Final Midfield Upgrade....Swan vs Boyd vs Embley vs Thompson?

Discussion in 'AFL' started by dshaw15, May 24, 2011.

1. dshaw15

dshaw15 New Member

Wondering what everyones thoughts are on the final mid upgrade position and if anyone is having this problem also?

I cant really split these guys on anything other than price a the moment. I wanted Swan earlier in the year but he isn't jumping out at me, his form has dropped of late compared to his standards.

My Mids are currently.....Keepers-Pendles. Juddy. Selwood. Cotchin. Mundy.
    Others-Curnow. Conca. Harris. Libba.
    Curnow is my man to be upgraded.....

2. Chazticles

Chazticles New Member

Hold off for another week or two.

With Swan's high breakeven, even if he does score well this week he is not likely to rise in price too much.

If not, hope that he holds a low price til after his bye, he is definitely the best upgrade target from those four.

Second option would have to be Boyd as he is nearly the most consistent midfielder this year. If he can score 110 in a 120+ losing side he is obviously a great pick.

I would have GAJ in next, only as we have already seen his ability to knock out massive scores such as last week's 198 and 140 early in the season, again in a losing side.

Embley and Thompson are too up and down for mine.

Your midfield looks pretty strong anyways, why not use this weeks trades to upgrade a weaker line?

3. J_in_Japan

J_in_Japan New Member

I know Boyd and Thompson are doing well in a poor sides, but I'd be looking at a mid from a top 6 side purely for the extra points on offer for winning sides.

Swan's form in the past month has been suspect, Embley good, Hodge getting better, Pridis also good. Ablett has had 2 byes and is a similar price.

4. GeneralHodge

GeneralHodge New Member

Swan>Boyd>Thompson>Embley in that order.

5. DC

DC Member

One you forgot to mention is Mitchell

Bargain at the moment.

6. The_General

The_General Member

Maybe the Hawthorn mids are bargains for a reason. I don't like the points share going on between Mitchell, Hodge, Burgoyne, Sewell, Suckling and now Franklin.

Hodge has the potential to put in a 120-130 but I think will regularly get high 90's.

If upgrading now then Boyd, if you can wait then Swan>Boyd>Ablett>Hodge>Thompson>Embley

7. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Mundy and Boyd have pretty high BEs so wait for them to drop a bit. I will be most likely going Krak to one of these before the Pies' second bye.

I'm still not convinced by Ablett. Will wait a week or two.

Hodge is tempting me big time, with the Hawks sharing the ball around a lot. They all scored so well against a bogey side at a bogey ground. And Hodge plays well against the Dogs, who are struggling big time at the moment.

8. clackerz

clackerz Member

My planned upgrades are Boyd>Swan. But I'm liking Thommo as well.
    Not sure if I'm going to do the Boyd trade this week as he still has a fairly high BE, but having said that even if he scores 110ish he won't drop that much.

Thommo would be one to get this week, as his BE is very achievable and he could increase $16-20K+ - similar with Ablett.

9. DC

DC Member

Massive scores from Thompson not including that Melbourne game when the whole team had a SHOCKER!

Does anyone have more info on Thompson..

Does he get tagged every game?

Would love him in my team with their bye in the multi bye round

10. aerodyte

aerodyte New Member

Another thing to consider with Thomson is the crows draw. They have a decent run in the SC finals and their only remaining bye coincides with the SC bye.
    If you're going for league victory I think he's a must, especially given his price.

11. Markaninos

Markaninos New Member

yeah i had planned to do my last midfield trade this week for boyde/priddis/thompson with harris going out, but atm no real good mids have any decent changes up or down. aside from swan which atm has given no reason to get him still..
    consider just a cash up or save your trades or upgrade another area.
    thompson is the only one who will move and by only about 20 with harris moving up more than that with an again very low BE