Sandilands.....Desicions decisions!!

Discussion in 'AFL' started by dshaw15, Jun 8, 2011.

1. dshaw15

dshaw15 New Member

Probably the biggest decision in Supercoach 2011, Is it time to trade Sandilands?

500 odd thousand is a lot of money to just be sitting on the bench, injured.....

He's been out for 2 weeks already, he's supposedly out for another 2-3 and with the history AFL clubs have of injury reporting i'm inclined to believe he is more like 3-4 weeks away.

Love to know if coaches out there are having the same pro and con arguments with themselves as i am and what there thoughts are.....?

2. knotty29

knotty29 New Member

yep, thinking the same thing...

i am going to trade him out as im thinking hes going to be out until say round 15 (im pressuming) when he comes back he has a high break even so will probably drop about 15k in price.

He then has the bye in round 16.

So im getting some value players in and keeping an extra trade in case i want him for finals or earlier.

3. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

I'm looking to drop him too, but is Cox, Smith, Moran (not the best choice I ever made), and one of Vardy, Bailey (a week late on both...) or even Griffin (his JS is near perfect until after Sandi is fully fit, and the way he's been going Freo might take their time to make sure Sandi is perfect, especially if they look like missing finals!) going to be enough to hold the rucks for a while - maybe even the whole season?

4. snoz

snoz Moderator

In line with the above, I'm going to assume that those trading Sandi out are going to already have a combo of Cox/Smith/Petrie or similar.

Are you all thinking that the best way to go is with a 90k schlep Vs a 'semi' safe pick...and by that semi-safe I mean a Vardy or a Griffin. Thats where my head is at right now. I dont think I want a 90k dud that just wont help, I'd rather pay a bit more and potentially rely on them if (god forbid) they are needed...

So that brings us to:

* Vardy - 154k, b/e -56, scores of 31s/76 & 84 and due to go up 50k this week at average

* Griffin - 212k, b/e -74, scores of 100/117 and due to go up 80k at average this week.

Now granted you wont pocket as much cash, but you'll still fill the coffers with 400k or 340k which aint chump change, and you'll have somewhat of asset if needed.

I'd been leaning Vardy last few days, but Griff intrigues me ~ is #1 at Freo as long as Sandi is out...and most likely will stay in when Sandi returns to keep the guy from collapsing or to have the turf toe flare up again.

Thoughts & tks....

5. Fez

Fez Moderator

Knotty makes a great point re his break even and bye.

I've kept him so far as ive had other issues to deal with and Smith has been excellent back-up however i dont have a trade plan this week so maybe Sandilands - J.tippet won't hurt that will give me 500k in the (bank already have 120k) and thats pretty much 3 upgrades (which is all i need to complete my team) leaving me with 7 trades reckon it could be on the cards.

J.Griffen is a good player a i think he will still play when Sandilands comes back however hot nearly enough time in the Ruck to keep him scoring 100+.

Vardy looks like a good get if you want to spend the money, has gone past Hawkins/Mooney and his role on the weekend set Ottens forward and we saw how much that benifeted them.

In summary i think if you have less then 8 trades and have back-up you should hold him and just going for league wins.

Overall pace setters and coaches with 10+ trades it wont hurt i dont think, yet i still havent made my mind up.

6. JamesNanks

JamesNanks New Member

I am considering making a pure money play by trading Sandi for Griffin, then back to Sandi upon return. I've got 15 trades in hand, and it feels like a pretty easy opportunity to make some cash while not compromising team performance.

7. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

Does anyone know anything about Turf Toe? Is it the type of injury that has a higher likelihood of re-occurrence once you've already had it?

I'm wondering if, especially since Griffin is proving to be a suitable replacement, Freo might just hold Sandi back until he is 100% over this, and if that happens to be after their bye, all the better for Griffin, and all the more reason to drop Sandi. I guess I'd hate to have him come back into my side only to re-injure the same foot in the same way!

Personally, I'm seriously looking at Cox, Smith, Griffin to hold my ruck, which I think they all can!

8. theclaud

theclaud New Member

Fez I reckon Sandihands injury couldn't have come at a better time really. Like you mention one downgrade can provide three upgrades. makes sense to me.

And for those who have trades at hand the possibility of getting him back once he returns to form with a possible price drop is, well good business sense....

You need to make that money work on the park.

9. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

@JamesNanks I'm thinking that too... I still have 16 trades, and even if he averages 80 until round 16 he will make me 130k on his current price, and with Cox, Smith and Petrie I have cover as well...

10. pjay79

pjay79 New Member

i traded him out last round, so will make to upgrades this round... already have cox, smith, petrie/tippet.

11. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

There is another thread, simply called "sandilands" which this one seems to duplicate.

12. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

And Best Buys coming soon gives my take on the matter. Watch out...

13. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Slurp, slurp.......can't wait.

14. Fez

Fez Moderator

Thank you Terry (forum police)