Potential Expat League ~

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Simonoz, Feb 8, 2011.

1. easty01

easty01 New Member

<blockquote>Quote from TerryinBangkok on May 18, 2011, 15:22
    Hey easty - I have a few Canadian friends here in Thailand and, while I would like to think your team will win the big one this year, odds are canuck food will kill you before you get to the finals.

Supercoach with mayonnaise and cranberry sauce! </blockquote>

LOL - hopefully it's the former rather than the latter! If you ever get a chance to sample poutine, do so... it's unique - and I mean that in a good way ;)

2. easty01

easty01 New Member

Cheers, Bill - that's Suckling off my list :p

As they say here in this part of the world - bonne chance (good luck) for the weekend... may the green and red vests stay away

3. snoz

snoz Moderator

Just thought I'd pop in & say that Coors Light is a damn fine beer.....All beer over here is 2.5&#37;, the 'light' means calories. Considering my weight hasnt changed in 20 yrs guess it doesnt matter.

Its the #1 beer over here, but I get mocked considerably...they believe that Aussies are real men and cant fathom a 'bloke' drinking it.

And now the mockery on here as well......alas :)

Worst part of drinking US beer for 20 yrs at 2.5&#37;, when I go home and start knocking off cans of VB like I do Coors light, I fall over drunk LOL

4. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Will send you a case of Coopers for our GF Snoz.

5. bjaensch

bjaensch New Member

Good start to the weekend by most of us, although I suspect that scores in general are going to be very high this week. Got my fingers crossed I can get over 2400 for the first time ever. The wildcard for scoring this week is going to be Swans v Hawks at the SCG methinks.

A good mate of mine is Operations Manager for Coopers at HQ in Adelaide and they have a guy on the ground in NYC "developing their market" there (not very successfully he tells me). Simonoz, if you want a list of stockists of some real beer in New York, I'll see if I can get it for you.

cheers,
    Bill

6. TerryinBangkok

Got done (marginally) by Ambassador Anthak - well done ant and all uphill from here. Noticed Snoz had a good win as well, plus some v. high scores in there.

Just when you set yourself a target of 2300, folks raise the bar a hundred or three.

Everyone reasonably happy?

7. J_in_Japan

J_in_Japan New Member

I'm not joking, but because of Bill and his putting the mozz on Suckling, I downgraded Grimes instead of sideways which turned out really well for me.

I can't believe we are slipping in the rankings either. Down to 59.

Does anyone know T-Train? They haven't hit 2,000 in the past 3 weeks .

Happy enough with 2442 but the flip of a coin between Tappt and Petrie cost me 103.

8. bjaensch

bjaensch New Member

I'm very happy with my result on the weekend, best score in SC ever. Woo Hoo! Also managed to go back up the overall rankings into the 2000's from the 6000's, which is a nice improvement although still down on earlier in the season.

Just need to figrue out what to do about Sandi. Mumford maybe (early KOD warning). :)

9. snoz

snoz Moderator

Saturday was the Apocolypse/End of the World...Monday the KOD on Mumford by Bill :)

10. ELeviathan

ELeviathan Active Member

I found Coopers Red in an illicit "bottle shop" in Abu Dhabi a couple of months ago - almost the highlight of my 3 years in the UAE!!!!

11. HanoiHawks

HanoiHawks New Member

Really feel for you Snoz. The only worse country for beer I have lived in is Korea. I remember seing an ad there with a Korean boy band running down the beach throwing Cass beer around. The slogan should have been "Cass Beer - So crap you'd rather throw it at your friends than drink it". In Vietnam I am making do with Tiger and the local brew, Halida. My missus had a big whinge the other day when she bought a six pack of Tiger for me. It cost 60,000 VND, which is about &#36;2.50. That's about 42 cents a can my friends. Can anyone beat that?

12. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

One of the main things I miss about Vietnam lol.

A couple of weeks after arriving back in aus, I went out with a few mates. We only had about 4 or 5 pints each and I spent over &#36;100!! Felt like I was hemorrhaging money, and the night wasn't as enjoyable because of it.

Could have bought nearly 20 cans of Bia Ha Noi for the price of a pint at this pub! Not to mention LaRue - we started drinking that when we went down to Danang - 500ml stubie of great beer, for about 50c

My mrs and I didn't drink much before heading over there, but soon got in the habit... Good place for alcoholics! Haha

13. snoz

snoz Moderator

Notes from afar:
    * Anth ~ 4-5 pints?
    * Hanoi ~ A six pack.....Bloody lightweights :)
    * Turf Toe should only be a RB injury in the NFL
    * May go the scary DD this week
    (Thats double downgrade, not size ya filthy buggers)
    * Coopers, served up at the Oz Embassy often and avail. in a few bar type places here in NYC; for a SA beer it aint bad I suppose
    * 42c a beer...wow....sooooo jealous
    * 30 pack (thats THIRTY Hanoi, not SIX) of Coors light pretty cheap here, &#36;22.00, not bad for water LOL
    * Living south of the Mason Dixon line over is a health hazard ~ if the floods dont get ya the tornadoes will, poor buggers just getting hammered
    * SNOZ was not meant to stick Tibby !!!

14. TerryinBangkok

One of the benefits of SC is that it allows expats to maintain a semblance of cultural touch with Australia. Snoz has had it so good in the US for 20 years, he has probably close to forgotten what it is like for someone to have a dig. That, and drinking 30 cans of water a day.

Surprised Australia rate an Embassy in NYC. Unlike the cousins, most Australians know that Washington DC is the capital of America. Perhaps the 'embassy' is UN, although that is usually described as a mission. And south of the MDL is still where the soul of America resides. Constant pummeling builds stamina (just ask Zac Dawson). Dane Swan will be south of the MDL in the near future - won't score many points there.

Back to SC. Every TS-related league I am in (SC & DT) I am (currently) running close to last. Every public league I am in I am running first. Doesn't that tell us something?

15. snoz

snoz Moderator

Ha...I'm quite sure our Embassy here has an official function, but when you do this math its quite dodgy: In 17 yrs I've been to the Embassy 3 times for 'official' stuff, and 5 times per year for 'social' functions: Thats 3 Vs 85 LOL

SC ~ Noting your Norf notes on main page, it really is quite amazing that major changes arent made to that team Terry....Levi is an obvious in, IF healthy and match fit which I highly doubt, but when you keep trotting out the same team and you keep getting pummeled....I dunno, mix it up a bit maybe and try some bloody other players?

16. snoz

snoz Moderator

With no Isore Smith selection, sadly the D/D cant eventuate this week afterall, a boring & pedestrian like Tappy to Lynch and then thats it I guess; no other rook is ready yet and most of my prem targets are set to still drop a bit yet.

Kinda worried that the GC Flu is going to start coming into play in the 2nd half of the season ~ when we've looked at upgrade targets, those players with the Suns in their future get a big plus, but if teams start resting players agst them...is that 1 1/2 byes we have to calculate now each week?

17. bjaensch

bjaensch New Member

Came back to SIN from DXB a day early just so I could work on my SC team. Gave up a round at the Emirates just to decide who was going to be my KOD for this week. ;-)

There are two potential KOD's this week and I need to pick one. Big issue for me is whether to hang on to Sandi given his bye is not until R16 and not sure how long he will be out for or get GAJ this week and hold for the rest of season as the predictor says he is going to pop back up close to 600k after the big score before the GC bye. I don't think he can score big against the cats though. Also pondering Adcock in the backs as an alternate/another option.

'Tis but a conundrum.

IIRC, Australia does not have "Embassy's" but does have "High Commissions". There is a pretty good chance I am wrong, however.

I reckon I would be in great shape if I drank 30 cans of water a day. May even get rid of my beer gut.

I will advise final KOD decision before lock out.

cheers

18. snoz

snoz Moderator

Maybe the 85 social functions over the yrs did me in, but I've always called it the Embassy....when in fact its the Australian Consulate-General:

http://www.newyork.usa.embassy.gov.au/nycg/home.html

Still, the word 'embassy' is in the url :)

Bill....your now infamous KOD at the last minute? Thats kinda cruel mate ~ come on, tell us who to avoid before its too late :)

19. J_in_Japan

J_in_Japan New Member

Last week Suckling got the nod and spudded it up nicely.

Not sure if to read Lucas' Best buys or trust Bill's KOD.

20. bjaensch

bjaensch New Member

ok gentlemen, I pulled the trigger, so here is this weeks final KOD update.

Decided to bring Adcock into the backline (jacobs in as well) and Batchelor and D. Stanley out.

Almost went Sandi to Goldstein and Harris to S. Thompson, but figured I could wait another week on more/better Sandi news and figured that Z. Smith was up against Vardy and Hawkins and thus would probably do alright against the Cats.

On a slightly defensive note (!), I think it is worth noting that the KOD only appears valid the week I bring them in, most seem to bounce back pretty well the week after..... ;-)

cheers