risky but what the hell

Discussion in 'AFL' started by skiddy, Jun 10, 2011.

1. skiddy

skiddy New Member

i am curently 156th overall and here is my team
    backs lids gibbs newman goddard fisher suckling murphy duigan b.smith pederson
    mids ablett swan pendles mitchell bartell judd hibberd iles jacobs
    rucks cox sandi smith bailey
    fwd franklin harvey goodes pav stevie j jack riewoldt darling mzungu richardson patrick

u may not agree but i think having 7 midfield premiuns might help me catch the leaders. this week i am looking at trading sandi out for vardy and iles out for murphy. this leaves me enough money to swap darling for either chapman or reiwoldt next but leaves just 4 trades. i believe to win overall u must take a risk and 7 midfield preiums means i am strong in the guts which might be my x factor. remember carlton have a good draw and st kilda also have a good run coming up. i realise injuries could kill me but with reasonable good benches and the chance of overall glory i think it's worth the risk. u wont win unless u take a risk albiet calculated

2. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

Skiddy - you're doing much better than most, so us giving advice is kinda inappropriate, but still... I'd be picking an MPP premium mid (say ROK) so you can move him around if required. While is ppg may be a little less, it'll help if you can play all your premiums all the time, rather than having 100+ sitting on the bench each week! my 2 bobs worth.

3. whips

whips New Member

I agree that a risk might need to be taken but 7 premium midfielders doesn't mean risk - it means disaster.
    Fine - Sandi out for Vardy. I can see that.
    But then upgrade Darling for a POD or something similar.
    Your chances are much more likely to come from an injury to a star or two that you don't have.
    It won't come from deliberately trading into a mistake.

And more to the point, having 7 prem MIDs is a safe option to cover for disaster. It ain't a risk option to make ground on the leaders.

You were right on one thing though - "u might not agree".

4. RonBurgundy

RonBurgundy New Member

what I've learnt is wasting trades on rucks gets you minimum return but a 7th premium mid with MPP(genius I reckon) is something I was thinking of also but for the life of me can't stop upgrading forwards and backs given I still need a M6! I'm just crazy though, when will I learn?

5. whips

whips New Member

@RonB
    MPP sure! But the MPP premiums should sit in the FWDs with rookie MPP's in the MIDs.
    The highest scoring players are MID only - not MPP.
    Agree with not wasting trades in the rucks but skiddy needs a risk - so risk the rucks with a Sandi downgrade and let Smith (no byes left) cover.

6. skiddy

skiddy New Member

thanks whips but dont see too many mpp's jumping out my line of thought is that with good bench cover 7 premium mids means that i hopefully will be strong for the next month or so and have chosen players with a good draw and scoring potental can still upgrade darling and hope for the best i realise this is not the norm but niether is winning supercoach

7. JPK

I'd look at picking ROK in the mids, then swapping with Mzungu in the fwds- and keep Mz on the bench until you need ROK in the mids again, then swap back...

8. whips

whips New Member

Fair enough, skiddy.
    Just one other thing, keep an eye on Daniel Talia(ADE) in the SANFL.
    He's a rookie D/F with huge raps who might help with a link to Murphy.
    He's a high draft pick and would be expected to play soon (next week) and have excellent JS.
    156th is brilliant and I wish you good luck.

9. skiddy

skiddy New Member

thanks jpk but with my set up looking for big scores in the mid and think mzunga will score ok in the fowards i believe mpp's are over rated u must score as high as possible and generally that means better mids thats the beauty of supercoach we all have different ideas and if i stuff up then will look to improve next year and like most am addicted to supercoah

10. JPK

good luck to you skiddy - you're doing a shiite load better than me!!!

11. skiddy

skiddy New Member

thanks whips appreciate your input and advice with talia hope i'm going down the right track especially with the byes this year 7 mids could be the difference

12. PIGSTi

PIGSTi New Member

I am trading Sandi out as well, the cash that it will make will allow me to upgrade to bench DPP premiums in my Mids and Fwds which will give me plenty of depth (I will have Knights and Didak on the bench. It will also allow me to upgrade Lynch to Sylvia, Swallow to ROK and Puop to Shaw.

I think the fact that Sandi may not come back until round 17 that the points I will gain from this cash will be priceless and with Griffin playing well they aren't going to rush him back.

13. Drifter74

Drifter74 New Member

Like the theory, but as mentioned think Sylvia, Harvey, ROK, Brennan or even Didak rather than a premium mid works better.

No point having a say M.Murphy on the bench in the mids, whilst having to play a rookie in the fwds.

Rnd 15 and 18 are the only two where I dont have a premium mid/fwd out with a bye, and if the worst thing that happens is that I have to bench one of them in those rounds then that's great news for the rest of the side as highly unlikely as it will be.

14. way2serious

way2serious New Member

Good Luck skiddy, you are in a great possie and so my advice shouldn't mean much as i am one of many NOOB coaches around here (that is in comparison to you, as i was top 1000 last year which i was happy with) :)

But the way i am setting up my team is that i will have Swallow Darling and Heppel on my benches, who are not premiums like yours but are better than 60ppg players. i know a lot of people who beleive heppel will even stay as D7 so yeh i think your tactic is ok. if i had the money and trades i would be trying to do it.

Also though I do agree that if you could get a MPP then that way it will be like you have a prem on the bench in both FWD and MID only using one trade instead of using two to get one in each :)

Goodluck again :)

15. Yeah your overall ranking seems to point to you doing whatever you thinks best, particularly when I'm at least 8,000 places behind you. I think it's a good idea though, the whole point of trading is to get your team "complete" as quickly as possible, but if you then have a complete team and say 6 trades yes you can cover injuries but if you only have 2 trades left and three bench premiums you should be able to cover injuries anyway and have better cover for byes. I agree you should try to get an MPP player to cover both your mids and forwards but if you can't get one you like, go mids all the way

16. torcida

torcida Member

<blockquote>Quote from skiddy on June 10, 2011, 00:20
    i am curently 156th overall and here is my team
    backs lids gibbs newman goddard fisher suckling murphy duigan b.smith pederson
    mids ablett swan pendles mitchell bartell judd hibberd iles jacobs
    rucks cox sandi smith bailey
    fwd franklin harvey goodes pav stevie j jack riewoldt darling mzungu richardson patrick

still think mpp in the mids will be more usefull
    rnd 16 - u got pav and mzungu out means u will be hopin richo or patrick r playin
    rnd 18- goodes - roo - same thing
    same if u get chappy

17. RonBurgundy

RonBurgundy New Member

A solid mid will score more than a MPP but I believe good captain choice and cover from the MPP for byes would surely cover the points you lose and then you have the pressure of which premium to leave on the bench when no byes for mids if they score 150 and an on field has a bad game 80 odd it will burn( I couldn't handle that), that said I'm sitting in 1520th "Periwinkle Blues" so if I start catching you we will know

That's what I love about this game so many options, makes the greatest game in the world just that little bit better

Good luck