Rookie Report - U18s

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Sainter, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Sainter

Sainter New Member

This time last year Andrew Gaff confirmed his status as a top prospect with more than 40 touches as Vic Metro kicked off its AFL National Championship Campaign.

Gaff went to pick 4 to West Coast.

On Saturday, it was Brandon Ellis who bolded his name in the books of AFL recruiters with a blistering 29 possessions, 8 mark game, with one onlooker declaring "he was the best by a considerable margin".

Ellis set up the 80 point demolition of NSW-ACT at Blacktown with one of the most efficient displays seen at underage level.

Brad Crouch, one of the form TAC Cup smalls, enhanced his credentials with a 21 disposal display as Vic Country sank Tasmaniaat Bellerive Oval yesterday.

In TAC Cup action, Jack Solomon made it 16 in 3 weeks with a bag of 6 as Calder smashed Western Jets on Saturday.

Damien Bugeja racked up 29 touches, while Jets captain Adam Kennedy puts his hand up for a Vic Metro reprieve.

Nick Maric kicked 4 goals to steer Northern Knights to a 6 point win against Murray in Wangratta yesterday.

2. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like a few nice players for Sheeds to grab there Sainter :)

3. Sainter

Sainter New Member

Sure does, hoping that one of them at least gets to the Saints, my wish this year is for Ross Lyon not to pick any duds, Cripps, Ledger, Crocker and Siposs were good picks from last year, lets get more of those

4. Sainter

Sainter New Member

IMPRESSIVE performances by Chad Wingard and Lachie Neale helped steer South Australia to a 57-point victory over Queensland in the first round of the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships in Sydney on Saturday.

If it wasn’t for inaccurate kicking in front of goals, booting a combined 5.13 in the second and third quarters, South Australia could have added to its impressive 14.16 (100) to 6.7 (43) win.

Despite kicking the first goal, Queensland didn’t have the clean skills and goalkicking target up forward needed to cause the first upset of the championships.

Wingard, who gathered 20 possessions in a classy display, showed his versatility as a small forward, kicking two goals in a minute early in the third quarter. He looms as a likely target for GWS.

Prolific ball-winner Neale thrived on his opportunity at the national event, collecting 25 touches, including 16 contested, and was the spark SA needed after a slow start.

SA had eight individual goalkickers, led from the front by Sam Mayes who kicked four goals.

Clean skills from Jimmy Toumpas (17 touches and three tackles) helped him emerge as a potential player the Giants can use as a trade incentive. GWS can allocate up to four selections (players who turn 17 between January 1 and April 30) over the next two years to other clubs for players with experience and/or draft selections.

While QLD led for parts of the first quarter, they were no match for SA when its midfielders started to find plenty of the football.

Despite QLD only kicking two goals across the second and third terms, quick left-footer Peter Yagmoor battled hard, finding the footy 18 times, while Josh Wagner (14 possessions and nine tackles) was also prominent.

Queensland 2.3 3.4 4.5 6.7 (43)

South Australia 5.2 7.8 10.15 14.16 (100) 

GOALS

Queensland: Oxley, Thurlow, Russ, Oxley, Cabrera, Starcevich

South Australia: Mayes 4, Carger 2, Wingard 2, Grigg 2, McDonough, Murdoch, Simpson, McDonough

BEST
    Queensland: Yagmoor, Newell, Wagner, Joyce, Boston, Murphy
    South Australia: Waldhuter, Raikiwasa, Grundy, Mayes, McKay, Wingard, Neale

5. higgins69

higgins69 New Member

i work for a player management company with out a doubt devon smith and sam kerriage are two of the most ready made 18yos i have ever seen also a bendigo boy by the name of koe ngawati is the most powerfully built 18 yo midfielder i have ever seen three boys who will make a impact round one

6. Tino

Tino Member

I'm a Westie and two of our best prospects will be Stephen Coniglio and Jaeger O'Meara.

My guess is Coniglio will go top early in the draft and end up at GWS. He's a tough midfielder who can also kick goals.

O'Meara is another midfield player who gets plenty of it. My guess is he will be used by GWS as on-trade bait to lure a ready-made player.

7. Sainter

Sainter New Member

We'll trade Raph Clarke, McQualter, Dawson and Kosi for those 2!

8. Tino

Tino Member

Haha, "ready-made player" not "has-beens".

It will be interesting to see who GWS actually snaps up. It seems that all the players that were hyped up earlier in the year have resigned with their clubs.

Who do you think will make the switch?

9. Sainter

Sainter New Member

Tough one Swan,Pendles and Thomas are out of the equation.....there's definitely been much less talk about it than Gold Coastast year.....it's a bit harsh to say but I do honestly believe that Taylor Walker has already made up his mind.....getting dropped from the side got me thinking about it but the "not a good look" incident ticked it over for me, here are a list of players I think would be good fits for GWS, not necisarilly who i think will sign

Paul Bower - think that Jamison has it good for the blues in defence, and Thornton's form hasn't been too bad, think Bower COULD go, adding to Thornton and Jamison, they have Laidler and White

Paddy Ryder - I don't think it will happen but Ryder would be a good fit, well, Dons have Hille, Bellchambers and a rookie Jenkins. Bellchamber's form had been good while Ryder's has been very poor, Essendon won't be looking to drop Hille

Byron Schammer - out of favour Mid from Freo, i'm pretty sure he isnt injured and he still isn't getting games while Freo have been demolished by injuries

Tom Gillies - Geelong youngster, defender. He could be a good fit but I think Cats are saving him for qhen Scarlett/Milburn retire

Matt Campbell - Injury hit North Melbourne small forward could offer some spark for them up forward

Danyle Pearce - Has been dropped a few times this year and if his form doesn't improve may br willing to make a move

Shane Tuck - Obviously Tigers have something wrong with him, very good midfielder but he's starting to age, I think will be 30 or almost that next season, I think Will Thursfield and Mitch Morton from the Tigers could go

Brendon Goddard - obviously I hate to say this being a Saint supporter myself but the Saints are going right now You can tell Goddard is getting more frustated every week

Daniel Cross - in the same boat as Goddard, Dogs going more poor than the Saints this year

Brad Dalziell - Very good player for Brisbane a few years back and made the swotch to West Coast, hasn't been sighted nor had an impact since

Paul Bevan - Can play anywhere, back or forward, was dropped after the win against Carlton in last years final, after kicking 3 or 4 goals, the most for Swans, ironically, they lost the next week

I think all of these players would be good targets, 1 definite is that they need some aolid defenders, because they won't be able to win with 6 18yos in the backline, get someone like Bock (went to GC) Thursfield/Bower/Patfull

Drummond maybe

10. way2serious

way2serious New Member

Sam Heavyside = Future superstar

16 years of age playing in the U18 Bendigo Pioneers. Sure the pioneers aren't the best going around, but it is only him and one other kid (Kerridge) who turn up to play each week. Was in the best nearly every week until the last couple of weeks as he has had a shoulder issue.

Keep an eye out though, espescially if he grows a bit aswell. He is bulky but just under 6 foot

:) bendigo

11. higgins69

higgins69 New Member

way2serious ur right with sammy heavy
    but ur wrong with its only him and sam kerriage
    koe,jordy and ollie are all stars they just lack depth
    bendigos best 5 are as good as most in the tac cup
    also the full forward knox can take a grab
    and remembering there best player broke his leg
    Jake stringer

12. way2serious

way2serious New Member

Yeh stringer is great, dam that was a nasty break. And yeh I love to watch knox, verticle leap is just amazing and very strong hands aswell :)

But ok maybe they have got a few goodens... hopefully the whole team lifts a bit now that our home ground is just about ready to use again :)

13. higgins69

higgins69 New Member

agreed watch for big finish to the year from koe, jordy and ethan all played there best games for the year on the weekend jake stringer went running for the first time today

14. way2serious

way2serious New Member

Did he (stringer)? wow thought he was defiinately gonna be out all year. yer that would be a bonus if he gets back and if these guys keep performing. i reckon Koe has some potential. but as you mentioned earlier it is the lack of depth. We just need a few more to step up. Ok well thnx for the insight :)

15. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from Sainter on June 7, 2011, 16:32
    Tough one Swan,Pendles and Thomas are out of the equation.....there's definitely been much less talk about it than Gold Coastast year.....it's a bit harsh to say but I do honestly believe that Taylor Walker has already made up his mind.....getting dropped from the side got me thinking about it but the "not a good look" incident ticked it over for me, here are a list of players I think would be good fits for GWS, not necisarilly who i think will sign

Paul Bower - think that Jamison has it good for the blues in defence, and Thornton's form hasn't been too bad, think Bower COULD go, adding to Thornton and Jamison, they have Laidler and White

Paddy Ryder - I don't think it will happen but Ryder would be a good fit, well, Dons have Hille, Bellchambers and a rookie Jenkins. Bellchamber's form had been good while Ryder's has been very poor, Essendon won't be looking to drop Hille

Byron Schammer - out of favour Mid from Freo, i'm pretty sure he isnt injured and he still isn't getting games while Freo have been demolished by injuries

Tom Gillies - Geelong youngster, defender. He could be a good fit but I think Cats are saving him for qhen Scarlett/Milburn retire

Matt Campbell - Injury hit North Melbourne small forward could offer some spark for them up forward

Danyle Pearce - Has been dropped a few times this year and if his form doesn't improve may br willing to make a move

Shane Tuck - Obviously Tigers have something wrong with him, very good midfielder but he's starting to age, I think will be 30 or almost that next season, I think Will Thursfield and Mitch Morton from the Tigers could go

Brendon Goddard - obviously I hate to say this being a Saint supporter myself but the Saints are going right now You can tell Goddard is getting more frustated every week

Daniel Cross - in the same boat as Goddard, Dogs going more poor than the Saints this year

Brad Dalziell - Very good player for Brisbane a few years back and made the swotch to West Coast, hasn't been sighted nor had an impact since

Paul Bevan - Can play anywhere, back or forward, was dropped after the win against Carlton in last years final, after kicking 3 or 4 goals, the most for Swans, ironically, they lost the next week

I think all of these players would be good targets, 1 definite is that they need some aolid defenders, because they won't be able to win with 6 18yos in the backline, get someone like Bock (went to GC) Thursfield/Bower/Patfull

Drummond maybe
    </blockquote>

Definitely agree with you on Walker, I honestly believe he'd already decided to go before the season started.

Can't see them chasing Tuck though, wrong age group - I think they'd prefer to get their experienced players from a mid 20's age group rather than someone pushing 30.

As for Pearce, he's still contracted for 2012 so the Giants will have to wait through their first season before making a play for him, unless they're prepared to trade - his form has been ok since his latest recall after working on a few deficiencies in the SANFL for a few weeks.

Will be very interesting to see who the Giants do end up getting though.

16. higgins69

higgins69 New Member

he signed with eaglehawk tonight hoping to play footy of some form this year all so the mail is 85&#37; chance of going to the cats where he did his AIS week but thats if someone dont pick him up befor cats get there first go his still a at least 8 weeks away thou

17. Sainter

Sainter New Member

Lindsay Gilbee.......hello GWS

18. dabombers

dabombers Active Member

Interesting list on players to GWS, heaps of names will come out from now on til end of season. Just remember its Sheedy's team and he's no fool, and he will have his spine already signed sealed and delivered, just needs to fill in the gaps.

Has anyone out there been keeping an eye out on the possible Father-Son picks coming up?