Petrie trading

Discussion in 'AFL' started by damnfunky, May 21, 2011.

1. damnfunky

damnfunky New Member

Next week I am planning on trading petrie.

I currently have j. tippet so I can do the ruck/fwd swap.

Anyway. I was wondering whether it makes sense to switch petrie to the ruck to trade out for a very cheap ruck...someone I dont expect to play to be able to squeeze out a few extra dollars from the trade.

the consequence of this brings the dead weight of j tippet to the forward line who I would trade out to mzungu etc. so this uses up the extra trade.

or should I just do a straight FWD swap from petrie to mzungu or i smith. and just leave j tippet as is.

option 1. Petrie > dodgy ruck
    J tippet to mzungu

option 2 Petrie > mzungu/smith

what do you reckon?

note. rest of my ruck is cox, sandi, z smith

2. Matty_C

Matty_C New Member

I would say if you're going to trade Petrie then definitely option 2. Option 1 costs you two trades but only makes you an extra 30-40k than option 1 and it leaves you in pretty much the same place coverage wise. If Sandi and Cox both go down then everyone is screwed so there is no need for more than one emergency, especially if the other one is 'dodgy'.

I personally will be holding onto Petrie as my F7 until my forward line is completely upgraded and then he will effectively become my super sub until I can afford a better one. But looking at my team cash flow could be a problem and I may not have enough extra cash to have a 23rd premium so Petrie might need to do the job along with my remaining rookies.

3. Higgsy

Higgsy New Member

Exactly the same ruck set up as me. Wasnt sure of the plan intially but think I will keep Petrie as F8 / ruck cover with JTippett R4 and downgrade Smith in a couple of weeks 4 the cash . Couple of rucks debuting this week!

4. damnfunky

damnfunky New Member

thats a smart plan Higgsy. nice one!!!

5. Jay

Jay New Member

I had the same dilemma, same scenario as Higgsy. I've decided to cull the mooing Zac Smith in a couple of weeks (for maybe Bailey, McCauley or R Campbell)instead of Petrie, otherwise I'd have J Tippett as dead weight and Smith only coming onto the ground another couple of times during the season, to cover sex on the beach, otherwise $300k plus just sitting on the pine. If Petrie stays, can cover forwards when required, then cover the rucks when required.

6. J_in_Japan

J_in_Japan New Member

Nice discussion guys.

I was thinking of pulling the plug on Petrie maybe next week down to Lynch but now I'm thinking similarly but will trade down Matera to Lynch and then let Smith make some more cash before trading down to Tippett and keeping Petrie as F8/R3 for the season.

7. Higgsy

Higgsy New Member

Guess we are all in agreement then!

8. Jay

Jay New Member

Slight caveat on my previous comments, trading out of Zac Smith in next couple of weeks may depend on outcome of Sandi's injury :(

9. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Petrie isn't going anywhere from my team at the moment. No trade!

10. banz

banz New Member

The guy is averaging 90 in his last 5, lock in for F7.

11. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Sitting pretty at F7 for me - for the rest of the year if need be. I'm happy to take his up and downs for a 85-95 average. Has been a solid pick up for all those willing to take the punt.

12. TopHeavy

TopHeavy Member

Agreed, best option for both fwd and ruck backup when squad is wearing thin. May cash out on him down the line but not anytime soon.

13. Whyt_ee

Whyt_ee New Member

He's got some considerable BE's comin up but I think I'll be keeping him for a while yet, couple more big scores and cash out. Thanks big fella

14. DC

DC Member

If i had him he wouldnt be going anywhere

15. HardyMat

HardyMat New Member

His scores are very strange, up one week down the next and from looking at the games, from round 5 onwards..., everytime the kanga's have won he has scored low, but when they have lost he has been 100+

Looks like he will score low this week and the kanga's will win lol.

16. eagles2011

eagles2011 New Member

Nth Melb have Syd at home, adelaide at home, then GC in the next 3. He will stay on the field for the next 3 weeks and could easily avg 100+ during these games.

17. Triza

Triza New Member

I'm personally keeping Petrie on the ruck bench along with Z. Smith and at some stage downgrading a forward rookie to J.Tippet so Petrie can be my supersub for the rucks/fwds.

18. Whyt_ee

Whyt_ee New Member

What is everyone thinking now. Some terrible scores lately and money lost. Have you got enough trades left to gamble on his end of season form?

Myself... I don't know

19. ashb

ashb New Member

I'm torn on this..
    Currently have Petrie, Smith, Sandi & Bailey as ruck.
    Consdiering trading Petrie for Cox (using all my cash) and hoping Sandi come back strong. Then trade down Smith and recoup cash.
    I think Petrie is done for the year (as are the Roos generally).
    Having said that I'm in two minds on picking up Cox... I've survived so far without Cox and I feel he'll probably get rested towards the end of the year - WCE have a dream run into the finals and Nic Nat will fill his boots easily against the lower down sides.
    I'm second in my league and playing the top team this week (who has Cox and Smith in ruck). Low risk option is to take Cox (as most others have him)..
    Thoughts..?

20. The_Swert

The_Swert Active Member

He's had 1 poor game, he'll bounce back. He may not average 100 but a solid 90 is still too good to trade out. I'd rather see you trade Smith to Cox as Smith is likely to get another rest soon whereas the Roos need Petrie as they fight for the finals.