Dane Swan OUT

Discussion in 'AFL' started by stkildathunda, Jun 2, 2011.

1. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

of Round 12 because he is so injured that he has to fly to Arizona but fit enough to play this weekend!!! Biggest crock of @#&@ ive ever heard.

Yea yea Pies supporters will tell me to shut up but seriously how is a club allowed to get away with that. At least the Hawks/Saints/Freo covered it up in the week of the game, not preempting injury

2. Corks

Corks Member

The AFL has introduced subs, extended season, and crap teams that are effectively a Bye for top teams, so I expect more and more players to be officially rested from games. Happens in other sports, so will happen in AFL.

Completely stuffed for Supercoach of course...about time the AFL paid more attention to Supercoach in their decision making.

3. Flameboy23

Flameboy23 New Member

I thought teams were allowed to select whoever they wanted? :)

4. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Yea im well aware that it will happen in the future, but the AFL has a stand where they want the best players out there every week possible. This just makes a mockery of it.

5. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

Surely it's just a leisurely trip to get over a bit of [general soreness]

6. Whyt_ee

Whyt_ee New Member

Hope it doesn't turn out like Ben Cousin's US bash!

7. eagles2011

eagles2011 New Member

For the conspiracy theroists, it seems like a perfect chance to dope him up with EPO and blame it on altitude training. Seriously though, does this make him more or less desirable as a SC trade in?

8. snoz

snoz Moderator

How is this any different to the Rd 22 bye we've seen in yrs past with the Saints, Cats etc or the 2011 tagline, General Soreness, which weekly has a big name on the sidelines (yes I'm looking at you Enright!)

So Thunda, you have a problem with it because he is gonna gut it out this week, like last week, and because of the schedule, the Pies have determined that the guy needs a rest and can do so with that Monday game followed by the bye? Its the 'planning in advance' thats bad??

We can all see he is running at 75% or less...its not like he is churning out 150 SC scores....so obviously something aint right.

From an SC perspective, at least we can now plan in advance rather than the surprise affliction of General Soreness which throws havoc into our trading plans each week.

9. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

The difference is that they havent preempted these "injuries" weeks out. He has a bye in a few weeks time which if he needs a rest, should be sufficient. Not play through a injury and then all sudden take a game off against a easier opponent just so he can fly to Arizona a few days earlier. If he's fit enough to be playing now why isnt he fit enough to be playing Round 12?

If Collingwood were playing StKilda/Geelong/Carlton/Hawthorn in Round 12 or 14 do you think he would be missing the extra week? I highly doubt it at all...

10. jdOzman

jdOzman New Member

Hmmm... He's gonna be all tired and jet lagged when gets back off that plane. Perhaps he should take a few extra weeks out just to be safe

:p (can you tell I don't have him in my team?)

11. Flameboy23

Flameboy23 New Member

If Brendan Goddard needed a mid season break to refresh himself for a tilt at a flag and st kilda were playing gold coast the week before the bye what do you think the saints would do?

12. BennyC88

BennyC88 Member

<blockquote>Quote from Flameboy23 on June 1, 2011, 23:06
    If Brendan Goddard needed a mid season break to refresh himself for a tilt at a flag and st kilda were playing gold coast the week before the bye what do you think the saints would do?</blockquote>

Pull a Taylor Walker perhaps?

13. Whyt_ee

Whyt_ee New Member

<blockquote>Quote from BennyC88 on June 1, 2011, 23:25
    <blockquote>

Pull a Taylor Walker perhaps?</blockquote>

Yeah that worked well

14. Sainterz12

Sainterz12 Member

<blockquote>Quote from Flameboy23 on June 1, 2011, 23:06
    If Brendan Goddard needed a mid season break to refresh himself for a tilt at a flag and st kilda were playing gold coast the week before the bye what do you think the saints would do?</blockquote>

Goddard was in hospital with what couldve been a serious neck injury yet he's going to tough it out this week. Mental toughness, none of this general soreness garbage.

If anything this is Collingwood saying we have money, eat it, while Port now relies on a disability pension from the AFL.

15. Whyt_ee

Whyt_ee New Member

Mental toughness LOL. where was it earlier this year?

16. Fez

Fez Moderator

Rest Swan this week as well we'll smash the saints this week anyway.

And the thing about us having the money and Port is struggling what u want Collingwood to do??? Donate to port ??? Not spend/use it although it could help our players not sure what you want?

17. torcida

torcida Member

dont rest the bastard - i got him 5 weeks ago and hes been avgin 94 lol . when trades go bad :(

i got no prob with club restin players, surely if someone is not 100&#37; he shouldnt be in clubs best 22.

i know if selwood was runnin at 70-80&#37; like swan is i would rather see someone like duncan play instead of him

18. whips

whips New Member

<blockquote>Quote from whips on May 26, 2011, 09:14
    <blockquote>Quote from stkildathunda on May 26, 2011, 08:40
    Surely the AFL wouldnt allow them to miss a game because they are not in the country, especially if they havent missed games previously to going over for "rehabilitation".

Oh hang on of course they will cos its Collingwood and they get special treatment....</blockquote>

Settle SKT. The AFL took no action against Freo last year when they rested about 12 players.
    Whatever happens, you seem to be setting yourself up for a C'wood/AFL bagging if certain players don't play and you think they should.
    I'll support an argument for the evening out of football dept spend (in the interest of football as a sport rather than business) but that's just my opinion and a totally different argument.</blockquote>

An old argument from a week ago!!
    Also stkthunda, you mention a preempted injury. It's not preempted. He's got it now. He's still playing but he needs to get it fixed.
    When would you suggest is the best time to head to the USA to fix it? I would think one week either side of a bye.
    Let's not turn this forum into a Coll v StK slanging match and at least try to stick to some facts.

19. torcida

torcida Member

i think we got some kind of rotation policy goin without anyone noticin - only 4 players played in every game this yr :)
    bartels kellys or coreys turn this week

20. Sainterz12

Sainterz12 Member

I read an article in the paper this week saying that the proposed altitude training in Arizona will provide no lasting effects. 4-5 days are wasted due to jet lag then at least 2 weeks were required for noticeable results. These effects only lasted in the short term and were effective for maybe the next 2, maybe 3 games.
    It also mentioned that science told us that this will have little benefit on the players, but Collingwood may have other goals to come out of this.

If this research is correct and Swan indeed does altitude training over there, what do they actually expect to get from this..