The Jobe Saga

Discussion in 'AFL' started by clackerz, May 19, 2011.

1. clackerz

clackerz Member

Well after reading the TS Extra (Great reading BTW) I'm now stuck at what I should do with Jobe.
    I know it should be a no-brainer - TRADE-OUT.
    But I only got him in last week! To add to that pain I slapped him with the (c)!

I was going to hold, mainly coz I double traded to get him in and earlier this week it was a 2-3 week injury (with a bye in b/w).

Now it seems it's longer and with the rnd 24 issue I'm really at a loss.

Do I cut my loses with a bad trade a move him on - or do I stand strong and keep hoping it's not as long as stated?

I'm already down to 17 trades and have the donut issue with Swallow, Harris & Iles already out with the bye.
    I've really had a good run until now.....
    As Cher once sang "If I could turn back time...."

2. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Im not a Jobe owner but as soon as i heard Jobe was out i said it would have to be seriously considered to trade him out. 2-3 weeks plus the Round 24 bye.

Put it this way if you knew one your players would get injured and miss 4 games for rest of the year would you keep them, or for that matter would you trade them in?

3. whips

whips New Member

@ clackerz
    If Joe Bloggs had your identical team, identical trades left and identical bank balance, it wouldn't matter whether he had Watson from Rd 1 or from last week.
    Strategies moving forward should be the same.
    If Watson plays 10 of the last 14 his 120 average becomes 85 over the remainder. And he won’t be in your league GF team anyway.
    Do it now and start using his value for other upgrades immediately.

4. DC

DC Member

You just traded him in what a waste it would be to trade im out...

(I posted this to someone else who asked about watson)

You picked him up for a reason and that is for him to score even better this year (which he has been doing) as he has added goal kicking to his game).

Ask yourself this question, If it was Ablett last year missing for two games would you trade him? The answer is No.

Just trade him out round 24 (If you make the Granny).

Could be back against Melb :)

5. clackerz

clackerz Member

If I had him from the start I'd probably be seriously thinking about trading him out.
    But seeing as though I just got him in (using x2 trades)it's made that decision harder.

6. whips

whips New Member

@DC & clackerz
    What is the difference whether you 'just' traded him in? It's an injury and he WILL miss.
    I agree with 'you traded him in for a reason' if it was just a bad game.

7. DC

DC Member

If you just traded him in you have already used a trade on him and if you want to get rid of him this week thats 2 trades in 2 weeks on the same player.

Having him from the start would make it a lot easier to say goodbye..

Also depends on your cover and IF you are going for overall or league.

If league i would no doubt keep him. (Need to make the GF first)

If overall and you got no cover you might be leaning to move him on...

8. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

No chance back v Melbourne. Friday night which means <21 days.

I think he's got to even be considered slightly doubtful to play at Perth the next week even though he will be chomping at the bit to be back in action.

Certain back June 18 but by then the damage might well be done.

Coming from a Rioli holder (and if you were a Higgins holder ditto) you'd have wanted to trade him immediately if you had heard the words "slight strain" and "got it early" again. Because it doesn't mean that at all.

This player manager speak really means "he can't hardly walk all week and will be gone for 21-28 days"

9. DC

DC Member

On a different note.. Clackerz i would of thrown something at the TV if i traded in Watson last week put the C on him then watched him come off with a Hamstring!!

Im already annoyed that i traded out Higgins last week and he is set to be named this week haha..

The ups and downs of supercoach! (More downs)

10. Midge001

Midge001 Member

How strong is your league position? It's a lot of poitns to have parked on the bench for 3 rounds, and if it means 3 losses in a row then the R24 bye will be the least of your problems. If you are serious about winning it then surely you brought him in knowing you would have to trade eventually anyway, so you're not losing a trade, just making it earlier than planned.

11. clackerz

clackerz Member

I'll have cover this week after my plans to trade this week:
    Swallow OUT, I.Smith IN
    Harris OUT, Mundy IN

This was already on the cards before last weeks trading.

I understand the whole Higgins/Rioli saga (I have/had neither) and really felt for those with them.

To get Mundy using Watson, I still need to double trade.

I think I'll stick with my plan of trading this week and sit on the whole Watson issue.

12. clackerz

clackerz Member

@ DC I almost did - but I had to hold strong. I had my 2 young boys watching it with me. I was absolutely bleeding, and hoping that they were being more cautious, until I saw him with the ice pack strapped to his leg....
    I couldn't focus on the game after that - my mind was reeling over what my options were - jumped straight onto the PC and started investigating....

@ Midge001 - I'm outta overall contention sitting around 11,000. Was hoping for better, but it's a PB for me anyway. So looking at league (won last years cash league, so looking for back-to-back)currently sitting in 4th with some *easy* games coming up.

I knew I'd be trading him out, it's just I got absolutely no value from it both $ wise and points wise - actually backwards.

13. torcida

torcida Member

i had missy but as soon as i heard hes not back in rnd 7 and i was facing doughnut i pulled the trigger , got selwood and never looked back .
    if i had jobe i would prob look at hodge - Rok or goodes
    unless i had good bench cover

14. Whyt_ee

Whyt_ee New Member

Selecting KHUNT was obviously enough Karma to help me avoid the jobe, cyrol, missy and hayes crisis. This year.

15. Midge001

Midge001 Member

In that case, Clackerz, I'd probably hold him too. Congrats on the PB, by the way. But if you can get through the next couple weeks unscathed then go for it, make the most of the cows while their mooing and sideways him later if you make it through to the GF.

16. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

Firstly, remember- There's a difference between making a bad trade, and copping some bad luck. Trading in Watson was pretty solid (al beit, trading into a player with two byes... ;))

However remember- the past is the past. Don't let what did happen effect what you should be doing in the future. Your team is in the current state that it's in right now and you need to make the best decisions possible based on the new information.

Watson is out from 3-4, you trading him in last week was unlucky, but don't let that trade cloud your judgement- trade based on where you're at now.

17. RAR

RAR New Member

I also traded Watson in last week and made him Captain, can't help bad luck. However, I am not cutting him as with double trades planned to premiums for the next 4 weeks (Pendlebury, Ablett, Chapman, Scotland it would simply put me back another week, and he should be back by then.

18. JoshyC

JoshyC Well-Known Member

lets say you are trading him out - do you hold him for a week and go to yableeeeett, or pull the trigger now for a fallen prem (say a hodge, nds, etc), or a gun (mundy, boyd, etc) or do you pull the trigger for a rookie (hibberd, smith, etc)...this is my dilema as i have had him since round one and was always trading him out due to the R24 bye.

19. crew

crew New Member

Yup same Watson in & captained .....Far king Pineapple !!!!.

20. silacious

silacious New Member

I've had Watson since the start he's in the gun for either Boyd or Pendlebury, I'm not sure which one yet. I can't afford in my league to bench him as all peeps in my league either have Pendlebury, Selwood and or Boyd already