgrades, or a double this week to upgrade a mid.
    I need to do something this week in the mids, with Watson benched and x3 GC players. I also have Hibberd there but he can move to the Back.

My main concern is my remaining trades. Trading double this week leaves me with 15. I wanted to aggressively trade this year, as I was quite conservative last year.

My Team:
    Back:
    Goddard, Deledio, Heppell, Enright, Gibbs, Broughton, Lower (L.Thompson, Poops, B.Jacobs)
    Mid:
    Pendles, Priddis, Goodes, Selwood, Swallow, Hibberd (Watson, Harris, Iles)
    Ruck:
    Cox, Sandi (Z.Smith, Keeffe)
    Fwd:
    Buddy, Pav, J.Roo, N.Roo, Darling, Tapscott, B.Green (Matera, McKernan, Prestia

Cash: $9K

I'd like to get in Swan (after bye) and possibly Boyd in the mids, but I've got a bit of work to in both Fwd and Backs too.

2. stowie

stowie Moderator

Those with Watson, why not trade him to Ablett (this week or next)?

3. The_General

The_General Member

WLF consider say a Watson to Ablett next week. Ablett has had both byes compared to 2 byes and at least 1 week out with injury.

At current averages Watson's total points is 12 * 116 = 1392.

Ablett's 15 * 118 = 1770.

That's a difference of 31.5 points per match for Watson. No way is he going to be averaging that much more than Ablett consistently. I believe an additional 378 points is worth a trade.

Ablett is a injury risk however.

4. dabombers

dabombers Active Member

Love this time of the year. Injuries, byes, high BE's
    its enough to make a grown man cry........

My thoughts on Watson, if its 3 weeks I think he's still a keeper and not worth the trade as he should end up in top 8 mids. If ya go to Ablett you still then need another trade to get the next best in at M5-M6.
    Thats 2 trades to sort out the mids b/c one is sideways.
    Unless your happy with a M/F M/B or rookie taking the M6 spot.
    My plan is to wait out on Watson and just get Ablett anyway, prob for Harris next 3 weeks. (a little more maths to do here on Harris Growth Vs Abletts.)

Hurley is a bigger prob for me, he was gonna be a handy F7/D7-D8 and would switch with R.Murphy/Grundy and Retzlaff.
    Might have to change my MPP strategy and just use movement through M/F's and M/D positions. Could see me with better final team players, but less options to use for coverage, and 2 more trades. One up/Down.

If I dont hear good news on Higgins this week I might just throw in the towel and go wild. bye-bye top 1000....

5. The_General

The_General Member

True dabombers, however if you know you can't win overall, you will be trading out Watson anyway in Rd24 so then it's not 2 trades vs 1.

All depends on what your going for, although I would think even if you are going for the overall, you will still save a trade for Watson in Rd 24.

6. dabombers

dabombers Active Member

@The_General I'm prob not in the race for the top overall but going for highest position possible.

I was planning Watson mixed with Z.Smith after R16 and an under-performing/Injured player for my last 3 trades of the year.
    Been moving my upgrade strategy away from Geelong/Carlton/Essendon anyway after Chappy came in(looks like 3 weeks 2 early)
    Been trying to upgrade so theres a midpricer from starting team as bench spot but it might end up being a rookie MPP instead. Heppell, Krak, Mzungu, Jacobs, Hibbard, I.Smith....

7. taminater

taminater New Member

whats the latest on Jamar?

my rucs are cox, jamar, smith, keffe
    due to gc bye will cop a donut.

i don't really want to waste a trade on the rucks, i only have 17 left and i am probably about 2 more than i had planned for.

should i just cop a donut this week and have smith cover till jamar is back ro is he likely to be out longer than anticipated?

8. jdOzman

jdOzman New Member

@dabombers I have the same problem with Hurley, although not using his MPP, have that covered via M/D & M/F links. Think I'll hold him for now and see what happens after the bye. If not back in R11, might be flick time.

9. joshua

joshua New Member

@clackerz

its peak trading time right now and i would say that doing a double trade and having 15 left is just about perfect to set you up to use 2 per week (up/down) over the next 4 weeks or so. realistically looking at your team you have about 5 or 6 keepers still to bring in, now that all your rookies are reaching the 270-330k range its probably time to get sell them off.
    aim to bring in a keeper to your mids this week definitely and also work out who you think will score higher, hibberd or one of your benched defs and decide whether to move heppell into mids and hibberd onto def bench.

10. J_in_Japan

J_in_Japan New Member

This week there aren't a lot of trade down options across any of the lines except Smith and Puopolo from the Hawks or Hibberd from the Bombers so I'd Imagine there will be a lot of trading into these 3 players.

The fact that there is an option for F/M and D/M will make this more attractive although Hibberd, with not particularly strong JS may be overlooked in favour of Jacobs from Port who is on the bubble next week. Both though still have 2 byes to come for the season.

I'm thinking of dumping Varcoe, which should have happened weeks ago into I Smith and then upgrading Grimes into Adcock who seems to have rediscovered his consistency this season.

11. turly23

turly23 New Member

Hi guy's, just wanting to get some assistance on this weeks dilemma lol

My team ATM is

B: Gibbs, goddard, shaw, heppel, broughton, lower, stanley
    (batchelor, puopolo, b.smith)
    M: Swan, pendles, mitchell, selwood, cotchin, harris
    (iles, curnow, bewick)
    R: cox, sandi(smith, dericx)
    F: Franklin, fyfe, sylvia, goodes, jroo, roo, darling
    (Matera, tappy, knights)

Currently have 16 trades and and 46k in the bank, I was thinking of this week maybe going

Curnow > I.smith(much needed MPP) and then going B.smith > suckling which will still leave me with 100k, Brodie smith is going to drop this week so he has to go.

Other options as an alternative to suckling are johncock and gilbee so who should I go??

If ya think I'm better off making different trades this week please feel free to tell me, cheers :)

12. CHUD

CHUD New Member

The B Smith > Sucking trade is solid. I (probably not the only one either!) have seriously been considering Suckling as a genuine premium defender. Add to that he's a POD and well priced at $373,000 or thereabouts.

As for Gilbee and Johncock. I'd probably wait a few more before jumping on Gilbee, besides his 153 against Richmond he's been pretty ordinary. And Johncock's scoring fluctuates way too much. 65 one week, 115 the next etc.

13. whips

whips New Member

@turly
    Love Suckling and I Smith as trade ins as long as you can get through the Rd 17 bye.
    With these coming in, you'll need to have coverage for your 5 Hawthorn players - one strong on each line (M/F/D).
    There's time to adjust but be careful.

14. Markaninos

Markaninos New Member

ok i have 16 trades left.
    this week thinking matera --> i smith
    mckernan --> shaw/suckling

next week
    l. thompson --> rookie downgrade or zac smith --> ruck rookie (cash in)
    harris --> boyde

after that wallis -->mzungu
    forward upgrade

that should have me completed mostly my def, my mids should be complete with pendles, cotchin, murphey, watson, boyde, selwood, a.swallow with happel and hibberd mpp
    and the mzungu at the end (just before his hopefully third game opens the f/m link
    and i work on maybe two more down and ups in the forward to finish on 6-8 trades for injuries by round 14/15
    but if i hit suckling at the start, i may be able to use spare cash for a single extra upgrade in fwd later

15. DC

DC Member

B Smith is interesting...

Hasnt gone up much at all to cash in....

16. FlyUp

FlyUp Member

Do some work Markaninos :)

17. 2Judd2Fast

2Judd2Fast New Member

I did the ballsy thing of trading Broughton this week for Heath Shaw, I can afford to wait for Goddard to improve but I refuse to have the same punt on Broughton. Too many Freo players are taking points off him.

I'm worried about Petrie, the guy doesn't give a stuff about my SC.

18. The_General

The_General Member

Here is another iteration of possible def trades.

Option 1: Grimes to Enright
    Swallow to Hibberd or Stanley/Lower/Thompson to Puopolo

Leaves me with in excess of 250k in the bank.

Option 2: Grimes to Enright
    Lower/Stanley to Suckling

Leaves me with 6k in the bank.

Thoughts?

19. Corks

Corks Member

Maybe not a Round 9 Trade, but MZUNGU's BACK!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/fremantles-tendai-mzungu-could-make-shock-return/story-e6frf9jf-1226057606443

The most awaited debut possibly in SC history. C'mon Harvs, give him a go.

:)

20. jdOzman

jdOzman New Member

@The_General Depends on what the rest of your team looks like. If your other lines are strong, then option 2 sounds good. If you need the cash for upgrading your other lines more, then option 1 obviously fits in with that.

I reckon Suckling is a keeper though, myself. And is at a good price to boot. I wish I had brought him in a few weeks ago.

Did manage to jump off B.Smith the week before his score of 7 though - took a punt on early downgrade to Puopolo so that I could upgrade Curnow -> Mundy to complete my Mids.